Preview of some really amazing art for the RuneQuest Sartar Boxed Set

MOB

22 hours ago, Nick Underwood said:

Helering aren't blue-skinned anymore? 

You don't need to have blue skin to become gender-fluid or join the cult of Heler.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

21 hours ago, Tindalos said:

Most people aren't, even in the Red Cow, the helering related bloodline simply had a bluish tint.

It's likely blue skin would mark you out as someone powerful and holy, or that you're very closely descended from a water or storm god. It was usually only ring members in the Red Cow who had slate-blue skin, after all.

Yes! I was mistaking all Helering for Kerenelling... And then all Kerenelling for blue-skins. Thanks for the clarification. 

So... With only 60 people in the Kellering bloodline, say 25% by marriage, and 50% inheritance of the bluish tint that's... 22 and a half blue-skins total. (+ 8 that have married outside the clan.) Very cool and very rare. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 8:56 PM, MOB said:

This is Raveena the Mercenary - she might have been young, gorgeous, and wholesome back when she was a young woman who flocked to Starbrow's Rebellion in 1613, but since then, she has become hard, cynical, and ruthless.

Hope she doesn't want her dad's old job back. Apple Lane isn't a Solar theocracy, you don't get to be thane just because your dad had the gig. 

Edited by EMH

• 8 months later...
2 minutes ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Can’t wait for the Sartar sourcebook. Hope it’ll include more images of Orlanthi settlements. A variety showing those in more remote areas as well as those established on the well trodden trading routes. 

pleaaaase don't ask too many pictures 😛 want to have the books !

Edited by French Desperate WindChild
  • Haha 3

On 6/29/2021 at 1:08 AM, MOB said:

Here's another piece. This is by Ossi Hiekkala, who recently won a Bronze Lion Award the International Festival of Creativity at Cannes. It shows a young Helering “backboy” helping a Vingan thane get her armor on.

209593396_10158789591984017_3021245367722758546_n.jpeg.daf80552fd46d907d7098428964cf0d2.jpeg

@Jeffsaid when he shared it on Facebook, "I love how it gives an idea just how much a pain it must be to get armor on and off. And any heavily armored character of mine in the future is definitely going to have someone to help get that armor on and off!"

I can tell you from experience that most armors are fairly easy to get on and off by yourself.

Hoplite cuirasses are somewhat harder because they are pinned into place like a cottar pin in machinery, but they could just as easily be tied closed with thongs or buckled in with leather straps.

However, that's only half the issue. These armors are expensive and their care is time-consuming but even beyond that they are symbols. They represent not only the person wearing them, but the tribe or city that made it. These armors represent wealth, power, skill, and ability of a group of people to project all three of those qualities on to others, whether those others object to it or not. As Leonidas is alleged to have said, "Sparta is not place or an altar. Wherever stands a Spartan IS Sparta."

So having a 'squire' to assist you with your gear is very much part of the display you're presenting.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 2

Most people would put on armour only in a military unit, so normally it is something you do with your brothers(sisters)-in-arms, and part of the comradeship. Helping each other, and making sure the armor is well tied, fixed, or in any way in place. Add probably more patting, pulling and pushing that is really necessary.

Only a leader / officer would have a dedicated servant or several for donning armor, and that is part of the status, indeed.

But Glorantha has magic in almost everything, so I am sure that when leaving your home, it may be important who arms you, whether it is your brothers (as described above), a servant (I remember Heler arming Orlanth in the Summoning of Evil, which fits very well with the image) and I am sure the Bless Champion spell also requires Ernalda to arm in some way her champion. 

• Like 1