What critics said now and then about Fragments of Fear, now part of our Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter

MOB

fragments-of-fear-cover.jpeg

As Phil Frances wrote in White Dwarf #75, "Chaosium’s companion packs should be pretty familiar by now, and the company’s intention to publish bits of lore too odd to fit in elsewhere is essentially an admirable one. The latest collection of oddities is the Second Cthulhu Companion, also known as Fragments of Fear…"

Fragments of Fear was first published in 1985, and one of the five supplements we're reprinting in the Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter, currently underway. The cover art is by Tom Sullivan.

Here's what reviewers have said about Fragments of Fear over the years:

Fragments of Fear (the Second Cthulhu Companion) (1985)

"All in all, worth every penny I spent on it. I strongly recommend it for the additional scenarios if nothing else, and it easily earns 5 stars from me." — Jeffrey V., DriveThruRPG.

"In the question and answer chapter (Sandy) Petersen explains reading Mythos tomes takes months because the authors badly handwrite obscure words, making occult and literary references unknown without further research. He answers the questions, “How do I learn a language in Cthulhu?” “Why must my character lose multiple SAN for seeing multiple monsters? and “Why can’t my character get used to seeing common Mythos monsters?” His answer to the last question changed the way my group plays, and my change your ways as well." — Guy Hail, Space Gamer/Fantasy Gamer #79.

"The best part of Fragments of Fear is the fold out size comparison chart, which displays the relative sizes of most of the monsters and gods in the game... the weirdest thing is a selection of quotes of historical ritual curses compiled by Sandy Petersen." — Vintage RPG.

"Best known for its foldout size comparison of various Mythos gods and entities." — Reviews from R'lyeh.

nb if we hit our next Stretch Goal that Size Comparison chart will be included as a poster!

screen-shot-2021-07-17-at-8.43.10-pm.png

Fragments of Fear is available in the Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter. Have you backed it?

The boxed sets and PDFs on offer are not only packed-full of nostalgia from the birth of the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game in 1981, but are also fully compatible with the 7th Edition of the game!

Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter

• Like 1