References for Non-human races and sources

Am-Ra

1 hour ago, AaronLionhart said:

I am really tempted to check this Mythras thing.

@svensson I know it sounds incredibly strict, but can you tell me if I can find in those books a d100 version of the classic Mind Flayers or a bootleg of them?

I'm pretty sure the "Classic Fantasy Expert Set" (itself an add-on to "Classic Fantasy", which is an add-on to Mythras) has one on the cover... Different name used in setting

Mind Slayers resemble slimy, human-size humanoids with octopus-like heads, and large, dead, white eyes. Four long tentacles hang from the bottom of the creature’s face covering a round, lamprey-like mouth, and each hand possesses three long boney fingers and a thumb. Mind slayers feed on the brains of all other creatures that cross their path, hating most living things.

It's the only "monster" introduced in the "Expert Set"; the rest are in the base "Classic Fantasy" supplement.

Edited by Baron Wulfraed

1 hour ago, AaronLionhart said:

@svensson I know it sounds incredibly strict, but can you tell me if I can find in those books a d100 version of the classic Mind Flayers or a bootleg of them?

Mythras is a solid member of the d100 family. I own an early copy [the 'RQ6' edition] of it myself.

I know that somebody around here has done a classic DnD monster conversion to d100, but damned if I can remember who. I know I downloaded a copy of  it at one point, but it might be on the hard drive of an old computer.  Let me try some searches and see if I can find anything for you.

I will say that the rules between RQ and DnD are different enough that the conversion was a bit kludgy and awkward. Many game mechanics and concepts don't convert well and that that can make the nuts and bolts of game play a little difficult.

3 hours ago, AaronLionhart said:

Not to my recall, no. Illithids make extensive use of psionics, and neither Mythras nor Mongoose have rules for psionics or psychic phenomena, though give me time and a green light from Loz to write a psi supplement for Mythras, and I'll quite happily conjure up a bootleg mind flayer critter for you.

You know what does have psionics rules? After The Vampire Wars, Luther Arkwright, and Worlds United. Luther Arkwright is your best bet for bootlegging Mind Flayers - just use the stats for Disruptor Bishops and add a little brain cannibalism, and you're there.

Edited by Alex Greene

Author of Fioracitta for Mythras and the 2d6 SFRPG setting of Castrobancla.

1 hour ago, svensson said:

... I know that somebody around here has done a classic DnD monster conversion to d100, but damned if I can remember who. I know I downloaded a copy of  it at one point, but it might be on the hard drive of an old computer.  Let me try some searches and see if I can find anything for you ...

There was a fan-made project that basically ripped the  ENTIRE  AD&D Monster-Manual & Fiend Folio, with blithe disregard for anything resembling copyright or Intellectual Property.

That made it... *HIGHLY* problematic on any site with even a *whiff* of "official" provenance, placing Chaosium right in the crosshairs of the D&D/WotC/Hasbro legal department.

So it's no longer really a "thing" here...

C'es ne pas un .sig

15 minutes ago, Alex Greene said:

Not to my recall, no. Illithids make extensive use of psionics, and neither Mythras nor Mongoose have rules for psionics or psychic phenomena, though give me time and a green light from Loz to write a psi supplement for Mythras, and I'll quite happily conjure up a bootleg mind flayer critter for you.

You know what does have psionics rules? After The Vampire Wars, Luther Arkwright, and Worlds United. Luther Arkwright is your best bet for bootlegging Mind Flayers - just use the stats for Disruptor Bishops and add a little brain cannibalism, and you're there.

There's also the Supers demo-product for Mythras, which I understand is planned for a full treatment...?

And of course one could easily "roll their own" in BRP with the BGB; but that's decidedly not a ready-to-go splat/sourcebook/bestiary.

As the OP seems most interested in D&D specifics, I've gotta circle back to Classic Fantasy.  What-say, @threedeesix?  Mind-Flayers and other Illthid's under BRP?  Do they include "Psionics" or Psi-like powers?

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 minutes ago, g33k said:

There's also the Supers demo-product for Mythras, which I understand is planned for a full treatment...?

And of course one could easily "roll their own" in BRP with the BGB; but that's decidedly not a ready-to-go splat/sourcebook/bestiary.

As the OP seems most interested in D&D specifics, I've gotta circle back to Classic Fantasy.  What-say, @threedeesix?  Mind-Flayers and other Illthid's under BRP?  Do they include "Psionics" or Psi-like powers?

Basically, check out Luther Arkwright. That really is your best bet. The psionic powers listed there include drain prana, evil eye, focus force, inflict pain, mind probe, psychic wrack, sap vigour, and synaptic puppetry. Telepathy, clairvoyance, and telekinesis are a given.

Everything a growing illithid needs.

Author of Fioracitta for Mythras and the 2d6 SFRPG setting of Castrobancla.

5 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

I'm pretty sure the "Classic Fantasy Expert Set" (itself an add-on to "Classic Fantasy", which is an add-on to Mythras) has one on the cover... Different name used in setting

Extract from the pseudo ToC. Italics in the original source.

Welcome

To the Classic Fantasy Expert Set, a sampler for the forthcoming Unearthed Companion.

The Mind Slayer & Psychic Powers (Pages 25 & 26)
The infamous mind slayer is detailed for Classic Fantasy, alongside rules for psionic powers.

5 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

It's the only "monster" introduced in the "Expert Set"; the rest are in the base "Classic Fantasy" supplement.

