Unexpected Job Opportunity!

Nothing to do with Chaosium.. but it's about gaming (ahem, video gaming..) and also.. I am ecstatic right now! 

I am kind of vaguely looking for a new job, I stress vaguely, made only 2 applications in the last 2 months...
But, but, but.... got an email for an interesting looking job Wednesday from an HR company.... though it's in goddamn Melbourne! 😕 

But work remotely is available and pays well.... got a call from the HR today.. the job is with fucking EA Games! The publisher! To work with the FrostByte team (the team that create their top of the line gaming engine)!

I can't fucking believe it! Now I better ace the interview process!

Thankfully with my 180% skill in programming, 89% seniority (quite good resume), 35% Influence (ahem), I will crush all competition and ace it! 😄 

• Like 1

Well I got some root in sunny Brisbane... Plus I wanted to resist the pull that got so many of my friends! Brisbane for ever! 😄 

But well, ahem, we shall... and let's get that job first!
(Currently doing sample ask they asked me for interview.. it's taking longer than it should 😮 ) 

8 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Well I got some root in sunny Brisbane... Plus I wanted to resist the pull that got so many of my friends! Brisbane for ever! 😄 

But well, ahem, we shall... and let's get that job first!
(Currently doing sample ask they asked me for interview.. it's taking longer than it should 😮 ) 

I know how you feel about your home town. I live in between Seattle and Portland in the US Pacific Northwest, and I swear that I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than move to either one. But then, both cities are strongholds of the more idiotic branch of the Liberal tree, so....

Haha, go Sea Patrol!

Well.. every body goes to Melbourne! So.. I want to be the one who didn't!
Also... Ahem, I did live there for 2 month.. going anywhere take like 1 hour, minimum.. And it's so goddamn cold as well, they got penguins!
And even in summer, almost no one go for a swim in the sea!

Edited by Lloyd Dupont
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Haha, go Sea Patrol!

Well.. every body goes to Melbourne! So.. I want to be the one who didn't!
Also... Ahem, I did live there for 2 month.. going anywhere take like 1 hour, minimum.. And it's so goddamn cold as well, they got penguins!
And even in summer, almost no one go for a swim in the sea!

So, I get the sense that Melbourne's weather is similar to the PNW's... which would be FINE with me! I got way too many Swedes in the family tree for hundred degree [38C] shit 😁 I'm an American Civil War reenactor and when I went back to Gettysburg for the 150th anniversary, I swear to God I spent the week just running from one AC-equipped building to the other! I'm not just built for 100F and 100% humidity.

And yeah, the traffic would suck. In Western Washington where I live, we don't count how many miles something is... we count how many traffic jams! lol!

7 hours ago, svensson said:

Apropos of absolutely nothing whatsoever, I've been watching an old Ozzie TV series, 'Sea Patrol', on youtube lately.

That ain't old... Try finding the 70s "Barrier Reef" show... At least one episode had the on-board computer take control of the ship -- when some crank had hijacked it because he objected to the scientists for some reason.

Given that was a hybrid motor/sail ship, and the time period, that was rather futuristic servo controls. Ship had them as it was used for surveys and needed computer guidance of the search pattern... Using LORAN I suspect as it was 15 years before common GPS was available.

4 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

That ain't old... Try finding the 70s "Barrier Reef" show... At least one episode had the on-board computer take control of the ship -- when some crank had hijacked it because he objected to the scientists for some reason.

Given that was a hybrid motor/sail ship, and the time period, that was rather futuristic servo controls. Ship had them as it was used for surveys and needed computer guidance of the search pattern... Using LORAN I suspect as it was 15 years before common GPS was available.

How about the old British series 'Warship'... similar premise, set in Gibraltar

On 5/29/2021 at 3:32 AM, svensson said:

I live in between Seattle and Portland in the US Pacific Northwest, and I swear that I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than move to either one. But then, both cities are strongholds of the more idiotic branch of the Liberal tree, so....

Dude, you so clearly need to get out more often.

