Bug reports

Trifletraxor

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... OK. Perhaps playing with transparency on the covers background to make the headline and menus stand out more?

SDLeary

I was thinking of suggesting adding shadow to the Menus to make them standout, but didn't want to praise and criticism in the same post.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Hmmm... OK. Perhaps playing with transparency on the covers background to make the headline and menus stand out more?

Transparancy, do you mean blurring the covers?

I was thinking of suggesting adding shadow to the Menus to make them standout, but didn't want to praise and criticism in the same post.

Yes, the menues would look much better just by changing their colors, but there's a bug in the software that hinders that. Should be fixed with the maintenance release that is scheuduled this week.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Transparancy, do you mean blurring the covers?

Yes, the menues would look much better just by changing their colors, but there's a bug in the software that hinders that. Should be fixed with the maintenance release that is scheuduled this week.

SGL.

Not blurring, no. Adjusting the transparency will soften the contrast between elements on the covers, making them somewhat translucent and allowing some of the background to bleed thru. This should allow the headline and menu to stand out more.

SDLeary

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Triff,

I was just in the Ashes to Ashes thread. In the product description it points to some reviews with a link, but the link is broken. Also, I'm not sure how else to navigate to those reviews - where are they kept?

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Yup. I'm actually waiting for an update of that piece of software. Turns out the old version is not compatible with the new forum software. The new one is at Beta 3 now, should go gold in not too long time. Talking about the Review section, do you think it adds usefull value to the site, or could the review aspects just as easily be maintained in the product threads? (Old reviews could easily be transferred there) I'm leaning towards keeping it and putting it back up as soon as the new software is ready, but have noticed it's not really that much used, with most members preferring to voice their opinion in the product threads.

SGL.

What about a rating system like Amazon has - wherein people can give a simple star rating to a product and those are automatically tallied, and people can also leave a short (or long) written review, too. Is that possible?

One issue that I can see is that this is a friendly community, and people will probably be reulctant to write reviews of products they didn't like for fear of offending their friends. This could result in a lack of reviews. I'm thinking the anonymous star system might be a way to get around that. It wouldn't replace actual in-depth reviews, but could maybe supplement.

If the reviews are buried in threads, new people will never find them. They need to be somewhere that's easy to find, which means they need to be in a dedicated section that you can link to from the product main page.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

You could keep it as the forum's area for longer reviews, and perhaps provide

links from there to the discussions in the products threads ?

That's the way it's been so far. Links to and from the review and supplement threads.

What about a rating system like Amazon has - wherein people can give a simple star rating to a product and those are automatically tallied, and people can also leave a short (or long) written review, too. Is that possible?

Not currently, at least not with the review software. But maybe I could tweak the threads in this subforum that way. I'll have to check that out.

If the reviews are buried in threads, new people will never find them. They need to be somewhere that's easy to find, which means they need to be in a dedicated section that you can link to from the product main page.

That could be easily fixed by adding links from the first post of the product thread to the longer review found in that thread.

SGL.

I must admit I'd prefer to keep the reviews as a seperate section as they were beforehand. I don't think fear of offending people will stop the posting of reviews...I think we're all big enough here to accept valid criticism and acknowledge differences in taste and opinion.

I suspect what's stopping the posting of reviews is sheer laziness ( or inertia if you want to be more forgiving ;) )