The Battle of the Queens, Fire Season 1626

Michael Cule

I'm coming up to the date set down in Glorananthan history (i.e. in KING OF SARTAR) for the battle that brought Kallyr Starbrow to her death. 

My player-characters are the Thane of Apple Lane and her friends and retainers. They are going to be commanded to rally with the forces of the Colymar tribe to support the armies of Kallyr, Prince of Sartar (if only just). 

Now KoS says the battle was fought 'where the Creek meets the Upland Marsh'. Looking at the map from the Gamesmaster's pack there's a town there: Two Sisters. 

Does anyone know anything about Two Sisters? It appears to be twin towns on both sides of the Creek. I know the account of the Battle in KoS: does anyone have better information? 

37 minutes ago, Michael Cule said:

Looking at the map from the Gamesmaster's pack there's a town there: Two Sisters. 

Does anyone know anything about Two Sisters? It appears to be twin towns on both sides of the Creek. I know the account of the Battle in KoS: does anyone have better information? 

The battle is also referred to as the Battle of Old Top.  The Sartarites assemble on Old Top hill to have height advantage and to force the Lunars to cross the Creek.

Two Sisters are a pair of small villages (not towns) that sit on the opposite sides of the Creek.  It's either a ford (low water) or a ferry (high water) to get across.  Figure the Narri clan probably charges a toll to cross, but otherwise just a pair of small Sartarite villages.

The Lunars come in Fire Season after the Creek has subsided from its peak height.  Should be fordable during the battle.

Also see Vasana's Saga (RQG p.138): At dawn on Godday of Movement Week, the Lunar army crossed The Creek near where it meets the Upland Marsh. We formed up at the base of Old Top. Prince Kallyr took the center, her jeweled brow shining fiercely. The Rune Priests chanted songs of power, and the Rune Lords prepared to incarnate some fraction of the Lightbringers’ powers. The tribes were assembled to her right and left, each led by their kings and queens.

When I ran it, I had the Colymar on the left flank closest to Two Sisters and the road to Runegate (having marched up from the latter).  I figure that the Cinsina, Malani, and Culbrea made up the right flank, and Kallyr's Kheldon and Boldhome allies were in the center.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michael Cule said:

There's a non-canonical colour map and one-page description of Two Sisters Village in the back of The Howling Tower, but it doesn't talk about the battle at all.

Jeff often posts detailed accounts of the Battle of Queens to this forum, this thread includes the most recent (I think) and some other links too: 

Wyrms Footnotes #15 p19

Two Sisters is a dilapidated riverside village. About 20
or 30 years ago the ever-expanding Marsh reached the
left bank of the river and made life much harder for
its few remaining inhabitants. Most of the buildings
still standing are in an appalling state of disrepair. The
large portion of the village that borders the river, and
still hasn’t sunk beneath its currents, is known as the
Docks. The population of Two Sisters is a hearty 70 or
80 people at the moment. Most adhere to the style
of life which equates happiness to idleness. In the
Docks is a large area called the Greenery, not because
anyone planted anything there, but because a large
vegetable shipment was never unloaded and most of
its produce has since sprouted and taken root. Most
of the residents are either ducks or humans, although
small parties of river travelers occasionally increase
the diversity. The two sisters of legend are virtually
unknown. The story involves jealousy, and supposedly
they lived on opposite sides of the river. They shared
a common husband, who used a small boat to travel
between them.

• Like 2

Two Sisters (village): Two small villages sit on either side of The Creek here. If the water is low, it is a ford; if the water is high, it is a ferry instead. They belong to the Narri Clan of the Colymar Tribe. The village has a minor temple to Orlanth Thunderous and Ernalda, and shrines to Engizi and the Barntar subcult.

Battle of Queens.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Michael Cule said:

Is it an extract from some other project? The style doesn't look familiar.

It's part of the new master map of Sartar.  You'll see part of it in the Starter Set, and I believe the complete map in the Sartar box set.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Phil O'Connor said:

What is the actual date of this battle?

Is it Wildday Stasis week as indicated on the Well of Daliath

those are from Jeff's notes, so maybe accurate.

1 hour ago, Phil O'Connor said:

Godday Movement week as stated in RQG p 138

That's Orlanth Rex's High Holy Day.

I had the battle on the former and had Kallyr's body enter Boldhome on the latter

Ultimately, it's moveable for your game.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

My confusion stems from Jeff's notes, that give one date, and the recently printed RQG date, of which Jeff is the author. You can see where people get confused by the contradictory information. I am a big fan of official timelines when official canonical events are described in the historical background. Of course anyone can ignore or change these, but at least establish a baseline of official dates from official material. It would really help make the IP more consistent and high quality. Thanks for the replies. 

Edited by Phil O'Connor