The Abbey

soltakss

Has anyone bought The Abbey from Chaosium?

On the one hand, it seems as though this would be generally compatible to Val de Loupe/Merrie England, but on the other hand it looks suspiciously as though the Cthulhu Mythos is going to figure heavily.

If I bought it, with my anti-Call of Cthulhu bias, would I be disappointed?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

If I bought it, with my anti-Call of Cthulhu bias, would I be disappointed?

I do not know The Abbey, I only asked someone who does. He said that it is a

sourcebook, and that most of it is generic background information without much

of the Mythos - whatever that might mean.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I have a copy of the first printing from February 2004 - it's pretty good and not heavily biased towards the mythos. There's a description of the Abbey itself, some notes on 10th century France and the order of the Sword of St Jerome. I'm not sure how much it would add to another well researched historical setting but it's certainly not "mythos specific"...

Cheers,

Nick

I have a copy of the first printing from February 2004 - it's pretty good and not heavily biased towards the mythos. There's a description of the Abbey itself, some notes on 10th century France and the order of the Sword of St Jerome. I'm not sure how much it would add to another well researched historical setting but it's certainly not "mythos specific"...

Cheers,

Nick

Does this include 'The fall of Guthlac Abbey' which was part of the Pagan Cthulhu: Dark Ages campaign?

There were other non DA scenarios there but they are not available for free any more.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

Cheers,

Nick

Does this include 'The fall of Guthlac Abbey' which was part of the Pagan Cthulhu: Dark Ages campaign?

There were other non DA scenarios there but they are not available for free any more.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

Thanks, I might buy it to have a look at how it does things.

Of course, if it contains Shoggoths hiding in the cellar then I won't be a happy bunny at all ...

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Nope - Pagan Call is the work of the original author of CDA, Stephane Gesbert. The Abbey is by Michael Patty. The contents in my 2004 printing are:

• Saint Bartholomew's Abbey
  • Introduction to 10th Century France
  • The Order of the Sword of St Jerome
  • Plot Ideas

Don't recall any shoggoths in the cellar - there is, obviously a mythos element, but my memory is that it would be easy enough to redress as traditional occult.

Nick