Solardog

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a cider drinker from Somerset ...

Cider is the specialty of our northern neighbours, the Hessians, who produce an excellent

"Äppelwoi" (= "apple wine"), although for my taste many varieties are a bit too sour, bor-

dering on apple vinegar.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Isn't cider just apple-beer?

Apple-Beer :eek:

I once used that word beyond the Hessian border. This is why there are those Wanted

posters ("Preferably Dead - Otherwise torture before, during and after arrest.") in all

Hessian towns, and their armed forces have this "Shoot on Sight" order ... :shocked:

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

*sigh*

"Beer" is produced by the brewing and fermentation of starches, mainly derived from cereal grains—most commonly malted barley, although wheat, maize (corn), and rice are widely used. Most beer is flavoured with hops, which add bitterness and act as a natural preservative, though other flavourings such as herbs or fruit may occasionally be included.

"Cider" is a beverage made from apple juice. Non-alcoholic and alcoholic varieties are produced. Alcoholic beverages from cider are made from the fermented juice of apples.

I like Cider once in a while too. Unfortunately, the only English cider we can get here seems to be Samuel Smith's. How does it stack up in the rankings of Cider? If its imported to the States, then my guess is that its the cider equivalent to Budwiser. ;)

SDLeary

Now this really depends on my mood, but...

My recent favourites are:

Greene King IPA

Duchy Originals organic ale

Other favourites:

Trois Pistoles, Don de Dieu, and Blanche de Chambly by Unibroue

Hockley Valley Dark and Hockley Valley stout

Tankhouse Ale by Mill St. Brewery

Wellington County Dark Ale "Try a Wellie on"

Schneiderweisse

Aventinus

Leffe

Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer (red label)

St. Ambroise

Any German Dunkel I can lay my hands on

Cairngorm Brewery's Blessed Thistle Ale

I could go on...guess I like beer :rolleyes:

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

I like Cider once in a while too. Unfortunately, the only English cider we can get here seems to be Samuel Smith's. How does it stack up in the rankings of Cider? If its imported to the States, then my guess is that its the cider equivalent to Budwiser. ;)

Pretty much. Proper cider should be cloudy and made solely from pressed apples (the yeast for fermentation should be the natural yeast that live on the skin of the apples)...

Nick

Pretty much. Proper cider should be cloudy and made solely from pressed apples (the yeast for fermentation should be the natural yeast that live on the skin of the apples)...

Nick

Technically, if it isn't cloudy, then it isn't cider at all , but Apple Juice. I think.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Isn't cider just apple-beer?

Yes.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...