RuneQuest Starter Set Design Diary #10: take a look at an advance copy of the Starter Set

MOB

screen-shot-2021-04-14-at-6.02.05-pm-1-.png

By Jason Durall, RuneQuest creative director

The Starter Set for RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha is coming! Between now and its release later this year, RuneQuest creative director Jason Durall's Design Diary will share insights about the development of this exciting new boxed set which will introduce the RuneQuest RPG and Greg Stafford's mythic world of Glorantha to all-new audiences.

A guest post from Chaosium President Rick Meints - he's got something exciting to share!

Rick: I thought this might be of interest to those wondering where we are at with the RuneQuest Starter Set. This is the finished product express delivered this afternoon, direct from the printer. The rest are on their way to our five fulfillment warehouses (US, UK, EU, AUS, CAN), which will take some time to get all around the globe.

As you'll see, no room for any dead air inside this box!

• Like 8

Another advance copy of the RuneQuest Starter Set! This one was sent to Chaosium's Australian HQ for James Coquillat's 'Chaosium Unveiled' series*. But I couldn't help bringing it to show my RuneQuest gaming group tonight. They all agreed - it's beautiful, and it's heavy!

20210702_183726.thumb.jpg.122eb35e44d052db37d34bee88e45a98.jpg

*catch all of the 'Chaosium Unveiled' series on YouTube.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 6

It does look lovely but as an established GM I am not sure I will bother.  Books 1-3 would see little use.  Book 4 might be more useful but our game has us about a year on from the standard 1625 start and these scenarios may be a little too basic (or in the past) for us.  The pre-gens would see little use and I have more than enough dice. 

BTW - adding dice means in the UK, as I understand it, that the box will attract 20% VAT that books do not. 

11 hours ago, Scornado said:

It does look lovely but as an established GM I am not sure I will bother.  Books 1-3 would see little use.  Book 4 might be more useful but our game has us about a year on from the standard 1625 start and these scenarios may be a little too basic (or in the past) for us.  The pre-gens would see little use and I have more than enough dice. 

Book 2 has more pages on Jonstown than a Gloranthan overview. It is a colourful city overview with RQG stats for its personalities. It's the Apple Lane (on steroids) for RQG. 

Book 3 is a Soloquest, but still worth mining for how an important event translates to actual play.

Edited by jongjom
Typo

16 hours ago, Scornado said:

BTW - adding dice means in the UK, as I understand it, that the box will attract 20% VAT that books do not. 

64 pages Rulesbook (great for putting on the table for your players... better than the 400+ pages main rulebook)

64 pages Glorantha book: 22 pages overview of Glorantha, 42 pages Jonstown and surrounding area

80 pages Soloquest (give it to your players, so they get familiar with the concept and the rules OR play it your self a couple of times, and run it for your players as a group adventure)

Adventure book with three adventures!

+ 14 pregens (if you don´t use them as PreGens, then use them as NPCs)

+ Maps of Jonstown and Sartar!

And for a price point of $ 29,99 it is worth getting even if you will use only 60% of the interior of the box. 

• Like 2

The Jonstown content is persuasive.  Having a rulebook for players might be useful for the one (of seven) who has not already bought the 400 page tome, and I have to admit it does now look possible that face to face gaming will come back in the next few months.  They are not beginner players though and are unlikely to be interested in a solo scenario.