@Lloyd Dupont - Congratulations on the new opportunity!

!i!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

1 hour ago, Ian Absentia said:

Dude, you so clearly need to get out more often.

@Lloyd Dupont - Congratulations on the new opportunity!

!i!

What can I say? I'm from Tacoma WA. We learn 'F#@K SEATTLE!' with our mother's milk. Of course, that doesn't stop me from being a lifelong Seahawks fan, but a fair amount of personal hypocrisy is healthy, right? 😁🤣

• Haha 3

I'm just saying, I can introduce you to a couple of hotbeds of reactionary conservativism right next door, and we get along just fine.  Noticed the same thing when I lived in San Francisco, too.  As ever, the common man is divided against our real, mutual enemy.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
  • Like 2

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

1 hour ago, Ian Absentia said:

I'm just saying, I can introduce you to a couple of hotbeds of reactionary conservativism right next door, and we get along just fine.  Noticed the same thing when I lived in San Francisco, too.  As ever, the common man is divided against our real, mutual enemy.

!i!

Very true, at least in democracies.

I describe myself as a Centrist /Moderate, but I recognize that the Puget Sound is a liberal bastion. My version of 'Centrist' is 'dope smoking hippie' to some and 'jack-booted militia member' to others. Goes with the territory, I guess. OTOH, I tend to find myself annoyed and disgusted with both sides of aisle an awful lot of the time.

1 hour ago, svensson said:

Very true, at least in democracies.

I describe myself as a Centrist /Moderate, but I recognize that the Puget Sound is a liberal bastion. My version of 'Centrist' is 'dope smoking hippie' to some and 'jack-booted militia member' to others. Goes with the territory, I guess. OTOH, I tend to find myself annoyed and disgusted with both sides of aisle an awful lot of the time.

The word you're looking for here is "polarization."

A bunch of left-center and right-center people, who USED to be much closer to one another than they were to the fringes, have drifted fringe-ward over the years in repugnance at the excesses of the OPPOSITE fringe...  And there ARE excesses, on both fringes.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

10 hours ago, g33k said:

The word you're looking for here is "polarization."

A bunch of left-center and right-center people, who USED to be much closer to one another than they were to the fringes, have drifted fringe-ward over the years in repugnance at the excesses of the OPPOSITE fringe...  And there ARE excesses, on both fringes.

Completely agree here. Another is that the so-called center is not exactly at the same position everywhere and is sometime shifting on one direction or the other. So, my right is sometime your left (or the opposite) or have a shift to one direction that is less than the overall, meaning you went toward one end but end more deeply in the other (my case).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Kloster said:

Completely agree here. Another is that the so-called center is not exactly at the same position everywhere and is sometime shifting on one direction or the other. So, my right is sometime your left (or the opposite) or have a shift to one direction that is less than the overall, meaning you went toward one end but end more deeply in the other (my case).

Speaking as a person who is all too given to interrupting the segue to the digression of the off-topic side discussion, I think we've all jumped the track here.

I'm all for a respectful and interesting discussion of politics. I really enjoy finding out how people think and why their views are the way they are. It drives my wife nuts. But I realize that conversation requires participants who are determined to suppress their triggers and be inoffensive themselves.

But that's not what we're doing on this thread. Lloyd got himself a peach of a job and we're all congratulating on that. So let's not pee on his parade, ok?

PS: No one is being offensive that I've noticed, and I'm certainly not feeling poked-at. But I inadvertently started this side-bar and think it's my responsibility to try and bring it back on track. My apologies to everyone.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, svensson said:

I'm all for a respectful and interesting discussion of politics. I really enjoy finding out how people think and why their views are the way they are. It drives my wife nuts. But I realize that conversation requires participants who are determined to suppress their triggers and be inoffensive themselves.

Completely agree here.

3 hours ago, svensson said:

But that's not what we're doing on this thread. Lloyd got himself a peach of a job and we're all congratulating on that. So let's not pee on his parade, ok?

OK!!!

• Like 1