What BRP resources should I be looking for?

The context is some overthinking I am doing.

So, the magic available in the Big Gold Book doesn't have the utilitarian magic I have in mind for the setting at the other end of the link. I've ordered the magic book, which to my surprise an Amazon supplier had. I have Chaosium library, so I can also pick and choose from RQ2, Magic World, and Elf Quest (the plant and animal-shaping magic in particular). Any obvious games I should be nicking spells from.

“Enlightened Magic” by John Snead is total genius if your interested in ritual magic. On a similar note I would recommend GURPS Voodoo

Edited by rsanford
  • Like 5

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

I started Playing RQ in Korea in 1982. When I got back to the United States I got away from playing (had fun with raising kids.) Then Avalon Hill started publishing RQ, then they were acquired by Hasbro and Hasbro quit publishing the game. During those lean years of absence there were many older players like myself who still had interest but no new material so many started creating new rules, spells, etc. We communicated by email. Nothing published (As far as I know). It kept the game alive for many of us. It was called Runequest -- RuneQuest Rules.

http://mail.rpgreview.net/mailman/listinfo/runequest_rpgreview.net

Quote from Website:

‘This is a mailing list for discussing the RuneQuest game system, including RuneQuest (1st edition, The Chaosium), RuneQuest (2nd edition, Chaosium), RuneQuest (3rd edition, Chaosium, Avalon Hill, Games Workshop), RuneQuest: Adventures in Glorantha (unpublished), RuneQuest (Mongoose edition), RuneQuest II (aka Mongoose II) aka Wayfayer, and RuneQuest 6 (Design Mechanism) aka Mythras, and RuneQuest Adventures in Glorantha (Chaosium).

This list is the successor to the RQ-dailies/digest (1987-1994, Bell/HL), RQ4 Adventures in Glorantha (1993-1994), RuneQuest-Rules (1994-1998 Wharton/Imagic/Crashbox), RQ3 (Yahoo! 2006-2016).’

The email list ran from April 2008 to January 2019. It is Archived at:

http://rpgreview.net/pipermail/runequest_rpgreview.net/

It is not cannon, but kept many of us interested in our favorite game.

I think you may find many things of great interest.

RQ3 had probably the  most utilitarian magic systems of BRP, especially Sorcery (and by extension, Lunar Magic). Sorcery was a bit flawed by relying too heavily on FreeINT, but Sandy Peterson's Sorcery rules addressed that. 

Classic Fantasy might also be worth a look. It allows you to run an old school D&D style of game with BRP, so I assume it has rules that emulate the classic D&D Magic-User. I'm not sure what they are, as I don't own CF, but I'm sure there must be someone on the forums who does, and can provide some info on it.  

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

There is the minor headache that the current (2016 copyright) Classic Fantasy is not a stand-alone book; one apparently needs to have a copy of Mythras (RQ6) to use it.

Apprentice only gets "Cantrips" which do not require pre-memorization. Higher ranks get "arcane" spells which need to be researched and transcribed into one's personal spell book -- but to use them one must spend time memorizing them (I didn't read enough to determine if use of memorized spell results in loss of the spell until rememorized)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 12:53 PM, Baron Wulfraed said:

There is the minor headache that the current (2016 copyright) Classic Fantasy is not a stand-alone book; one apparently needs to have a copy of Mythras (RQ6) to use it.

A reasonable work-around to this is to use Mythras Imperative, an abbreviated version of the full rules and which is available for free download, entirely compatible with the current edition of Classic Fantasy.  That said, the full Mythras core rules have a variety of utilitarian magics and, well, you might just go down that BRP-adjacent route instead.

!i!

• Like 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green