Spellcasting tactics

Kloster

I'm taking a couple of geases to raise my Sense (Assassin) Sense (Ambush) skills after just reading that stunt. No wonder Humakt isn't close to Orlanth. That's nasty. :eek::eek:

I wonder if I can take a Sense (Alynx) skill? :confused:

This longrunning game has a reoccuring GMPC/NPC (my old character from way back) that's a Sword of Humakt. (Honestly, he showed up once when I needed a quick powerful Humakti and the PCs keep seeking him out and players like him, so I must not be abusing him.) Anyhow, we've noted that Humakti are very nasty compared to Wind Lords early after they each make Rune Lord, but over time Orlanthi magic offers a lot of tactical options and general flexibility that the Humakti lacks. Once melee starts, the Humakti is top dog. (I've noted before that this particular character can deal out 50+ points of damage every hit, twice per round. That's really hard to match.) Before that, the Wind Lords can be extremely nasty with mutiple powerful sylphs, teleport, alynx directed magic (don't forget that max 38 POW they have in RQIII for POW v. POW rolls), infinitely stackable attack spells, such as lightning and thunderbolt, etc. The deal is that the Wind Lord needs a lot of POW invested in magic to get there. In this long running campaign, the PCs have 50+ points of divine magic each.

I think Wind Lords are one reason why Harmonize went out the window in RQ3. :D:eek:

It's been so long, I don't even remeber what the spell does. Can anyone refresh my memory? I do recall that I'd tossed it before getting RQIII, so it's problems must have been pretty obvious. I only have it for Jack-o-bears now, but using one of those has been a long time in the past too...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This longrunning game has a reoccuring GMPC/NPC (my old character from way back) that's a Sword of Humakt. (Honestly, he showed up once when I needed a quick powerful Humakti and the PCs keep seeking him out and players like him, so I must not be abusing him.) Anyhow, we've noted that Humakti are very nasty compared to Wind Lords early after they each make Rune Lord, but over time Orlanthi magic offers a lot of tactical options and general flexibility that the Humakti lacks. Once melee starts, the Humakti is top dog. (I've noted before that this particular character can deal out 50+ points of damage every hit, twice per round. That's really hard to match.) Before that, the Wind Lords can be extremely nasty with mutiple powerful sylphs, teleport, alynx directed magic (don't forget that max 38 POW they have in RQIII for POW v. POW rolls), infinitely stackable attack spells, such as lightning and thunderbolt, etc. The deal is that the Wind Lord needs a lot of POW invested in magic to get there. In this long running campaign, the PCs have 50+ points of divine magic each.

Sounds about right. Humkati tend to lack the flexibility of some other characters, but do alright as the direct approach suits them, AND they are among the best at doing what they do. In a straight fight or undead hunt, they are hard to beat. Anything else, and they are going to try and push it towards a straight fight or undead hunt.

We had one Storm Bull who loved having Humakti around. They were the only ones who would complain that if he was going to use face chaos then he better keep up with them. If only the Humakti hated Chaos the way the hated undead!

It's been so long, I don't even remeber what the spell does. Can anyone refresh my memory? I do recall that I'd tossed it before getting RQIII, so it's problems must have been pretty obvious. I only have it for Jack-o-bears now, but using one of those has been a long time in the past too...

Sure. What you do, the victim does. You hop on one foot, so does he. You jump off a cliff, so doe he. You stand there and take off your helmet, so does he. You jump into the lake and start swimming, or not and let your fields hold you up, so does he.

The possibles for use and abuse should be obvious.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

An allied spirit is in mind-link with its master, so can see through its master's eyes. So, unless the Runemaster is unconscious, the allied spirit can cast spells quite happily. It can also cast spells on its master with range touch as it is effectively touching its master at all times.

I thought it was a special Runemaser-Allied Spirit thing that gave the ability to see through the master's eyes, and a normal Mind Link spell wouldn't. I didn't know about the touch-range thing either. Is that RQ2 or RQ3? But I'd have said the Spirit could cast even when it's master was unconscious/blinded, just that focussed spells would take longer.

Right. It can use it's own eyesight or it's master's. A particularly nasty tactical application of this that one of my player's Wind Lord has used is as follows: <snip>

Also, I'd always assumed that it was spirits in objects that used their master's senses, and animal familiars would be limited to their own. But maybe you're right - nasty!

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Sure. What you do, the victim does. You hop on one foot, so does he. You jump off a cliff, so doe he. You stand there and take off your helmet, so does he. You jump into the lake and start swimming, or not and let your fields hold you up, so does he.

The possibles for use and abuse should be obvious.

It's actually worse than that, since the victim's orientation doesn't have to start the same as yours; if you're facing away form the victim (though this makes it at least tricky to throw the spell) and run, he'll run off in whatever direction he's facing.

Harmonize from a Jack-o-Bear is a bit different, I believe: stand there till it eats you. Less powerful - but it could get more than one victim at once (I don't think chain-harmonizing was legal with the spell).

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Harmonize from a Jack-o-Bear is a bit different, I believe: stand there till it eats you. Less powerful - but it could get more than one victim at once (I don't think chain-harmonizing was legal with the spell).

As I recall, the spell was Active, so in practice, it just wasn't possible for a normal caster to use it on multiple targets at once. Not that that (or the high cost for Battle Magic) made it any less overpowered...

As I recall, the spell was Active, so in practice, it just wasn't possible for a normal caster to use it on multiple targets at once. Not that that (or the high cost for Battle Magic) made it any less overpowered...

I think you could have gotten multiple ones off via a Multispell. I'd have to read through my RQ2 stuff to be certain.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

True for the Jack O Bear.

For the chain harmonizing, IIRC, it implies harmonizing the harmonizer.

Perfect for dancing, but not very practical in combat (3 or more ways fights are quite rare).

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

For the chain harmonizing, IIRC, it implies harmonizing the harmonizer.

I hadn't thought of that! But more than one target per caster is specifically excluded (whether via Multispell or not, I'd say). Having checked, I'm surprised to find it is/was not Active, but Passive! Maybe making Harmonize an Active spell would be the way to save it from overpowered oblivion - 'cos it's such fun!

I hadn't thought of that! But more than one target per caster is specifically excluded (whether via Multispell or not, I'd say). Having checked, I'm surprised to find it is/was not Active, but Passive! Maybe making Harmonize an Active spell would be the way to save it from overpowered oblivion - 'cos it's such fun!

I used it on an epic 3 way battle between a group of trolls, a group of broos and us (the PCs). One of the broos harmonized a troll and pushed him in the river. I harmonized the broo, which also ran into the river, continuing to drown the troll.

It was a long time ago, sniff.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster