More BRP Monographs for Mythras?

Simlasa

So far a couple of the old BRP Monographs, Classic Fantasy and Rubble & Ruin, from Chaosium have found their way to being fully fleshed out products using Mythras. Both of these go beyond their initial incarnation and are, IMO, improved renditions.

So what other BRP Monographs would people like to see return as settings for Mythras? Most likely using the Mythras Gateway license...
Fractured Hopes seems like a setting deserving of more exploration and expansion.
The Green and Aces High are two others that I liked a lot and would like to see more of.
What about Lords of Tarsa?
Swords of Cydoria?
I don't know if anything further happened with Sarah Newton's 'Chronicles of Future Earth' besides some fiction... but I'd love to see that setting come back as well.

Edited by Simlasa

Aces high. It’s by far the biggest gap in the Mythras lineup. Nothing even approaches western. 

a small edit: there will have to be extensive edits to remove some things which are deemed offensive now (I.e. the use of the term red skin). It’s also a pretty touchy subject, but a Mythras western supplement would still be in my list. 

Edited by Raleel
  • Like 4

Swords of Cydoria has already gone a different route and has become Exiled in Eris with a non-BRP system.

Rubble and Ruin and Classic Fantasy are the two other monographs I've actually played (in monograph form), though I've enjoyed and considered playing most of the others you've listed.

Edited by Questbird

3 hours ago, Questbird said:

Swords of Cydoria has already gone a different route and has become Exiled in Eris with a non-BRP system.

I'm aware of that one, but it shouldn't prevent them from putting out a Mythras edition if they wanted to.

A couple others that came to mind:
'Ashes To Ashes' - apocalyptic low-fantasy
'Agents Of The Crown' - victorian era proto-supers, ala 'The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen'

• Like 1

I don't know if anything further happened with Sarah Newton's 'Chronicles of Future Earth' besides some fiction... but I'd love to see that setting come back as well.

Fate version was kickstarted a couple years back, Sarah had a huge crisis in her personal life (partner of many years was diagnosed with a terminal illness and passed away) which obviously hugely impacted the project, but it is progressing again: 

Edited by NickMiddleton
Jeebus! posting / editing from a phone is AWFUL!!

On 7/23/2021 at 6:45 PM, Simlasa said:

Why?
There are loads of Cthulhu games out there now... but not so many in space.

Well because it's Mythras (The Design Mechanism) we're discussing here not Call of Cthulhu (Chaosium). I think the two companies are respectful of each others' areas of influence.

52 minutes ago, Questbird said:

Well because it's Mythras (The Design Mechanism) we're discussing here not Call of Cthulhu (Chaosium). I think the two companies are respectful of each others' areas of influence.

Maybe?
But does Chaosium have any plans for Cthulhu in space? Maybe it could include CoC 7e stats as well... hearkening back to the good old days when Chaosium put out products with stats for other systems.
Not that Mythras doesn't have some nice scifi in its stable already, but I'm thinking 3pp for all this.

Edited by Simlasa

On 7/22/2021 at 2:10 PM, Simlasa said:

I don't know if anything further happened with Sarah Newton's 'Chronicles of Future Earth' besides some fiction... but I'd love to see that setting come back as well.

The Kickstarter was for FATE Core Rules. I don't know how compatable that is with BRP/D100. I wanted to buy it as well until I found that out. However Mindjammer Press http://www.mindjammerpress.com/ gives additional information. Be sure to read the comments, before deciding to buy. You can also get The Chronicles of Future Earth: The Swallower of Souls - Quickstart Adventure. (for Free or donation) https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/253485/The-Chronicles-of-Future-Earth-The-Swallower-of-Souls--Quickstart-Adventure

• Like 1

Guest Vile Traveller
On 7/25/2021 at 3:14 AM, Questbird said:

There's no conflict given the huge number of Cthulhu Mythos games out there beyond CoC. However, given that John's River of Heaven is already in the OpenQuest stable, it might be more likely for Cthulhu Rising to go the same way if it were he to revive it. I'd love to see either, but it doesn't seem likely.

2 minutes ago, Vile Traveller said:

There's no conflict given the huge number of Cthulhu Mythos games out there beyond CoC. However, given that John's River of Heaven is already in the OpenQuest stable, it might be more likely for Cthulhu Rising to go the same way if it were he to revive it. I'd love to see either, but it doesn't seem likely.

