two-headed serpent questions

galafrone

I am about to begin a campaign with CPulp.

I have read the whole starting setup and chapter 1.

i have 2 questions: 

1) the characters are inserted via paraguay (flying to asuncion) and arrive in the theater of operations, but the front has moved. Hence they come from paraguay side, just to encounter bolivian soldiers. It means that the front is behind them, and so they should have been encountering paraguyan troops retreating informing that they are going into "bolivian country" ?

or the bolivians are to be presumed behind the front lines and the paraguayans are at their back and all this territory is in paraguayan hands and they are just stragglers ?

if this is bolivian-controlled territory, shouldnt have more sense an insertion via La Paz and bolivian country ?

2) the character are travelling with an expedition bringing medics and nurses + supplies to the already established camp in the jungle. But i cant find a single mention of the group they are with.. or what happens when the first scene occurs... are they meant to arrive alone at the camp ? i think i am missing something...

thanks for the help

Hi there - it's been a few years, so without going back and reading it through again my memory is a bit hazy! The intent is to provide a set-up that creates an in media res start to the campaign. Given it's a warzone, it's meant to be chaotic and confusing. In my mind, it was something like the confusion we see in Apocalypse Now. IIRC correctly, the team has some nurses and medical supplies with them? Given that it is Pulp, combined with what happens within moments of the game starting, all those details soon take a back seat to the action and excitement! 

As always, I think the best advice is to adapt the text through to suit your own thinking and approach, and if there are some elements that don't  stack up, then feel free to adapt them. 

I hope that helps, and that you and your group have fun with the campaign!

• Like 2