[CoC7E] Occult Books

AlHazred

So, the most recent edition of Call of Cthulhu has a section at the end of the list of Lovecraftian tomes which lists Occult Books. As opposed to Mythos Tomes, these books don't actually tell you how the world really works (hence they give no Cthulhu Mythos skill), but give increases to Occult skill. It's also mentioned that these make good filler for villain libraries; you can have info penned in the margin, or even a spell doodled on the endpapers, without giving a super-useful item to the party. The ones given stats in the rulebook are: Beatus Methodivo, The Emerald Tablet, The Golden Bough, I Ching, Isis Evolved, The Key of Solomon, Malleus Maleficarum, the Oracles of Nostradamus, The Witch-Cult in Western Europe and The Zohar. I know Keepers have spent a lot of time and blog space writing up Mythos Tomes; what about some game stat interpretations of Real World occult books? Please post your interpretations below. Or, if you've come up with your own occult book with no mythos value, where you're proud of the backstory, feel free to post that here, too.

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

What got me on this topic was running "The Auction" scenario from The Asylum and Other Tales, a scenario compilation from the 2nd edition days. The auction catalogue has several items of occult interest but no Cthulhu Mythos function; I wanted to have stats for them in my game, so I put some research into them.

Lot 2. Manuscript of Beth Eloim

I am not a scholar, so I wasn't able to identify which Hebrew grimoire this might have been based on. It's given a publishing date of 1580, which was, I believe, the heyday of European magicians "discovering" the rich Kabbalistic tradition. I statted it out as follows:

Manuscript of Beth Elohim
Aramaic, anonymous, 1580

Unnamed Kabbalistic treatise on the nature of the soul and divinity, and a metaphysical discussion of the nature and functions of angels and devils.
Sanity Loss: nil
Occult: +4 percentiles

Lot 6. The Magus

The Magus, or Celestial Intelligencer
English, by Francis Barrett, 1801, in two volumes
A massive overview of occult practices collated from the writings of the great scholars of the past: Hermes Trismegistus, Johannes Trithemius, Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa, John Dee, and many others. Spurred the occult revival. Found in many libraries.
Sanity Loss: nil/1D4
Occult: +10 percentiles

Lot 11. The Book of the Dead [sic]

Despite the lot title saying "The Book of the Dead," the author put in the description for "The Book of the Law" which is a different entity. The Egyptian Book of the Dead was a book by E. A. Wallis Budge using the egyptological scholarship of the time to translate the Pyramid Texts and portions of the Papyrus of Ani. The Book of the Law was by Crowley, and much more appropriate for an occult auction.

Liber AL vel Legis, or The Book of the Law
English, by Aleister Crowley, 1909
The central sacred text of Crowley’s re-envisioning of modern occult practice. Delivered by an entity called Aiwass, it describes a new evolution of human spirituality to usher in a new age on Earth.
Occult: +4 percentiles

Lot 12. Prodigies in the New-England Canaan

I can't do a better job on this Mythos book than @SentinelHillPress (Bret Kramer) does in The Arkham Gazette issue 1. I highly recommend this article.

Lot 14. Dictionairre Infernal [sic]

Dictionnaire Infernal
French, by Jacques Collin de Plancy, 1863, illustrated
A full description of the hierarchies of demons. This edition includes sixty-nine illustrations of demons by Louis Le Breton.
Occult: +1 percentiles

I am not a practicing occultist, and would love to hear from someone more knowledgeable if my percentages seem "off." They're based on what I could find of the content, and the esteem in which the books are held. The Magus seems to be held in a very high esteem, for example, as a general reference work of the time, while several others were considered more minor (if important) works.

