Because READ THE GODDAMN BOOK!, that's why!

14 minutes ago, svensson said:

Just had to shut down a flame war on youtube over the usage of Sindarin in Dunedain names in LotR.

Does that mean my Cosmic Geek Powers just flared again?

Seriously, do NOT toy with my Tolkien-Fu!

Tolkien, tolkien........wasn't he the bloke that wrote all those Narnia stories ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, svensson said:

I dunno... didn't he write Dragonriders of Pern or some shit? Had to do with dragons, I know that much... 😂😁

I think he also did the novelisation of those amazing hobbit movies. I bought the book all excited to read it then I got confused and kept wondering why he kept skipping all the awesome scenes from the movies. 

• Haha 5

52 minutes ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

I read the book like 3 times when I was 16 (that's a long time ago 😞 )...

I forgot everything, except that it starts quite slowly, but action pick up after page 200 or something... 😛 

Try the Silmarillion... The first part is basically the equivalent of biblical "Genesis"... And I think that's as far as I ever got with it.

I was given LotR as a birthday present (appropriately) and read solidly till finished.  Rinse, repeat...  By my 18th birthday I calculated that I had read it 16 times.  I think I was a tad obsessive!  43 years later that total must be around 35 - 40.  Silmarillion is astoundingly better, though.

One thing I have learnt from all of this is - it's a series of novels set in a world. 

I quite enjoy it, despite the racism implicit to the time of writing.  Avoid the Quenya elitists and all Sindarin flame wars.  It's a series of novels, no more.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ali the Helering said:

I was given LotR as a birthday present (appropriately) and read solidly till finished.  Rinse, repeat...  By my 18th birthday I calculated that I had read it 16 times.  I think I was a tad obsessive!  43 years later that total must be around 35 - 40.  Silmarillion is astoundingly better, though.

I said on a different social media (discord) that I had plowed through the series (minus appendices) over a three day bout of influenza (ah, simpler times and simpler illnesses) in my mid-twenties. By that time, I had read it since my thirteenth year at least once a year. I have slowed and have no idea how many times I had cracked the spine to read,  "This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history. Hell, that would be enough, before long... I would be back in the Shire with the much changed Hobbits bringing some of the foreign ways home with them. A few adventures to tell around the fires as they grew older... until that sad day that Nine-Fingered Frodo... Nope, that would be spoilers.

Love it!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

8 hours ago, Ali the Helering said:

One thing I have learnt from all of this is - it's a series of novels set in a world. 

I quite enjoy it, despite the racism implicit to the time of writing.  Avoid the Quenya elitists and all Sindarin flame wars.  It's a series of novels, no more.

Am I the only one in this conversation that's a little terrified at the Middle Earth Second Age series that's coming up? For one thing, I personally think of the Silmarillion as one of the greatest fantasy books in the English language. I realize that the last really new piece of literature in Human history was probably 'Gilgamesh' and that even that has some plagiarism in it, but JRRT had such a wonderful way of presenting the moral dilemmas of his characters [honestly good people doomed by the very traits that made them 'good'] and societies ['pride goeth before the fall' etc.]. I'm not saying that Peter Jackson did an awful job with LotR [I AM saying his Hobbit trilogy sucks balls, but nevermind], but there's a lot of stuff in Silimarillion that any director would truly eff up if they're not an actual fanboy.

And I think this quote needs to be in this conversation somewhere:

[From 'The Martian', Kristin Wiig (Annie), Chwitel Ejiofor (Vincent) and Jeff Bridges (Teddy) having a conversation]

Annie Montrose:
What the hell is "Project Elrond?"

Vincent Kapoor:
I had to make something up.

Annie Montrose:
But "Elrond?"

Mitch Henderson:
Because it's a secret meeting.

Annie Montrose:
How do you know that; why does Elrond mean secret meeting?

Bruce Ng:
The Council of Elrond. It's the... it's... it's... from The Lord of the Rings. It's the meeting where they decide to destroy the One Ring.

Teddy Sanders:
If we are going to call something Project Elrond, I would like my code name to be Glorfindel.

