Launching this Friday, July 2: The Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter

MOB

1 hour ago, glassneedles said:

Well it’s up! I went in for the 1” and 2” box combo. Was a bit tempted by the signed one but decided to be slightly (ha!) thrifty. Roll on $100,000 for the screen!

Yep, did the same thing...but I've been with CoC since the first edition, so the signed edition is calling me, crying out to me...but so far I'm resisting. 

1 minute ago, JLBrown7289 said:

Yep, did the same thing...but I've been with CoC since the first edition, so the signed edition is calling me, crying out to me...but so far I'm resisting. 

My resisting was based on logic. I knew if I bought it I’d leave it pristine in its box as a collectors item and I’d be adding another 2”. (If not with a 1” as well) to the order later on and while I love Chaosium products I don’t think I love them $340 in one go enough…

(Sorry Rick, MOB, Mike and the rest it turns out you can put a price on love for an RPG company)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dvdmacateer said:

If that's is a 40th anniversary  edition why is the 2nd edition (1983) edition shown? The are plenty of 2nd editions still around I would love to replace my first edition that was disposed of by someone who will remain nameless. 

Says Rick Meints in the other active thread:

The first edition had one supplement published for it. It was also considered a bit rough and in need of a bit of balancing and refining. Thus, errata came out very quickly, followed by the 2nd edition in about a year. We decided the 2nd edition is superior, and more playable. Any background or scenario related info that was cut from the 1st edition has been included as bonus material in this remastered 2nd edition. We did a comparison of the 1st and 2nd edition rulebooks and the leap was small enough, and clear enough that the 2nd edition was the way to go, plus it had more and better art than the first edition. In some ways, we did what we did with RuneQuest Classic. We mainly focused on the getting the 2nd edition available again, for much of the same reasons.

6 hours ago, klecser said:

Says Rick Meints in the other active thread:

That makes sense. I would have loved to have gotten a remastering of the 1st edition though, just for the novelty as it’s the only only edition I have never seen a copy of (print or digital). If they had offered rereleases of both the 1st and 2nd editions, I would have definitely gone all in on both. Still, it’s great to be able to delve into the history of the game and get a chance to obtain any of the old editions as I’m much too young to have ever had the chance to have picked up 2nd edition was released. (I was born after the release of 3rd edition after all.)

Even if they can’t release physical copies, I’d love if they could make 1st edition available in PDFs and maybe POD as a stretch goal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dvdmacateer said:

The first edition 20s Sourcebook which had an alternative character generation system which has never seen the light  since, it's a shame this was missed.

Here's the good news. There's no need to assume the worst, or that this is a missed opportunity. Part of the magic of doing reprints is that we are not bound by the laws of space and time (or any other constraints) to make these exactly as the originals. I don't know how much you have read about the Kickstarter in the details. One thing I have said a few times is that these are remastered and have BONUS content. The best example of how we have done this with a previous set of classic material is for the RuneQuest Classics, where we sprinkled into many of the books extras like magazine articles, background material, and similar. We're doing the same with the Call of Cthulhu Classics. It just so happened that we did a thorough comparison of the first and second editions (basically the rulebook and the 1920s sourcebook). We ended up taking what was cut from the first edition (a modest number of pages) and we are adding that info back into these remastered versions.

TLDR: That Previous Experience material from the first edition Sourcebook for the 1920s is some of the bonus material in the Classics version. This isn't an either/or situation. We have the option of doing both. 

Lastly, who says we will never do a PDF and print on demand version of the first edition rulebook? We did that with the RQ Classics...

• Like 8

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

29 minutes ago, JLBrown7289 said:

Just passed $200K. I'm looking forward to the sparkly ruby-red dice! And within 24 hours of going live. Pretty remarkable.

Joseph

It's been incredible to experience the new Renaissance of this game. I trust that Rick and crew know what they're doing. 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, klecser said:

It's been incredible to experience the new Renaissance of this game. I trust that Rick and crew know what they're doing. 🙂 

They've done a fantastic job. And I'm marveling at the longevity of an rpg that became a favorite when it was first released (my sophomore year in college, I'd discovered Lovecraft's fiction the year before). I'd been playing D&D with my friends and it was fine...but horror roleplaying and the cosmic horror of Lovecraft? That was my jam! Loved it then and love it still.  It has been wonderful to see the game's comeback.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, commandercrud said:

I wasn't going to get this until I saw that HPLHS was doing a prop set for it. Their stuff is amazing and makes all the difference. I'll be converting all of these to 7th edition.

That’s truly part of the beauty of 7th edition. We’ll be getting reprints of all these 2nd edition supplements and all of them can easily be converted for modern play.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 7/3/2021 at 4:01 PM, Rick Meints said:

Here's the good news. There's no need to assume the worst, or that this is a missed opportunity. Part of the magic of doing reprints is that we are not bound by the laws of space and time (or any other constraints) to make these exactly as the originals. I don't know how much you have read about the Kickstarter in the details. One thing I have said a few times is that these are remastered and have BONUS content. The best example of how we have done this with a previous set of classic material is for the RuneQuest Classics, where we sprinkled into many of the books extras like magazine articles, background material, and similar. We're doing the same with the Call of Cthulhu Classics. It just so happened that we did a thorough comparison of the first and second editions (basically the rulebook and the 1920s sourcebook). We ended up taking what was cut from the first edition (a modest number of pages) and we are adding that info back into these remastered versions.

TLDR: That Previous Experience material from the first edition Sourcebook for the 1920s is some of the bonus material in the Classics version. This isn't an either/or situation. We have the option of doing both. 

Lastly, who says we will never do a PDF and print on demand version of the first edition rulebook? We did that with the RQ Classics...

Unfortunately the previous experience rules are not totally compatible with the 2e rules. They reference skill categories that are not listed anywhere (were probably dropped for 2e) and based on the example on pg. 16 the default levels for skills were different in some cases. Tried to create some chracters using the method yesterday and ran into these issues. Any chance of getting clarifications for a 40 year old product? 😄

Edited by Wyrmfelt
Typo fix

I suggest that you allow the PC to pick the skills they want to improve via previous experience. After all, they get to decide how they spent their time back then. When in doubt, use the higher number. If that doesn't work, just add 10%. 🙂

• Helpful 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.