Are duck coward?

Beorne

Reading various sources I tought ducks were brave amd successfull respected warriors, then I found in RQ:G Bestiary:

"Most ducks have a special 
Passion of Cowardly 60%, which acts in a similar fashion 
to Honor but enforces craven behavior."

How this is possible? Are ducks cowards or fierce warriors?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Beorne said:

Reading various sources I tought ducks were brave amd successfull respected warriors, then I found in RQ:G Bestiary:

"Most ducks have a special 
Passion of Cowardly 60%, which acts in a similar fashion 
to Honor but enforces craven behavior."

Thanks

In my Glorantha the common duck individual (worshippers of Orlanth, Ernalda) are "cowardly" in a way that they want to live their lives in peace and harmony; they just wan´t to do their things. 
Not so much different from other Orlanthi folk (that means about 85%; the Orlanthi All"). The other 15% are different, and my ducks of this category are extremists in their ways. And the Humakti in perticular. 

Edited by AndreJarosch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As written, "most' are cowards. 

There is a problem with their being fierce warriors:  They don't have the SIZ or ST to mix it up in melee on land.  Negative hit bonus and high strike rank.

However your non-typical Humakti duck might just slice and dice you.

So folks who assume that of ALL ducks and proceed to bully them are playing Russian Roulette.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Beorne said:

Are Pierson's Puppeteers cowards? (Niven, Known Space universe) -- in at least one book it is pointed out that the tendency to "run" from a perceived threat is accompanied by using both heads to triangulate on said threat, which is thereby positioned for a severe kick by the puppeteer's central/hind leg.

That's not to say some ducks might be quivering outside a city's walls, slowly leaving yellow stains in their feathers...

A "coward" duck might have high stealth skills to avoid being noticed, and maybe a specialty in back-stabbing <G>

Edited by Baron Wulfraed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Beorne said:

Given a sizeable portion of the duck population have a negative damage bonus, the fierce warriors don't tend to last long.  Assume that a young and inexperienced duck might be fierce, and a very old duck might be fierce, but most ducks are realists, and that means cowardice.  In short, ducks are fierce when they outnumber you 6:1 from behind in the dark.

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just look at Donald Duck. Unquestionably a successful and respected warrior, unquestionably a coward. Or Howard the Duck. A recognized master of the 36th Nest of Quack Fu, fighter of vampires and bell-themed supervillains, and definitely at 75% or maybe even 80% Cowardly. 

• Like 3

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

2 minutes ago, Eff said:

Just look at Donald Duck. Unquestionably a successful and respected warrior, unquestionably a coward. Or Howard the Duck. A recognized master of the 36th Nest of Quack Fu, fighter of vampires and bell-themed supervillains, and definitely at 75% or maybe even 80% Cowardly. 

What about Daisy?... I'm pretty sure she had no cowardly aspects or passions... in fact she was usually frustrated by Donald's immaturity (read cowardliness??) and went on dates with Donald's rival Gladstone Gander (possibly the first inter species kiss on TV)

This was a woman who had a strong sense of herself and her own mind but sadly diminished by the structural sexism of the time by being reduced to a small part in movies, TV and comics

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Beorne said:

How this is possible?

The rules describe some Ducks, or most Ducks, not all Ducks.

13 hours ago, Beorne said:

Are ducks cowards or fierce warriors?

Some are cowards, some are fierce warriors.

In fact, most are cowards, hiding away in the Upland Marsh and living peaceful lives.

Those outlawed by the Lunars fled to other areas and live cowardly lives as bandits or thieves, being outlaws.

The brave ones usually join Humakt or, occasionally, Orlanth and Storm Bull.

• Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 6/2/2021 at 1:38 AM, Eff said:

To be honest, cowardice is not the way I would describe Donald or Scrooge based on what I saw of them in DuckTales or in the old Carl Barks stories. For that matter my Orlanthi characters would probably become worried if they ever heard a duck on the other side say the words, "Let's get dangerous!". ^_^

Edited by Nick Brooke
Deleted duplicate quote.

Let's face facts.  The role ducks play in the Hero Wars is that they are formed into squads by Argrath, and then they are sent into the Upland Marsh due to their movement bonus over swamp as emissaries to Delecti, who then turns them into zombies as payola for joining the Sartarite cause.  To be fair, it takes some bravery to be marched to your undeath, and duck fatalism (and quite possibly a sense of species based depression) likely plays a role in this, but it is not a cowardly act in the slightest. 

4 hours ago, Denethor said:

To be honest, cowardice is not the way I would describe Donald or Scrooge based on what I saw of them in DuckTales or in the old Carl Barks stories. For that matter my Orlanthi characters would probably become worried if they ever heard a duck on the other side say the words, "Let's get dangerous!". ^_^

I'd be spending my time trying to understand what they had said... too many lisped esses....

20 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Please note that neither, Donald, nor Daisy, (or Gladstone Gander) are the models for the ducks in Glorantha.

In our Glorantha, we call Duck Point Duckburg, and therein lives the world's richest duck...

7 hours ago, Darius West said:

Let's face facts.  The role ducks play in the Hero Wars is that they are formed into squads by Argrath, and then they are sent into the Upland Marsh due to their movement bonus over swamp as emissaries to Delecti, who then turns them into zombies as payola for joining the Sartarite cause. 

True, but I have also used them with some Beast Valley and Crested Dragonewt units as mass archers, with limited success, mainly due to be abysmal dice rolling when playing Dragon Pass.

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

On 6/2/2021 at 10:50 AM, soltakss said:

In fact, most are cowards, hiding away in the Upland Marsh

Isnt that kind of like saying some coward is hiding away in Yemen during it's current civil and external war in order to live peacefully?

:50-power-truth::50-sub-light::50-power-truth:

2 minutes ago, Jape_Vicho said:

Isnt that kind of like saying some coward is hiding away in Yemen during it's current civil and external war in order to live peacefully?

Not really.

The typical view of Ducks are that they are bold fighters of undead, warring with Delecti's Minions, but most aren't, they hide away in the Upland Marsh, avoiding anyone who would attack them for bounty and so on.

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

True, but I have also used them with some Beast Valley and Crested Dragonewt units as mass archers, with limited success, mainly due to be abysmal dice rolling when playing Dragon Pass.

If you turn ducks into zombies you double their strength (from 1 to 2), plus ally Delecti.  Plus in some scenarios you can re-recruit them after they are taken off the board.  I am not saying massed archery isn't potentially valuable, but ducks are objectively better when turned into zombies, i.e. when converted into a different unit.

Edited by Darius West