BRP Monograph: Operation Ulysses (new science fiction monograph in the works)

Eric L. Webb

Operation Ulysses: Journey to the Gammadon Fields

Operation Ulysses will be a military science fiction campaign for the Basic RolePlaying system available through Chaosium Inc. Operation Ulysses takes place within the Gammadon fields, scene of an apocalyptic space war fought millennia ago by two extinct species. The shattered remains of their colossal starcraft still drift aimlessly and their ancient atomic mines even now patrol the space lanes, seeking to destroy any ship traversing the system. Midway through its journey across the Gammadon fields, near the planet of Ion 9, the ISIS corp. star freighter Ulysses was inexplicably wrenched out of hyperspace by an unknown form of energy. Shortly after its initial distress call, all communication between ISIS Corp. and the Ulysses was lost. Contacted by ISIS Corp., you and your team have been hired to travel to the Gammadon fields to unlock the mysteries behind the disappearance of the Ulysses.

Heroic level science fiction campaign for the Basic Roleplaying system

new alien species available for player character or non player character use

New equipment, weapons, vehicles and creatures

Edited by eric71

Your monograph sounds really promising. If you can come near the quality of Outpost 19 (which, by the way Nick, I think is great), then you can count on at least one sale! How many of those 30 alien species are intelligent, BTW?

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Im not sure yet,the main adventure will be about 6 chapters maybe more.there are side missions that could make up to another6-7 chapters worth of material.30 pretty detailed races,some of which have multiple forms.Then theres equipment,area maps,the ulysses mapped out...its 4 levels of starfreightor.im thinking somewhere around 100 pages atleast...Maybe more...ill have a better idea about that in the next few weeks.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am hesitant to give a submission date because everything about this project has taken twice as long to complete as I had originally anticipated. Weapons section... check, equipment & vehicles section... check, enemies’ list... check. NPC write-ups... check, Maps check, interior art & cover art... check, chapters one, two, three, four five, six... check. That leaves the last couple of chapters, we are doing layout on the finished sections while I complete the final chapters. We are still fleshing out the “new species” section of the book, so if there is a particular type of alien you would like to see included, speak up now.

It's never a good idea to give release dates, IMO. Once everything is ready, you can bet you'll find it's only half-done!

I agree, but asking is a good way to find out if the project is still being attended to, and shows that someone is interested in the final product.:)

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

We are still fleshing out the “new species” section of the book, so if there is a particular type of alien you would like to see included, speak up now.

Errrr off the top of my cranium.... energy beings are always good to have in a setting, errr a race that uses bioships and biotech equipment, a race of jovian balloon beings, a race of plasmoids that can live in space or close to the surface of a star....a race of vacumorphs that eat cometary material and can eat ship hulls... ;)

Edited by Conrad
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

We are still fleshing out the “new species” section of the book, so if there is a particular type of alien you would like to see included, speak up now.

Provided it would fit into your setting, an aquatic or semi-aquatic one would be

most welcome. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)