BRP Monograph: Operation Ulysses (new science fiction monograph in the works)

Eric L. Webb

On first reading the description of this book I took it to be similar to some of the other BRP SF monographs, in that it's primarily a scenario book with supporting material to establish the setting.

On further consideration, that doesn't seem to be the case. A roster of 30 alien species is pretty extensive and implies more of a setting book than a scenario book.

How would you describe it. Setting book with a suggested campaign? Campaign guide with supporting setting material?

Simon Hibbs

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

Hurrah ! can you give us a table of contents ?

Let me summarize the book without giving out a table of contents, as I’m afraid that some of the chapter titles might spoil the fun for players. The book is a scenario book (one long scenario) and a resource book second. Chapters 1-11 (pages 1-113) deal entirely with the main adventure (maps, player handouts, adventure text etc.). One chapter deals with a starship that has four levels and 169 fully detailed areas. Next is an “Enemies List” section that provides stats, descriptions, powers and equipment for all of the adventures adversaries. The Enemies List is provided as a GM resource and it goes from pg 114-120 and includes 21 different enemy types (robots, alien commandos, mercenaries, soldiers, medics, scientists, technicians, Spec-Op units etc.)

An optional “Creatures” section provides four new creatures with suggested optional encounters. After that are the “Major NPCs” write-ups and stats, 18 in all, pg 121-129. Next are the equipment, vehicles, and weapons sections, detailing all of the items within the adventure, pg 134-156, around fifty pieces of equipment/vehicles (and a Mech) and thirty weapons. Last is the “Species” section, pg 156-182. This section includes thirteen new species. A couple of the species included have multiple forms, one has seven variations. There were more species written up but they have been held back for further analysis.

Edited by eric71

Eric71, if you can't be bothered to answer my question about when Operation Ulysses is going to be out, then why should I be bothered with getting a copy?

Edited by Conrad
eric71 never answered my question
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

• 1 month later...

Influences....hmmmm....The tone of the sci-fi is probably most akin to the TSR roleplaying game Star Frontiers and the Mass Effect video games (space-opera action-adventure) . Definatlly more Aliens (the James Cameron version) than Starship Troopers.

Edited by eric71

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...