Shape-shifters.

Darza

Hello there! I'd like to ask fellow Keepers are there any shape-shifting creatures in Call of Cthulhu bestiary that can be used as a doppelganger and if there are some stat blocks for said creatures in any source books? Thank you all for your answers!)

Nyarlathotep is the ultimate mythos shapeshifter, the most powerful being in the cosmos except for Azathoth, his master.

Interestingly investigators won't necessarily die if they encounter him, though they can expect some robust san checks if they get too involved. Nyarlathotep often gives the impression he just wants people to understand the cosmos, so he might appear as a helper or a false friend, provide a sanity shattering magic spell which is just what investigators need to solve their current dilemma. 

"Under the pyramids" is one of my favourite Nyarlathotep tales.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:58 AM, Darza said:

Hello there! I'd like to ask fellow Keepers are there any shape-shifting creatures in Call of Cthulhu bestiary that can be used as a doppelganger and if there are some stat blocks for said creatures in any source books? Thank you all for your answers!)

Shoggoths have an ability to slurp themselves into various bizarre contortions that can even mimic a human or animal.  Mi-Go can potentially use surgery far beyond human ken to change their bodies.  Serpent People normally have spells they use to disguise themselves as people.  In pervious editions of CoC, werewolves were a thing.  Of course that is only if you want to slavishly adhere to the rules as written. 

If you need a shapeshifter, write one up and find a slot for it within the mythos as you understand it.  For example, in my last CoC campaign, the Mi-Go were similar to the aliens from John Carpenter's "The Thing", being able to genetically hijack bodies if they needed to, and their normal "flying crab" bodies were just a convenient form they used for flying around prospecting at night on Earth.

Seriously, feel free to borrow from folklore.  If you want a skin-walker, just insert one, and retrofit it to the mythos as consistently as you can.  If you want further help with mythos details for your shapechanger, feel free to message me about it.

Edited by Darius West
  • Thanks 1