True, and I like RoH. It does seem a bit more Traveller, and a bit less 2300AD to me though. And its really that near-ish future space that attracts me. Either platform would work, as would a stand alone product based on the Misery Engine. I think exposure would be greater though as a Mythras product.

SDLeary

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 2:23 PM, Ethereal said:

The Kickstarter was for FATE Core Rules. I don't know how compatable that is with BRP/D100.

Extensive work to convert.  Not very compatible, other than both being RPG's ...

Fate is built largely as a layer of narrativist mechanics (aspects &c) sitting on top of the Fudge engine.  Fudge in turn is an odd duck, "trad" school simulationist, but using custom dice & freeform stats/skills, depending on the genre/game/themes you want to play.

In principle, you could extract the "narative/Fate layer" and scale it to d100 instead of 4dF rolls.  "The Fate of BRP" ...

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...

Rubble and Ruin has been ported to Mythras:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/354244/Rubble-and-Ruin

I"m not done reading through it, but so far it looks even better than the original monograph.

The author was responsive to questions and requests. This makes it even more likely I'll run it for at least a few sessions as there's a better than good chance that any questions I may have regarding the setting which are not explicitly spelled out I can get a cordial response.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2021 at 8:05 PM, Simlasa said:

Maybe?
But does Chaosium have any plans for Cthulhu in space?

I am neither part of the Chaosium, nor The Design Mechanism.

But I observe Chaosium's BRP-OGL specifically says "no cthulhu BRP," so I don't think they'd be at all pleased by the move, unless explicit arrangements were made.
(n.b. they aren't claiming full RPG rights to the Mythos, just the Mythos rendered in the BRP engine; at least one effort, IIRC, fell afoul of Chaosium (c)'s. )

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 hours ago, g33k said:

I am neither part of the Chaosium, nor The Design Mechanism.

But I observe Chaosium's BRP-OGL specifically says "no cthulhu BRP," so I don't think they'd be at all pleased by the move, unless explicit arrangements were made.
(n.b. they aren't claiming full RPG rights to the Mythos, just the Mythos rendered in the BRP engine; at least one effort, IIRC, fell afoul of Chaosium (c)'s. )

I think more specifically you couldn’t make a cthulhu game and expect it to have BRP on it. I don’t believe it actually stops d100 cthulhu. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raleel said:

I think more specifically you couldn’t make a cthulhu game and expect it to have BRP on it. I don’t believe it actually stops d100 cthulhu. 

My view is that if you have to ask if you can do it then you probably can't.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

10 hours ago, Raleel said:

I think (as noted above) TDM prefers not to antagonize Chaosium, and vice versa.

I note that TDM was founded on the RQ label -- and license! -- recovered from Mongoose about the same time Loz & Pete left.

I suspect (with no specific knowledge) that they are explicitly enjoined from all-things-Cthulhu, unless separately licensed.

It's possible that the end of TDM's RQ license ended that enjointure... but this whole tangent is *DEEP* into the speculative weeds.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

I suspect (with no specific knowledge) that they are explicitly precludes all-things-Cthulhu, unless separately licensed.

Agreed that public speculation is pointless (and possibly ill-advised), so let's turn to an actual Mythos product just released under license using the Mythras game system: Weird of Hali.

https://www.aeongamespublishing.co.uk/product/weird-of-hali-roleplaying-the-other-side-of-the-cthulhu-mythos/94553/

So, there it is.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
  • Like 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

2 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

Agreed that public speculation is pointless (and possibly ill-advised), so let's turn to an actual Mythos product just released under license using the Mythras game system: Weird of Hali.

!i!

I've been interested in this... having run 'PCs as cultist' games in the past... but I haven't read the books this is based on and from a cursory look... I dunno if it's my sorta thing. Its big conceit is that the Mythos entities are actually the good guys... one comment I saw on the fiction source mentioned Nyarlathotep being some sort of 'Captain Planet' character out to stop folks from polluting the earth.

I'll might still get it, it's Mythras + Lovecraft(ish)... but I'm not all that interested in a 'politically correct' Mythos.

Edited by Simlasa