Mournblade being released in English

rsanford

9 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

Correct. It's a boardgame. What is true is that Department des Sombres Projets are dipping their toes into English language publishing.

They are going strong on their home turf: the Hawkmoon crowdfunding was a smashing success. And I am really looking forward to receiving my books.

So, I think that seeing Mournblade + Hawkmoon in English one day is very possible. But this is not the day.

18 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

A while back, there were some speculations around here regarding if Les Départements were holding the license in French only or worldwide. I guess it answers that question.

And it squashes the dreams of seeing a new edition of Stormbringer from Chaosium.

13 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

And the dream lives on! 😉

• 1 year later...
On 9/30/2022 at 1:46 PM, DreadDomain said:

Wow, very nice cover. What do I do? Pay 10 euro for the English starter in PDF or 21 euro for the French core rules in PDF? Decisions...

I finally decided against participating to the kickstarter and bought the pdf of the core game in French instead. I browsed the system quickly and it looks solid. Of course I'd prefer it to be BRP based but what I saw made sense. The books looks good with a combination of new line art and color art and recycled art from previous editions. The content is quite heavily based on the work done by Loz on the Elric of Melnibone sourcebook (which is a good thing).

I'll see when the kickstarter of the English version of the game comes if I jump on it or not.

Still sad to have to accept the a new BRP Stormbringer is most probably off the table now.

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2022 at 4:17 AM, jackleg2010 said:

Is Mournblade using BRP for it's system?

No.

It's a classic d10+attribute+skill versus difficulty system, with a small twist : you can chose to roll a d20 instead of a d10, but all odd values on the die would be treated as "0s". Which is why the system is named "CYD" for "Chose Your Die".

As a matter of fact, an Hawkmoon game using this system will soon be available in French.

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2022 at 10:02 PM, Mugen said:

I've not read Mournblade, despite being French. Its emphasis on playing agents of Law/Chaos/Balance never interested me. 

[Sorry, quoting you from another thread]

I had the same reaction regarding playing agents but after reading the game (but not playing it), this emphasis is more theoretical rather than enforced. It feels like it is only a way to explain why characters will start with the beginning of an allegiance (not unlike Elric! and Stormbringer). 

The text is heavily based on EoM 2e by Loz (a good thing), including cults, and demons (to the point where alphabetical entries in some tables retained the English order and not the translated sequence).

The game looks quite nice (again, I have not played it) but I do hope the translation will take care of a few things. First, when it comes to explaining rules, I find it quite unnecessarily verbose. Second, while the book looks generally good, the graphic design and the art is a bit all over the place. Not that it's not good but it feels slightly disjointed with a collection of recycled art and okay-ish new line art. 

Third, I find the character write-ups slightly annoying having "prédilections" (expertise?), which are linked to skills, listed separately. I feel it would be easier to read if they were combined; Persuasion 5 (Charm), instead of two separate entries.

I am not sure if the latest iteration of the CYD, Hawkmoon has made some refinements that would be incorporated in the english edition of Mournblade.

11 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

The text is heavily based on EoM 2e by Loz (a good thing), including cults, and demons (to the point where alphabetical entries in some tables retained the English order and not the translated sequence).

I remember I noticed a lot of simularities, but not to this extent.

I read that Hawkmoon also contains texts from French 2nd edition (based on Elric!).

But in this case, the author of both books is the same.

11 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

Third, I find the character write-ups slightly annoying having "prédilections" (expertise?), which are linked to skills, listed separately. I feel it would be easier to read if they were combined; Persuasion 5 (Charm), instead of two separate entries.

In this context, "prédilection" is a field of expertise you favor over the rest.

If the link between skills and prédilections is so strong, it's a pity they're listed separately.

12 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

I am not sure if the latest iteration of the CYD, Hawkmoon has made some refinements that would be incorporated in the english edition of Mournblade.

I don'r remember anyone mentioning any major rules changes in Hawkmoon.

5 hours ago, Mugen said:

In this context, "prédilection" is a field of expertise you favor over the rest.

If the link between skills and prédilections is so strong, it's a pity they're listed separately.

The link is actually direct. Each skill (compétence) has a list of relevant expertise (prédilections) associated to it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mugen said:

I don'r remember anyone mentioning any major rules changes in Hawkmoon.

I've got both Mournblade and Hawkmoon (and Mongoose Elric and Oriflam's Hawkmoon.

Actually the version of the CYD system in Mournblade and Hawkmoon is quite different. Combat in Hawkmoon has been greatly streamlined to the point that the two games are not entirely compatible. Forget casual plane hopping Young Kingdoms  sorcerers in the Tragic Millennium. Generally speaking, Hawkmoon looks a simpler and more immediate game.

It's a new game. Similarities with Oriflam's and Chaosium's exist but the interpretation of the setting is different.  I haven't noticed significant similarities with Mongoose Hawkmoon.

Edited by smiorgan
  • Like 1