GMing RQ for the first time in 20+ years

RandomNumber

Inspired by Chaosium, this forum and the Grognard files podcast I ran my first game of RQ in over 20 years today over Roll20 from Sydney for my former schoolmates back in Blighty. Neither of my players had used Roll20 before. As it turned out we had a few AV challenges which we solved by using Discord. This proved to be useful as one of our players was able to continue to participate verbally while he drove his teenage daughter into town.  Life was so much more simple in 1982...

Roll20 worked very well as a medium for RQG. The excellent character sheet makes ALL the difference by simplifying the whole experience of dice-rolling. A debt of gratitude is owed to its developer. I think RQG will work very well for us over Roll20. Of course, we forgot all about doing skill augments but we'll get into the habit.

Actually running the Broken Tower I can appreciate how well crafted it is as an introductory scenario. The steady build of skill rolls, the encounters with Carthalo and Lannike's ghost work very well.  That was as far as we got given the overlap of our timezones but it was a very enjoyable session.  The years just fell away. It was a delight to be actually playing again rather than buying the books as a melancholy tribute to teenage years.

We will be playing again next week. Long may it continue.

Edited by RandomNumber
  • Like 10

11 minutes ago, RandomNumber said:

Life was so much more simple in 1982...

Yes, the internet and online gaming does not make it easier. Just getting ready for today and I find a half hour is required to open all apps and windows, and get ready.

13 minutes ago, RandomNumber said:

I think RQG will work very well for us over Roll20. Of course, we forget all about doing skill augments but we'll get into the habit.

This will come into play as they begin to role-play. Orlanth bless my sword! This ones for my family! etc.

14 minutes ago, RandomNumber said:

That was as far as we got given the overlap of our timezones...

Isn’t intercontinental gaming fun!

15 minutes ago, RandomNumber said:

We will be playing again next week. Long may it continue.

Got a game starting in 45 so I am off for more coffee!

• Like 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

3 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I find a half hour is required to open all apps and windows, and get ready.

Haha, yes. Firefox, Discord, Word, Adobe Reader and Excel (just in case). Plus a couple of beers lined up (GM perk when its your evening and the players are having a morning coffee).

Funnily enough I only referred to the RQG rulebook once in the entire session, to check out whether there was anything I needed to know about Detect Spirit that I mgiht have forgotten.

7 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Got a game starting in 45 so I am off for more coffee!

Enjoy!

7 minutes ago, RandomNumber said:

Funnily enough I only referred to the RQG rulebook once in the entire session, to check out whether there was anything I needed to know about Detect Spirit that I mgiht have forgotten.

A player of mine made this suggestion and it works on a couple of levels. Ask the players to look up stuff! Hey got a beer, just about to start and I could use one! What do you mean it is only 8:30ish in the AM. Which time zone? Huh, which?

13 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Yes, the internet and online gaming does not make it easier.

From the point where I first got RQ in 1982, to the point where I was actually able to find/establish a gaming group, was 5 YEARS.  Internet and online gaming DOES make it easier!

(But it does make it different, too!  and with different challenges.)

8 minutes ago, RandomNumber said:

Funnily enough I only referred to the RQG rulebook once in the entire session

And that's a good thing!

2 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

From the point where I first got RQ in 1982, to the point where I was actually able to find/establish a gaming group, was 5 YEARS.  Internet and online gaming DOES make it easier!

Or possible, in pandemic times... Hey, listen I live in a northern isolated D&D playing city. What’s your excuse? Five years, gads! 🙂