From Classic Fantasy itself

11. Monsters! 187
12: Treasure! 263

Almost 80 pages of monsters.

Edited by Baron Wulfraed

8 hours ago, g33k said:

There was a fan-made project that basically ripped the  ENTIRE  AD&D Monster-Manual & Fiend Folio, with blithe disregard for anything resembling copyright or Intellectual Property.

That made it... *HIGHLY* problematic on any site with even a *whiff* of "official" provenance, placing Chaosium right in the crosshairs of the D&D/WotC/Hasbro legal department.

So it's no longer really a "thing" here...

Did anyone get a 'cease and desist' over that?

I can't imagine that a fan-made rules conversion offered for free would put any kind of dent in Has-Borg's market share or property rights. But then, people have been sued for less...

On 8/9/2021 at 2:10 AM, Alex Greene said:

Basically, check out Luther Arkwright. That really is your best bet. The psionic powers listed there include drain prana, evil eye, focus force, inflict pain, mind probe, psychic wrack, sap vigour, and synaptic puppetry. Telepathy, clairvoyance, and telekinesis are a given.

Everything a growing illithid needs.

It's also possible to make Psionics a special tradition of Sorcery, with or without special rules.

Edited by Mugen

Check out "All The Worlds Monsters Vol III" by Chaosium, available through DriveThru. At the very beginning of Vol III is a short article by Steve Perrin on how to convert Monsters and races to Runequest. "All The Worlds Monsters Vol I and II" have more races and monsters you can convert using Steve Perrin's Article.

On 8/9/2021 at 1:25 AM, svensson said:

Did anyone get a 'cease and desist' over that?

I can't imagine that a fan-made rules conversion offered for free would put any kind of dent in Has-Borg's market share or property rights. But then, people have been sued for less...

As I understand it, the creator was asked to take it down, and they complied.  I don't know that there was/wasn't a lawyerly C&D.

The issue is ("fan made" or not) BRPC is an  official  Chaosium forum, and even a "fan" product probably looks hinky on this site, to the owner of the (c)-material (I expect that a fan-blog would be treated differently).

Otherwise, people could put up a "fan made" Warhammer-rip (not even s/n's filed off... like, art from the WH books) onto WotC's D&D site or Paizo's PF site; or preempt Modiphius' upcoming "Dune" RPG with a fan product at Evil Hat; or whatever.  So the folks who own/licence the (c) and/or IP tend to be kinda strict about those things.

Note that Chaosium-version OGL for the BRP explicitly says you can't use other peoples' IP's (not just not Chaosium's IP -- they don't want to be part of ripping off anyone else, either).

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

6 hours ago, svensson said:

That makes sense, regrettably. The best to do with a lawyer is not need one in the first place....

<looks around in alarm>
QUIET, MAN!!!  I think one of the Mod's here is a... a... <whispers> awyer-lay!!!

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 8/11/2021 at 8:05 AM, Ethereal said:

Check out "All The Worlds Monsters Vol III" by Chaosium, available through DriveThru. At the very beginning of Vol III is a short article by Steve Perrin on how to convert Monsters and races to Runequest. "All The Worlds Monsters Vol I and II" have more races and monsters you can convert using Steve Perrin's Article.

I just learned that Steve Perrin, Co-Creator of Runequest, Superworld, White Bear and Red Moon, and writer of the particular article in 'All The Worlds Monsters III' made his transition from physical to spirit Friday the 13th, 2021. Steve Perrin may your HeroQuests continue on the God Plane. May we meet there and adventure together with others of like mind, like heart and like spirit. Free superhero clip art clipart

https://clipartix.com/superhero-clip-art-image-15322/

https://www.chaosium.com/blogvale-and-farewell-steve-perrin-1946-2021/?fbclid=IwAR3MXs9OzrzJvbUhFnodMc26zPp9uY2kV2Uo5H0VlnIv9gWgT71b0wio4h4

Edited by Ethereal
Addition
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ethereal said:

I just learned that Steve Perrin, Co-Creator of Runequest, Superworld, White Bear and Red Moon, and writer of the particular article in 'All The Worlds Monsters III' made his transition from physical to spirit Friday the 13th, 2021. Steve Perrin may your HeroQuests continue on the God Plane. May we meet there and adventure

And the ranks of Old Geeks thins further.

Still, Gary, Greg, Ernie, and the rest will now have someone else at the table and living forever would get boring pretty quickly, so...

My sincere condolences and regrets to those who knew and loved Steve. A respectful tip from this old cavalryman's Stetson.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Worth mentioning:
Steve's wife Luise -- now widow -- was in hospice-care, and money had become extremely tight.  Steve had set up a GoFundMe for her care.
   https://www.gofundme.com/f/care-for-the-phoenix
She was the artist of the original RQ cover, among other things; and was part of Steve's early-days SCA life.

The situation now has changed... but changed for the worse.  After (I think) some bobbles over administration, Luise once again has access to funds donated there; and Steve's wife needs the broader community even more, now!  I encourage everyone (who can) to contribute.

(n.b. I know the $figure is $29K on an original $2K ask -- so it looks like a lot -- but the need is real, and ongoing.  Remember, this is most of a year old, and medical care CO$T$ a hell of a lot!  And her costs just skyrocketed, as stuff Steve used to do (cook/etc) he can no longer do).

Edited by g33k
  • Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig