Initiate of Babs & Ernalda?

DucksMustDie

13 hours ago, DucksMustDie said:

Is it possible for an initiate of BG to be also an initiate of Ernalda? Rules say one rune of 50+ is enough, that would be Earth, but if the babster has death/fertility 95/05, would that close the door? Thanks 🙂

I think the only issue is the ernaldan initiate will not be called by her temple to have an "active" role  in any fertility rituals. But Ernala is a lot of things, not only fertility.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DucksMustDie said:

She can be a damsel in distress, seeking protection (and sex & spells)

she can be a

- good / ambitious for herself (or her family, or her clan, ...) / strong / perverse / bad person

- a wife / widow / mother / courtisane / single person

- seeking power or nature or peace (by killing your ennemy you gain peace) or ...

Margaret Tatcher may be a good inspiration ^^ for an ernaldan "tainted" by BG

Don't reduce Ernalda to a damsel 😛

On 8/27/2021 at 11:02 AM, French Desperate WindChild said:

Margaret Tatcher may be a good inspiration ^^ for an ernaldan "tainted" by BG

I have to scrub my mind clean now.

• Haha 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

That's a pretty weird character concept but Rules As Written it seems to me it will fly:

All you need is one 50%+ rune in common with the god to initiate, Rules As Written.  A good high Earth rune will take her far with both cults. 

Just looking through the spell list in RBOM, most of the Ernalda speclal rune spells will go with an Earth rune, so if she has a high Earth rune people may not notice that your theoretical character is pretty bad at casting Charisma and Restore Health, which are the only ones that require the Fertility rune.  Heal Body will go with the earth rune, so she could still be a pretty good combat medic.  Bless Pregnancy and Bless Crops will run on an Earth rune, so she could make it in the routine Earth temple functions..

As RQiG is written, I don't see a prohibition on the Babeester Gor having a child - obviously that may pop up again in the forthcoming gods and cults book, or it may not.  So as RQiG is written she could even have a child and with 90% Earth, qualify as an Ernaldan priestess -  even if she also has 90% Death / 10% Fertility, so not a nurturing mother, the child may grow up pretty weird, or just be fostered out.

Neither Ernalda nor Babeester Gor get a cult writeup section in the canon RQ2 material.  Yes, they are in the  Gloranthan background, in Prince of Sartar  -  but Babeester isn't detailed there, just mentioned.   Storm Tribe details Babeester Gor (and says no sex, so in that case your theoretical character won't ever qualify as an Ernalda priestess).  But as I understand it the Heroquest books are not canon for RQiG.  How much of that writeup will carry over to the forthcoming gods book?  It's a mystery to me.  But it's 2021 and the player doesn't have time to get the character up to priestess requirements before the gods book will be printed, so is it an issue right now?    It may just be something the player will run into later, and find out weird character concepts have limits. 

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
one phrase
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 7:27 AM, Jeff said:

Here's what will be appearing in the Cults Book:

REQUIREMENTS TO BELONG

Initiates of Babeester Gor have all normal requirements and restrictions and receive all the usual benefits. Initiates are sworn to slay despoilers of the earth whenever met, and aid Axe Maidens in whatever is required. Initiates may not marry and must give any offspring to their local Earth Temple.

Seems to me celibacy is out. This babster is about to become a mother, that's the reason I asked about Ernalda. In my view, she might become a god talker of Ernalda + rune lord of Babs, unless Jeff plans to forbid it. And yes, becoming a good healer + a great warrior is her plan

Edit: A bit more about this character. Her most important runes are Earth 95, Death 95 and Harmony 80. I guess a typical babster is a cruel and merciless serial killer, but this one wants to be more like a paladin if you like (but Glorantha, not D&D), so she needs something balancing, that would be being a healer of Ernalda. She thinks horrible deeds can be redeemed with good deeds. Yes, a weird concept indeed  🙂

Edited by DucksMustDie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

That's a pretty weird character concept but Rules As Written it seems to me it will fly:

All you need is one 50%+ rune in common with the god to initiate, Rules As Written.  A good high Earth rune will take her far with both cults. 

Just looking through the spell list in RBOM, most of the Ernalda speclal rune spells will go with an Earth rune, so if she has a high Earth rune people may not notice that your theoretical character is pretty bad at casting Charisma and Restore Health, which are the only ones that require the Fertility rune.  Heal Body will go with the earth rune, so she could still be a pretty good combat medic.  Bless Pregnancy and Bless Crops will run on an Earth rune, so she could make it in the routine Earth temple functions..

As RQiG is written, I don't see a prohibition on the Babeester Gor having a child - obviously that may pop up again in the forthcoming gods and cults book, or it may not.  So as RQiG is written she could even have a child and with 90% Earth, qualify as an Ernaldan priestess -  even if she also has 90% Death / 10% Fertility, so not a nurturing mother, the child may grow up pretty weird, or just be fostered out.

Neither Ernalda nor Babeester Gor get a cult writeup section in the canon RQ2 material.  Yes, they are in the  Gloranthan background, in Prince of Sartar  -  but Babeester isn't detailed there, just mentioned.   Storm Tribe details Babeester Gor (and says no sex, so in that case your theoretical character won't ever qualify as an Ernalda priestess).  But as I understand it the Heroquest books are not canon for RQiG.  How much of that writeup will carry over to the forthcoming gods book?  It's a mystery to me.  But it's 2021 and the player doesn't have time to get the character up to priestess requirements before the gods book will be printed, so is it an issue right now?    It may just be something the player will run into later, and find out weird character concepts have limits. 

Well, as I've noted before, Storm Tribe/Sartar Companion's writeup doesn't say "no sex", it just requires a BG initiate only have sex with her goddess. So even with that (likely obsolete) cultic restriction, you just need another BG initiate and potentially some creative help from an Uleria initiate. Or just have the Ulerian cast Pregnancy on you and qualify for Ernalda priestess through parthenogenesis, which probably also counts as fitting the restrictions of Storm Tribe/Sartar Companion. Problem resolved. 

Edited by Eff
  • Like 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

Actually there are more loopholes than that:  if she has the child before initiation then the Storm Tribe (top of p. 203) no-sex provision would only come into play ex post facto. 

But anyway the Jeff extract shows that the Storm Tribe writeup is indeed obsolete, and the kid gets fostered out to the temple.  So will probably grow up better adjusted than if Mom kept him or her. 

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
page# last digit

On 8/28/2021 at 4:31 AM, soltakss said:

I have to scrub my mind clean now.

Babester Gor has a sacred weapon, if you need any help... (n.b. she's the one who gets to decide if you need the help).

C'es ne pas un .sig

YGMV - I look at it this way, Babeester Gor is a protector of the Earth Tribe. They are the rough people that do bad things to protect the Earth. If your PC decided to join Babeester Gor (BG) it is because you felt the need to do something more than provided by your PC's Earth cult. Whatever caused this need made you take a permanent or temporary leave of absence (LoA) from the original cult. While you are on that LoA you will not advance in the original cult but only in BG. When you complete the originating cause you go before both goddesses and decide your path forward. Lots of fun role-playing opportunities for the campaign. As always work with your GM to add this to the world.

• Like 1