Edited by AlHazred
Linked user.
  • Like 3

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

On 9/7/2021 at 6:56 AM, AlHazred said:

So, the most recent edition of Call of Cthulhu has a section at the end of the list of Lovecraftian tomes which lists Occult Books. As opposed to Mythos Tomes, these books don't actually tell you how the world really works (hence they give no Cthulhu Mythos skill), but give increases to Occult skill. It's also mentioned that these make good filler for villain libraries; you can have info penned in the margin, or even a spell doodled on the endpapers, without giving a super-useful item to the party. The ones given stats in the rulebook are: Beatus Methodivo, The Emerald Tablet, The Golden Bough, I Ching, Isis Evolved, The Key of Solomon, Malleus Maleficarum, the Oracles of Nostradamus, The Witch-Cult in Western Europe and The Zohar. I know Keepers have spent a lot of time and blog space writing up Mythos Tomes; what about some game stat interpretations of Real World occult books? Please post your interpretations below. Or, if you've come up with your own occult book with no mythos value, where you're proud of the backstory, feel free to post that here, too.

I literally own and have read all those books.  Also, I believe you meant Isis Unveiled (not Evolved) by Blavatsky.

The Beatus Methodivo is usually printed as "Bermechobus" and should be written as the Bea-Methodius.  It is supposedly written by Saint Methodius, but the authorship is generally described as being Pseudo-Methodius becaus nobody believes that.  It is a book that prophecies the end of the world, a bit like Revelations,and has a pseudo-gnostic heritage.  It appeared first as part of the Mirabilis Liber, which is a book of Christian prophecies from diverse sources.  This one is seldom reprinted and is hard to find.

The Emerald Tablet is literally a single page of cryptic allegorical alchemical poetry, best read in the original Greek.  It is all about the interpretation, but supposedly it covers the recipe to make the philosopher's stone.  For those who want to know, the Alchemical belief was that it must be possible to produce metals the way nature and the Earth produces metals, and that was the Philosopher's stone, via a process of evaporation and condensation.   Of course the real philosopher's stone was naturally occurring and relatively stable but immensely rare Americanium crystals.

The Golden Bough is a colossal 26 volume treatise on the anthropology of religion with particular reference to the role of human sacrifice and other fertility motifs.  There is a still large (400 odd pages) condensed paperback volume with a Bosch painting on the cover (the Garden of Earthly delights).

The I Ching is an oracle that allows you to perform divination by casting yarrow stalks, or coins, and it will provide you with a cryptic series of suggestions about the situation that is troubling you.  You know those Chinese six line pictograms with open or broken lines?  It's about them.  There are umpteen different translations and editions. 

The Key of Solomon is a renaissance book that covers summoning demons via magical circles and the use of candles and a black mirror.  it has a few other spells in it too.  It uses the Transitus Fluvii alphabet of Agrippa in its sigils (which speaks to its origins pretty eloquently).  This is not to be confused with other works attributed to Solomon, as there are quite a few.

Isis Unveiled is a large book by Helena Blavatsky, founder of the Theosophical Movement.  It is generally believed that she plagiarized it.  The book's first chapter  covers psychic phenomena and a critique of science, and the second covers a wide ranging treatment of religious philosophy.  It also covers some weird and pretty racist statements about a pseudo-evolutionary theory of humanity.

The Oracles of Nostradamus has had many editions, and essentially contains a large number of 4 line poems in Old French, that purport to tell of future events.  The prophecies tell, amongst other things, of the coming of 3 Antichrists.  Plenty of reprints, as certain people try to hype up interest in Nostradamus every decade or so.

The Witch Cult in Western Europe is by Margaret Murray and was published on the back of the success of the Golden Bough.  It is a 1921 introduction into what became the Wicca religion.

The Zohar is the primary text on Kabbalah.  It is a big thick book on the mysteries of the Torah (first five books of the Hebrew Bible).  It is an exegesis on the mystical cosmology of Kaballistic Judaism, and is considered a mystical text.

Edited by Darius West
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

I believe you meant Isis Unveiled (not Evolved) by Blavatsky.

Hilarious. While I was writing my post, I had the book Arcana Evolved by Monte Cook sitting on my table. Ah, the power of subliminals.

