Time to Republish Dorastor

Squaredeal Sten

Looks to me as if it might be time to re-publish "Dorastor, Land of Doom" as a Runequest Classic.

Why?  isn't it a PC-killer, likely to grind up Rune levels and spit them out?

So i hear ... and my players would never go there...  but Amazon has it posted for $790!    https://www.amazon.com/Dorastor-Land-of-Doom-Runequest/dp/1560380748/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Dorastor%2C+land+of+doom&qid=1621742022&sr=8-1

You could cut that price in half and still break even pretty quickly if it sold -  or to 1/20th  as a PDF!

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
thought
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

So i hear ... and my players would never go there...  but Amazon has it posted for $790!

Shit they can have my dogeared copy for a cheap 200 bucks.... nah. I think I will keep it. It’s pretty cool, party killer or not!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

24 minutes ago, brionl said:

That's an Avalon Hill title. Does Chaosium even have the rights to reprint that?

Yes. Rick confirmed a while back that Chaosium has the rights to reissue every Avalon Hill RuneQuest title.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Looks to me as if it might be time to re-publish "Dorastor, Land of Doom" as a Runequest Classic.

So i hear ... and my players would never go there...  but Amazon has it posted for $790!    https://www.amazon.com/Dorastor-Land-of-Doom-Runequest/dp/1560380748/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Dorastor%2C+land+of+doom&qid=1621742022&sr=8-1

You could cut that price in half and still break even pretty quickly if it sold -  or to 1/20th  as a PDF!

How much overlap in usefulness is there with @soltakss's Secrets of Dorastor? I've actually got both (managed to find my RQ3 Dorastor copy for somewhere in the 60 range, I think? Around a year ago) but I haven't taken the time yet to read each comprehensively.

If the JC title covers similar ground, maybe that's simpler for Chaosium than to go through the process of making a reprint?

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

14 minutes ago, Crel said:

How much overlap in usefulness is there with @soltakss's Secrets of Dorastor? I've actually got both (managed to find my RQ3 Dorastor copy for somewhere in the 60 range, I think? Around a year ago) but I haven't taken the time yet to read each comprehensively.

Not familiar with soltakss work (but I am sure it is good). Dorastor is a mixed bag. In some ways it is one of the best things to come out of RQ3, but it has a significant portion is that is unplayable for any but the superheroes, and certainly for the beginning characters you are encouraged to roll for a new Heortling clan. But the superhero material is SUPERCOOL as is the beginner stuff! So, mixed bag. 

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 4

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, Crel said:

Secrets of Dorastor does not really cover those areas covered in Dorastor Land of Doom. Where it does it mentions the page reference and a brief summary. So, Secrets of Dorastor extends the places of Dorastor, has a lot more Personalities and Monsters, with loads of Scenario Hooks.

So, there is very little overlap.

2 hours ago, Crel said:

If the JC title covers similar ground, maybe that's simpler for Chaosium than to go through the process of making a reprint?

Although all Jonstown Compendium supplements carry the Chaosium logo and come under Chaosium on DTRPG, Chaosium have absolutely no input into any of my Jonstown Compendium supplements.

4 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Although there is a lot of fan appetite for the good RQ3 supplements to be republished, I doubt if it will happen soon. Apparently, it is a lot of work to redo these and Chaosium have a lot on their plate at the moment, preferring to publish new material rather than rehash 30 year old material.

The propaganda about Dorastor being a truly awful place is just that, propaganda. A well-prepared, powerful and lucky group of Adventurers is likely to survive very well around the borders of Dorastor and could easily penetrate the interior several times before getting into real trouble.

Personally, I am not one of those GMs who would kill a party just because they can. I prefer scenarios with a lot of threat and danger but which are ultimately survivable. That is my Dorastor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

Kinda related: was Risklands: Further adventures in Dorastor every anything more than a title?

I don't think so, I never saw or even heard of it being published. It was mentioned at the back of the Dorastor book somewhere wasn't it ? Along with a supplement called Gods of Dorastor which also never saw the light of day.

1 minute ago, Agentorange said:

I don't think so, I never saw or even heard of it being published. It was mentioned at the back of the Dorastor book somewhere wasn't it ? Along with a supplement called Gods of Dorastor which also never saw the light of day.

Yup, page 108 mentions both. Given the list of gods mentioned, Gods of Dorastor is just another name for Lords of Terror  I think.

1 minute ago, metcalph said:

Lords of Terror (being a reworking of Cults of Terror) was published

Indeed, a fine supplement. I was never quite sure if Lords of terror was instead of Gods of Dorastor. I'm sure I read somewhere that Gods Of Dorastor was going to be more in depth  - extra material for all the gods concerned, more spirit and hero cults etc.  I guess we'll never know

1 minute ago, Agentorange said:

Indeed, a fine supplement. I was never quite sure if Lords of terror was instead of Gods of Dorastor. I'm sure I read somewhere that Gods Of Dorastor was going to be more in depth  - extra material for all the gods concerned, more spirit and hero cults etc.  I guess we'll never know

Eh?  Lords of Terror is exactly what you said Gods of Dorastor was going to be!

On 5/24/2021 at 2:19 AM, PhilHibbs said:

It has occurred to me that a lot of Sartarite troublemakers were exiled to Dorastor, and now that the Lunars have been overthrown in Sartar, they could return. They might need help.

But what would they return with?
In The Far Place no one can hear you scream?

On 5/23/2021 at 6:19 PM, PhilHibbs said:

It has occurred to me that a lot of Sartarite troublemakers were exiled to Dorastor, and now that the Lunars have been overthrown in Sartar, they could return. They might need help.

This is certainly possible, but at the moment, it's anybody's guess if the liberation will last, and it will doubtlessly be war-torn for a while either way. And if you just want to fight Lunars, there are ample opportunities closer at hand.

Traditionalists might even find Talastar a more appealing place - no toying with draconic magics here, and the new king is cleaning house of the appeasers without being some kind of Illum— oh damnit!

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2021 at 4:43 AM, Agentorange said:

soltakss and I have also published Holiday Dorastor: Temple of Heads  https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/356993/Holiday-Dorastor-The-Temple-of-Heads?affiliate_id=66807

as further adventures in Dorastor. That does not have additional Riskland campaign stuff, but the one we are working on Holiday Dorastor: Spider Woods will and could be integrated with an existing Riskland campaign. After that we are working on Holiday Dorastor: Seven Hills. We are considering more, but got enough on our plates as is. 

4 minutes ago, Godlearner said:

Holiday Dorastor: Spider Woods will and could be integrated with an existing Riskland campaign.

Ooh, this will be an instant buy for me. My PCs already had a brief sojourn there that went surprisingly well (they did it in winter).

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

I am adding a Riskland Campaign to Spider Woods at the moment.

Why doesn't this interface have a ❤️-button?!

Also, what year are you going with? The 1617 of Dorastor or the 1625 of "modern" time?

Edited by Akhôrahil