Journal of Runic Studies

Lordabdul

And of course Ana Gor, who I think is still a "thing" i.e. will be in the forthcoming Prosopaedia.

• Like 1

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

On 3/30/2022 at 12:26 PM, Oracle said:

Three parts? Ooops ... 😉
But in fact, as always, it's a great issue!

Haha yes, that's what happens when I start writing stuff and the 4th part appears later 🙂 (fixed now, thanks). And thanks for the nice words, it's very much appreciated!

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

jc-bog-struggles-cover-preview.jpg.a0b9bfceb7e48c87b6b5a0fe674f5463.jpg

The Journal of Runic Studies #42 is out! Our interview with Rick Meints, a sneak peek at Ludo's next adventure, some Chaosium news from the grapevine, suppressing Orlanth worship, Holy Country notes, heresy in Glorantha, Sandy and Greg, pretty pictures, and more!

• Like 3

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

madknight-ks-bolgar-stomping-bull.jpg.57dfbb6b89a3cacb27893b37953f4a15.jpg

The Journal of Runic Studies #43 is out, a bit late and shorter than usual because I was at ChaosiumCon! (expect a report on that with a few pictures and stuff) MadKnight's new miniatures Kickstarter, Glorantha tattoos, cuneiform dictionaries, mythology in movies & TV, pants, and more!

• Like 2

As always, a great summary!

1 hour ago, lordabdul said:

heroquesting lexicon

In regards to the Hero Plane (vs. Gods World), in the past that has included places such as the Sky, the Underworld, Sramak's River, Vithela, Luathela, Altinela - all the places around the edges of the world where demigods and the like live.

These places exist in the Gods World, too, but you can reach them just by traveling far enough in the mundane world.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jajagappa said:

These places exist in the Gods World, too, but you can reach them just by traveling far enough in the mundane world.

Ah interesting. So if you flew high enough in the sky, you would be in the Sky Realm *as it is in the present*, where star and planetary deities go about their business, sky entities do their thing, and all that. But you're not there in the God Time where things are golden or water dragons are invading and such? That's the difference?

1 hour ago, lordabdul said:

So if you flew high enough in the sky, you would be in the Sky Realm *as it is in the present*, where star and planetary deities go about their business, sky entities do their thing, and all that. But you're not there in the God Time where things are golden or water dragons are invading and such? That's the difference?

That's my understanding, but terminology has not always been consistent.  Sometimes these places have been called the "Outer Worlds". 

Sometimes Hero Planes have referred to the specific "ages" of the Godtime, e.g. Green Age, Golden Age.  But, if this was the interpretation, then the Hero Plane would be part of the Gods World, and the distinction would not make sense.

• Like 1

mahavidya-sodari.jpg.3b824b390454f94211d81e1fb1c3a9d0.jpg

The Journal of Runic studies #45 is out, with a staggering amount of annotated articles from Jeff, such as game balance in RuneQuest, Morokanths, the history of New Pavis, and understanding the big NPCs of the Hero Wars! Plus: French maps, pretty drawings, Ducks, Minoan art, sarcophaguses, and more!

• Like 1

rqg-vtt-fg2-a-rough-landing.thumb.png.eaee41d47cee0384da584ed3ada19f19.png

The Journal of Runic Studies #46 is out! This is a short week (which is welcome once in a while) with a translated God Learner document on the spirit world, RuneQuest VTT update, tattoos, Arkatism, a rare 13th Age mention, some hoplite goodness, and more!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

meints-index-to-glorantha-1-2-3.thumb.jpg.0037af4c9931b518a3399aab3b20d4aa.jpg

The Journal of Runic Studies #47 is out! An announcement about upcoming editorial changes, our new podcast episode, Campaign Coins discount (hurry!), young Argrath, the City of Wonders, the Hero-Wars, slings, and more!

"Eff (if you’ve been around any Gloranthan online community, you know her…)"

:20-element-moon::20-power-disorder:

• Haha 2

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

23 hours ago, lordabdul said:

The Journal of Runic Studies #47 is out! An announcement about upcoming editorial changes, our new podcast episode, Campaign Coins discount (hurry!), young Argrath, the City of Wonders, the Hero-Wars, slings, and more!

Ludo, thanks for continuing to put this out. And since you've mentioned Lindybeige a few times: did you know that he was a RQer at one point? He talks about how he really liked RQ in one (or more?) of his videos on D&D (and its failings.) He also did a stop-motion short, when he was a wee lad, called "Prax Warrior" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UHWNZ4y-2I . Might be interesting to reach out to him for a Godlearners interview.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beoferret said:

Ludo, thanks for continuing to put this out. And since you've mentioned Lindybeige a few times: did you know that he was a RQer at one point? He talks about how he really liked RQ in one (or more?) of his videos on D&D (and its failings.) He also did a stop-motion short, when he was a wee lad, called "Prax Warrior" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UHWNZ4y-2I . Might be interesting to reach out to him for a Godlearners interview.

Thanks!  Oh wow, you know what, I did see that Prax Warrior video a couple years ago, but never put two and two together! Thanks a lot for highlighting the connection, he might indeed be a very interesting guest!

Re: editorial changes, it would be a shame to lose your commentary on the latest FB posts, it's always helpful.

Could you: post commentary here rather than in the newsletter? It may be more interactive. The newsletter is difficult to comment on in detail in its current format.

Or: keep commentary in the newsletter but just include the paragraphs of "Jeff text" that you have specific comments on, and leave the rest to be read through a link to WoD. The problem is that people may not wish to follow links, especially if viewing the newsletter on a phone.

• Thanks 1

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

On 5/10/2022 at 2:32 AM, Brian Duguid said:

Re: editorial changes, it would be a shame to lose your commentary on the latest FB posts, it's always helpful.

Thanks!

On 5/10/2022 at 2:32 AM, Brian Duguid said:

Could you: post commentary here rather than in the newsletter? It may be more interactive. The newsletter is difficult to comment on in detail in its current format.

I get comments from here, twitter, facebook, reddit, discord, and a few other places... so if I write any annotations, they would definitely go on the website, because that's the place I have most control over... but anyway, we'll see how things progress. I might change the "formula" a few times based on how much free time I have,  based on feedback, and so on.

In fact, I’d love it if each cult write-up in the upcoming Cults book had a “how to include this cult in your game” section. I strongly believe that it would (1) greatly help newcomers grasp which cults they might like, and (2) stomp 90% of the “this cult sucks” discussions because it would make it more clear what the gameplay role of a cult is

thank you @Ludovic aka Lordabdul. Maybe a free pdf addendum , maybe even a community project.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 4:43 PM, Ludovic aka Lordabdul said:

It might be interesting to get a few JC authors together and write this, yeah

Maybe post it on the JC Creators group? I think if a couple of people were happy to coordinate it, there'd be no shortage of writers; obviously issues with royalties if there are too many but I'd cheerfully write a page for Hykim/Mikyh for free. Only 96 main cults to cover, of course 😉.

--