Annie Montrose:
Okay, I hate every one of you

• Like 2

"The Council of Elrond" is also the chapter that stops every reader of The Fellowship of the Rings dead in their tracks for a month until they secretly convince themselves that its okay to just skip it -- maybe skim it -- and move on.  And you know what?  We don't need to harbor this secret anymore.  It really is okay.

My name is Ian, and I skipped over "The Council of Elrond" in January 1978.

!i!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

3 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

"The Council of Elrond" is also the chapter that stops every reader of The Fellowship of the Rings dead in their tracks for a month until they secretly convince themselves that its okay to just skip it -- maybe skim it -- and move on.  And you know what?  We don't need to harbor this secret anymore.  It really is okay.

!i!

One does not simply 'skip over' Mordor....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

!i!

In my re-reads I routinely skip the whole Birthday Party nonsense.

But then, I also refer to halflings and gnomes in RPGs as 'ratlings'.... Even my [ahem...] 'burglar' in LOTRO was a Human named 'Wat Shankswell' lol!

Hey, as long as we're discussing outrage and blasphemies against the Tolkien estate, how do people feel about The Last Ringbearer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ringbearer

I have to say, now that I'm not 13, it's my favored interpretation of Middle Earth, JRR's history being written by the victors and all.  The translation I read was pretty uneven, but it's an awfully amusing (okay, maybe just "entertaining") take on the War of the Rings.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

51 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

Hey, as long as we're discussing outrage and blasphemies against the Tolkien estate, how do people feel about The Last Ringbearer?

Bakshi and Leonard Nimoy come to mind when I see blasphemy and the name of that worthy author in the same chapter, never mind sentence!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

42 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ringbearer

I have to say, now that I'm not 13, it's my favored interpretation of Middle Earth, JRR's history being written by the victors and all.  The translation I read was pretty uneven, but it's an awfully amusing (okay, maybe just "entertaining") take on the War of the Rings.

!i!

Less integrity than Bored of the Rings and the Sellamillion.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, svensson said:

[From 'The Martian', Kristin Wiig (Annie), Chwitel Ejiofor (Vincent) and Jeff Bridges (Teddy) having a conversation]

Annie Montrose:
What the hell is "Project Elrond?"

Vincent Kapoor:
I had to make something up.

Annie Montrose:
But "Elrond?"

Mitch Henderson:
Because it's a secret meeting.

Annie Montrose:
How do you know that; why does Elrond mean secret meeting?

Bruce Ng:
The Council of Elrond. It's the... it's... it's... from The Lord of the Rings. It's the meeting where they decide to destroy the One Ring.

Teddy Sanders:
If we are going to call something Project Elrond, I would like my code name to be Glorfindel.

Annie Montrose:
Okay, I hate every one of you

We have just started project Endor at work and apparently they had a very similar conversation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

9 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

I've never heard about it, but have a try on 'The ring thing', especially if you accept the schwytzerdutsch.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I still get a kick out of diving back into Middle-Earth every now and then. It's been a while since I read LotR, but it's such an strongly defined world/setting that it feels like putting on an old, comfortable sweater. It has an "earthier tone" to it than most modern fantasy, as it were.

EDIT: And thanks to a bout of Elven-mania in my teens I can translate a good portion of the place names on the map. That's fun.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always dislike Hobbits ...too contrived... and really... if I had been Sauron...I'd have steam-rollered the Shire...mostly out of pure spite..but on the off-chance I might have found a Ring of Power

Don't even get me started on the Nazgûl and their stupid plan on Weathertop. They were faced by a Ranger with a broken sword (not even used) and some torches.. didn't they have an extinguish spell between the 5 of them? Poor planning...poor execution... and high levels of incompetence.

I have to admit the Silmariliion was better... probably because hobbits didn't feature at all and the story appeals to my innate Celtic sense of tragedy and ultimate doom. The elves were portrayed with morally ambivalent behaviour ..and did not have the binary choice of good and evil seen in the LoTR.

The Christopher (what I found under my father's bed when he died) Tolkien stuff sometimes adds to the lore ..some is awful

I enjoyed Bored of the Rings... and just downloaded The Last Ringbearer available for free in English as my Russian isn't good enough. Will look forward to reading it

• Like 2