Out now in full color hardback: The Red Book of Magic

MOB

820x312-red-book-of-magic.png.30f5f631ab34b4566acddba336b6a330.png

Dive into the ultimate guide to magic for RuneQuest!

Full color hardcover: https://www.chaosium.com/the-red-book-of-magic-hardcover

Special leatherette edition: https://www.chaosium.com/the-red-book-of-magic-leatherette

Price includes PDF.

Available all locations (US, UK, EU, CAN) except AUS, which should be later this month.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

• MOB pinned, locked, unlocked and featured this topic
6 hours ago, RandomNumber said:

much grinding of teeth... can't wait to get hands on!

We'd love to do a simultaneous release in all five locations like we used to, but - what with all the disruptions to shipping right now - that would take multiple Extreme Success rolls in International Freight Logistics. We got four rolls out of five for TRBoM, but unfortunately Australia is the one we missed. Hopefully by next week.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Byll said:

I'm getting the (leatherette) hardcover for the artwork and the correct baked in rune font. My old iMac got very confused about the runes it would show for a spell in PDF

There is a solution for this, one I personally do no like but... Use Adobe Acrobat to see all the correct runes. 

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

4 hours ago, Byll said:

I'm getting the (leatherette) hardcover for the artwork and the correct baked in rune font. My old iMac got very confused about the runes it would show for a spell in PDF

There was an updated PDF that came out later to supposedly fix that problem -- try and re-download it from the Chaosium website and see if it's better?

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

It came close, but no. On the Mac you will need to use something other than Preview. I assume this is what you are using @Byll. Otherwise, Acrobat will work.

Do you have examples of wrong Runes? It looks fine to me with Preview 10.1, and the very latest PDF that I re-downloaded today (same file size, but different contents than last time I re-downloaded it).

If anybody's looking for a fast PDF reader on Mac, I've been happy with Skim for a long time.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

I spent three days helping Simeon Cogswell on this with a few trips to Apple to boot so, no I am fine. I have served my time and done my duty.

ETA Apple said the product pushed my iteration of Preview to its limits and there was nothing to be done. For those who are curious... incorrect Runes would show up or none at all (and all at random).

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought it back (and you thought is was Resurrection). Just got in touch with Simeon and...

ignore the first two lines line but...

image.png.007776d85dfd4298a6c3af0219fb5a69.png

Epilogue
though I had tested this a couple of months, and one update install, back, and not heard anything since, I thought I would download a new copy of the Red Book and try it one more time. It worked. But according to the above missive...for how long, would be the question.

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Clearly the Boggles were at work.

I am boggled!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting to hear from my FLGS.  I checked in before the holiday, but their distributor wasn’t showing it yet.  Since I don’t do PDFs, I’ll just have to continue anticipating the epic glory of it.

Made sure to put the upcoming Starter Set on the wishlist as well.

17 minutes ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

Do we have even a rough guess on the Australian ETA yet? Doubling the price to order from the US is kind of ouchy.

One recent data point for you: The Children of Fear was also printed in Poland, and that book took a week longer to get into the Australian and Canadian warehouses (ROW 15 June, AUS+CAN 22 June). But anyone making confident statements about shipping times in a global pandemic is only fooling themselves (and anybody who listens to them); and it's hopefully obvious that The Red Book of Magic wasn't on the same boat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2021 at 6:03 PM, Arcadiagt5 said:

Do we have even a rough guess on the Australian ETA yet? Doubling the price to order from the US is kind of ouchy.

Chaosium website is showing it in the Australian warehouse and took my order with local postage today. Remember your coupon. So the lag was about three weeks on this occasion. Not bad, really.  Looking forward to getting hands on.

Edited by RandomNumber
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, RandomNumber said:

Chaosium website is showing it in the Australian warehouse and took my order with local postage today. Remember your coupon. So the lag was about three weeks on this occasion. Not bad, really.  Looking forward to getting hands on.

HUZZAH! Ordered and mentioned in the private discord servers for the games that I’m running that it’s now available.

• Like 1