What happened to bastard swords in Glorantha?

Bren

14 hours ago, Brian Duguid said:

In RQ, with easy availability of magical blessings to deflect weapon strikes, there will be fewer reasons to choose a shorter, lighter weapon.

Except that quicker strikes with magically enhanced weapons leads to higher damage - Although RAW doesn't allow for this 😞 There should be a mechanic for short, quick repetitive thrusts. And when there is, those 1D4 +4 (Bladesharp) thrusts 3 or 4 times in a couple of seconds are going to be nasty.

23 hours ago, Brian Duguid said:

People don't choose cult loyalty in the real-world based on a utilitarian evaluation of the magical benefit, otherwise nobody would support Coventry FC. People are stubbornly loyal to failed concepts long after they have been shown to be actively harmful to their own interests.

*snortlaugh*😁 Good example.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:
On 7/22/2021 at 6:32 AM, Brian Duguid said:

In RQ, with easy availability of magical blessings to deflect weapon strikes, there will be fewer reasons to choose a shorter, lighter weapon.

Except that quicker strikes with magically enhanced weapons leads to higher damage - Although RAW doesn't allow for this 😞 There should be a mechanic for short, quick repetitive thrusts. And when there is, those 1D4 +4 (Bladesharp) thrusts 3 or 4 times in a couple of seconds are going to be nasty.

It has been discussed in other threads before but, because of the way RQ uses AP and the way damage scales often times Big Swings are much more effective at bringing down both Men and Beasts, with or without badass magic and/or equipment. 

This is one area I really hope we can get some optional more crunchy rules in the GM book or a Jonstown publication. Things like a flurry of blows from an opponent with a dagger that closes on the Greatsword bearing Sword of Humakt. Rather than just trading Attack rolls once or MAYBE twice a round until the skill levels get really high. I would like to see a good reason for the Sword to switch to Daggering with the closed opponent, turning the fray into a storm of blades between the foes.

I also REALLY loved the incidental knockback rules from RQ3, we still use them for Huge Swings that connect with PCs or Foes. It is just WAY TOO MUCH FUN, for enemies/allies to get knocked around battlefields, into cavern walls, off boats, or through ruined walls. Some of our most cinematic encounters came from incredible Parried Crits that sent a PC and his limb hurtling across the battlefield on a HeroQuest or epic encounter. 

On 7/24/2021 at 3:50 AM, HreshtIronBorne said:

It has been discussed in other threads before but, because of the way RQ uses AP and the way damage scales often times Big Swings are much more effective at bringing down both Men and Beasts, with or without badass magic and/or equipment. 

This is one area I really hope we can get some optional more crunchy rules in the GM book or a Jonstown publication. Things like a flurry of blows from an opponent with a dagger that closes on the Greatsword bearing Sword of Humakt. Rather than just trading Attack rolls once or MAYBE twice a round until the skill levels get really high. I would like to see a good reason for the Sword to switch to Daggering with the closed opponent, turning the fray into a storm of blades between the foes.

I also REALLY loved the incidental knockback rules from RQ3, we still use them for Huge Swings that connect with PCs or Foes. It is just WAY TOO MUCH FUN, for enemies/allies to get knocked around battlefields, into cavern walls, off boats, or through ruined walls. Some of our most cinematic encounters came from incredible Parried Crits that sent a PC and his limb hurtling across the battlefield on a HeroQuest or epic encounter. 

I'm aware...

The concept of a melee round being a summary of all the feints, jabs, parries, etc... Rather than an actual single attack... 

Never sat well with me... 

• Like 1