Cups of Clearwine from Beer With Teeth on the Jonstown Compendium

Diana Probst

The second Beer With Teeth sourcebook for Clearwine is out, this one focusing on a middle-class area in the Colymar city.

Cups of Clearwine is available on the Jonstown Compendium on DriveThruRPG.

12 households (13 if you count the pigs, geese, and alynxes of the courtyard) and dozens of NPCs.  Art by Kristi Herbert.  Writing by the whole Beer With Teeth crew.  It includes a five-page adventure and a two page goods appendix, for those things you want to buy from the crafters in the area.

• Like 5

Aaah, this makes you our new favourite person!

We have seriously considered whether we should just do this until the whole place is covered... but we reckon there are probably at least three more things we can do.  There's another middle class area we want to cover, which is much more about how one set of people covered by the guilds would work, and there's the top end of the city as well, and then possibly we could do all of the criminal elements, top to bottom.  We're not saying we WILL do all of those, but those are the things we'd like to cover if we could.

Things like Thunder Tower are probably too small on their own, while the Clearwine Temple is probably too big, but an area of a dozen houses with internal and external politics means we get the right amount of detail.

If I had infinite money, though, I would have Clearwine mapped.

• Like 4

On 7/4/2021 at 11:44 AM, Diana Probst said:

..... We have seriously considered whether we should just do this until the whole place is covered... but we reckon there are probably at least three more things we can do.  ..... We're not saying we WILL do all of those, but those are the things we'd like to cover if we could....

That sounds like a doable program.  But why not do the Earth temple later?  It would have great usefulness.  Whose PC hasn't needed to go to the Earth temple?

On 7/4/2021 at 12:44 PM, Diana Probst said:

while the Clearwine Temple is probably too big, but an area of a dozen houses with internal and external politics means we get the right amount of detail.

I'd second doing the Earth Temple.  Plenty of politics, tied into many of the major Colymar clans and families, and lots of festivals for people to come to.

11 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

That sounds like a doable program.  But why not do the Earth temple later?  It would have great usefulness.  Whose PC hasn't needed to go to the Earth temple?

It is probably (although not definitely) too big a project for the level of detail we like to use.  It has multiple chief priestesses, multiple sub-cults, and literally thousands of initiates, some of whom will be there all the time.  It's also covered to some degree in Chaosium books, where the map of Clearwine is two pages with a lot we could fill in, in those gaps.

It's a big project, probably far bigger than you realise.  I wrote https://beer-with-teeth.games/writing-a-bwt-book/ about Cups, which is a far smaller project and still took six months.  Clearwine Earth Temple, done in a BWT style, would be at least a year of work.  It's also heavily bound up with itself, so it would be difficult to go into detail about one part without defining the others.  We can do a single geographical area of Clearwine more easily and believably than we can do a single cult like the Temple of Voria, say.  The Priestess there WILL have a relationship with everyone else of importance in the Temple, so we would have to define everyone important.  Ouch.

We could use that time to create different things instead, that will be equally awesome, but will come out three or four times more often.  So, that's a cool but big project that is not high up on the list.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Diana Probst said:

'Nobs of Clearwine' is the working title...

But we'll find a different one.  Heads of Clearwine is possible.  Floaters in Clearwine, probably not.

Maybe A Distillation of Clearwine?

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

Maybe A Distillation of Clearwine?

That's too long to make a snappy title BUT Distilled Clearwine would be two words that are about the right size.  That would fit in the title space and let us keep the effect of words piled up.

Yes, I am the layout artist.  How could you tell?

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

Or reverse it:  Clearwine Distilled! :-)

They'd have to change the name to Brandy <G>

However, expanding from "Cups" to the various bottle and barrel sizes might give some freedom. https://sherlocks.com/wine-measurements-guide/

And some amphora (a more bronze age storage method) could fit those larger "bottles". For barrels, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_wine_cask_units

Dregs are spilled, but so are libations, in a more posh way. (Of course, vomit was spilled too, but that might be reserved for a different group.)

Otherwise containers: From cups to craters?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

5 hours ago, Diana Probst said:

(We already rejected Legs of Clearwine, but had not got to Butts.  We need to aim higher!)

How common is drinking from navels in Orlanthi orgies?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Joerg said:

How common is drinking from navels in Orlanthi orgies?

I'm pretty sure that is not the definition of Orgy, Joerg... but YGMV so if navel drinking is your thing... well who am I to say?

3 hours ago, Nozbat said:

I'm pretty sure that is not the definition of Orgy, Joerg... but YGMV so if navel drinking is your thing... well who am I to say?

Nick suggested butts, Diana mentioned that they had considered legs, but wanted to aim higher - presumably on anatomy  The navel is a bit higher than either of these.

Orgies aren't limited to drinking, anyway. Clearwine has an Earth temple, which does imply the occasional fertility-themed get-together. Some of these From Dusk Till Dawn.