Apple Lane to Nochet route?

Scorus

How would someone best get to Nochet from the Apple Lane area and how long would it take? My guess is to catch a boat, or series of boats, from Clearwine down. Or take the roads down from Jonstown to Smithstone and get a boat from there? Skirt the Upland Marsh from Runegate down to Creek-Stream River?

• Like 1

That path would work, but problems include rapids, Beast Valley, and skirting the edge of the Shadow Plateau.  Negotiating with Trolls may not always end well.

Another option is take the Royal and Hendriki Roads from Welmskirk down to Karse, the primary port for good coming to & from Sartar.  From there it's a simple boat ride to Nochet.  The major issue with this route, depending on the year, is Lunar occupation.

Edited by Nevermet

here my note for Aendel's travel, but from Nochet to Clearwine (in 1612)

it is based on @Joerg proposal when I asked

they can take a ship to Karse, and possibly a river barge up the Marzeel halfway to Smithstone, and then use Tarkalor's road and the royal highway to Boldhome.

so here my conclusion: using the data I found (rqg for road travel, google for see travel)

Nochet Karse 160 km  = mirrorsea bay  = 1 week

(ship). I used google trirem to find a possible speed

Karse Smithstone  80km => the issue is how ? with a barge ? I choose by foot because I have no good date about barge speed and it seems slower than foot (my travel is in late sea season, so river should be not very quiet) =  3 days (feet) / 6days (wagon)

Smithstone Whitewall 80km = road 3d / 6d

Whitewall Wilmskirk 80km =  royal road  3d / 6d

Wilmskirk Quackford (via sartar bridge)  2d /4d

Note that Quackford is colymar arnoring + duck

Quackford – Clearwine 50km 2d / 4d

16 hours ago, Scorus said:

How would someone best get to Nochet from the Apple Lane area and how long would it take? My guess is to catch a boat, or series of boats, from Clearwine down. Or take the roads down from Jonstown to Smithstone and get a boat from there? Skirt the Upland Marsh from Runegate down to Creek-Stream River?

Easiest route is to go to Quackford and then head to Wilmskirk, which takes another day. From there you take the King's Road south to Karse, which takes about 5 days. From Karse you can get a boat across the Mirrorsea Bay. So you be able to do it in about a week. That route has good roads the whole way - and Sartarite royal roads from Whitewall to Quackford, complete with inns and places to rest and feed and water mounts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

To cast further afield, what's the main trade from Tarsh and all points beyond?

Is it via Alda-Chur -> Jonstown -> Wilmskirk -> Karse, or

Bagnot ->  Dragon Pass -> Beast Valley -> Valadon, or

Bagnot ->  Dragon Pass -> Duck Point ->Wilmskirk -> Karse?

I'm sure that they are all valid, but which is most popular. The Grazelanders earn significant revenue taxing passing trade, but if the easiest route bypasses their territories how would that work? And what would be the strategic importance of Dragon Pass?

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

Easiest route is to go to Quackford and then head to Wilmskirk, which takes another day. From there you take the King's Road south to Karse, which takes about 5 days. From Karse you can get a boat across the Mirrorsea Bay. So you be able to do it in about a week. That route has good roads the whole way - and Sartarite royal roads from Whitewall to Quackford, complete with inns and places to rest and feed and water mounts.

Are those travel times assuming mounted or foot?

4 hours ago, Psullie said:

The first will support wagons and mules all the way to Karse.  You really won't be able to use wagons on either of the latter two.

The second & third require mules for the journey to Beast Valley or Duck Point.  The second could support switching to boat once you reach navigable waters of the Creek-Stream River and taking boats downriver to Valadon (and ultimately Nochet), though some portaging might be required.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Psullie said:

I'm sure that they are all valid, but which is most popular. The Grazelanders earn significant revenue taxing passing trade, but if the easiest route bypasses their territories how would that work? And what would be the strategic importance of Dragon Pass?

The main trade route to Tarsh is via Alda-Chur and then on to Slave Wall and then Furthest. 

• Thanks 1

A long time ago a group of players went from Sartar to Esrolia and i invented a route that included a path through the Shadow Plateau. 
The characters followed a stream that vanished in the north eastern platrt in a big crack in the Shadow Plateau, and that stream flowed followig tunnels through the Shadow Plateau and finally came out on the fast western end of the Shadow Plateau. The characters were on bord of a very small boat, and their ride was inspired by "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". 
I haven´t looked up if this route would be of use for you, but it was very good MGF anyway. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Psullie said:

Keep in mind that the Grazelands route allows you to move via overland routes and with fewer cities to pass through. Tariffs/taxation in the ancient world are going to be reliant on consistent points of collection, like loading and unloading from ships/boats, or passing through city gates. So if you go through the Grazelands, you have a substantially slower route with worse food and Grazelander tariffs... but if you're shipping into, say, North Esrolia, you skip the Karse-Nochet sea journey and the freighter taking their cut and the additional tariffs there. So, non-perishable goods where you want to maximize your profit margin, or that you want to avoid too many people looking at...

• Like 2

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

15 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

A long time ago a group of players went from Sartar to Esrolia and i invented a route that included a path through the Shadow Plateau. 
The characters followed a stream that vanished in the north eastern platrt in a big crack in the Shadow Plateau, and that stream flowed followig tunnels through the Shadow Plateau and finally came out on the fast western end of the Shadow Plateau. The characters were on bord of a very small boat, and their ride was inspired by "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". 
I haven´t looked up if this route would be of use for you, but it was very good MGF anyway. 

I thought that scenario used the Styx Grotto and landed the punters in the Backwind Marsh?

Telling how it is excessive verbis