Adventure rewards

Glyph

I've been looking through Plunder and reading the forum topic on economics and am trying to gauge just how much reward an adventure should bring - I usually aim at enough for the players to get some of what they want (upgraded armour, spells etc) but not everything.

Any thoughts on how much a character should make on any given adventure? As an example, a patron is offering the party 30L each for a rescue mission, with an additional 30L if it's particularly successful. Doesn't sound much, but that's a whole year's pay for a warrior..

4 hours ago, Glyph said:

Any thoughts on how much a character should make on any given adventure? As an example, a patron is offering the party 30L each for a rescue mission, with an additional 30L if it's particularly successful. Doesn't sound much, but that's a whole year's pay for a warrior..

I think it depends a lot on the session/adventure, length of time the session ran, consequences, etc.

I just went through that in one of my games which involved a quest to recover an ancient horn for Queen Leika.  It ultimately led to Snakepipe Hollow and having to enter one of the caves there.  So, a tough quest.  As my game is Play by Post, it also took a long time in real-life to complete, so wanted it to feel worthwhile for the effort (and Queen Leika was quite pleased with the result).  Harmast, as a thane and the quest leader, got the best rewards with a torc, a silver dagger, and a fine ring.  Overall those were worth ~350L.  The rest of the party got fine rings set with magic crystals which were each worth ~100L.  And of course they got their Reputation gains including an epic composed for the quest. 

If I was running face-to-face, it would likely have been ~6 sessions long, and would probably have reduced the gains, maybe to about 1/2 of what they got.

This sounds about correct, a touch low, but in the ball park. If they were mooks that only wanted to save the farm this should do it. But as adventures this would be 6 adventures for one or two new spells, or one or two new pieces of armour or of expensive gear or weapons.

After three adventures my group has about 50 pieces of silver per (about 100 for the leader and a torc). So I was worried that maybe I was too low or stingy in my rewards but it seems you have the same numbers. This makes me happy as I have a great deal of respect for how you see the game based on the past four years of posts of yours I have read. 

I have asked my players to use adventuring income for gear, training, and magic so as not to throw the economy out of whack. And they have agreed.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

9 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

After three adventures my group has about 50 pieces of silver per (about 100 for the leader and a torc). So I was worried that maybe I was too low or stingy in my rewards but it seems you have the same numbers. This makes me happy as I have a great deal of respect for how you see the game based on the past four years of posts of yours I have read. 

I have asked my players to use adventuring income for gear, training, and magic so as not to throw the economy out of whack. And they have agreed.

I think the prime consideration is how fast sessions/seasons occur vs. real-life timespan, and how often rewards are handed out.  Glad to hear that my rewards don't seem too far out of line either!

As the PC's were working for Queen Leika, she's also rewarded them with 1 point of spirit magic from cults she has relationships with.  Those who are among her retainers (thanes/mercenaries) can get some gear at 1/2 price (leftover loot from the Battle of the Queens - i.e. formerly Lunar armor and weapons, probably not in perfect condition).

26 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

As the PC's were working for Queen Leika, she's also rewarded them with 1 point of spirit magic from cults she has relationships with.  Those who are among her retainers (thanes/mercenaries) can get some gear at 1/2 price (leftover loot from the Battle of the Queens - i.e. formerly Lunar armor and weapons, probably not in perfect condition).

1/2 price gear (and maybe even javelins), hmm, I like that! 

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!