Do you feel the characterizations of the books as far as "occult value" are accurate?

• Haha 1

ROLAND VOLZ

3 hours ago, Grimmshade said:

Great topic! I'd love a list of more real occult books in CoC terms. I'll add the books I actually own when more sober. 😛

Yeah, certainly Alhazred came up with a good idea for a topic.  In terms of this, I have what I call my "Dangerous Book Collection".  It is not so much necessarily about collecting occult books, so much as books that have been banned for whatever spurious reasons, or books that have proven to be troublesome to their societies even if they weren't banned.  Of course I have quite a few occult books in the collection, because they have been scheduled by the Vatican as being unfit for the eyes of Catholic layfolk.

Interestingly, the much vaunted Picatrix has been translated into English (from Spanish) in the last few years.  While it is essentially just a short book detailing how to make amulets that allegedly harness the influence of the planets, it has this enormous reputation, and keeps showing up in RPGs as this occult "mega text". I'm not certain the subject matter really qualifies, as I doubt there is anything in it that hasn't been covered by Paracelsus or Albertus Magnus. 

17 hours ago, AlHazred said:

Do you feel the characterizations of the books as far as "occult value" are accurate?

Well, on review, they are likely pretty good with a few exceptions.  For example, +5% Occult seems okay for the Golden Bough softcover, but for reading the full 26 volume magnum opus is likely worth +20% Anthropology and +15% Occult.

Frankly I don't think the Malleus Maleficarum is worth +3% occult.  It is more +10% Christian sexual neurosis, and perhaps +1% Occult.

Isis Unveiled gets pretty weird and batty, and some of the ideas of the pre-human races might even be worth +1% Mythos.

I also feel that the Witch Cult in Western Europe hasn't been properly treated in CoC.  I mean, if you have been to Dunwich or Arkham 

Spoiler

where versions of the Witch cults are actually still operating

then you might find that text more valuable than +1% occult.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Darius West said:

Well, on review, they are likely pretty good with a few exceptions.  For example, +5% Occult seems okay for the Golden Bough softcover, but for reading the full 26 volume magnum opus is likely worth +20% Anthropology and +15% Occult.

Frankly I don't think the Malleus Maleficarum is worth +3% occult.  It is more +10% Christian sexual neurosis, and perhaps +1% Occult.

I actually own the 26-volume version, in I think the 2nd edition. It's enormous, and I'd be lying if I said I'd read the whole thing. But it's really interesting and comprehensive.

7 hours ago, Darius West said:

😄

• Like 1

ROLAND VOLZ

I've often thought that Sandy Petersen missed a step. The game included an Idea roll from the beginning. It was clear from his writings that Lovecraft intended that the "cosmic nihilistic truth" in his writings be accessible, just hidden or occulted by people who don't want to face the indifferent universe. Regular occult volumes should have been in there from the beginning, but given a Cthulhu Mythos bonus only if the reader succeeds in an Idea roll -- these volumes contain enough matter and cross-referencing that a reader can guess at the ultimate cosmic secrets, but only if they put the pieces together. So, real works like Daemonolatreia by Remigius should have been, maybe, +3% Occult, and +0% initial CM and +0/1% full CM. Maybe even give it a 7 MR in 7th edition terms. These are all numbers I pulled out of thin air since I've never read it and am not an occultist; they were just an example. I'd love to see someone who's read these real-world books, and understands their place in context, to weigh in with some numbers I could use in a game.

For reference, this is a list of real-world books that appeared in Lovecraft's stories:

• Ars Magna et Ultima (The Great and Last Art), Raymond Lull (The Case of Charles Dexter Ward) -- alchemy.
  • The Story of Atlantis and The Lost Lemuria, W. Scott-Elliot (“The Call of Cthulhu”)
  • The Book of Dzyan (“The Diary of Alonzo Typer” and “The Haunter of the Dark”) -- this one's a whole article in-and-of itself.
  • The Book of Thoth (“Through the Gates of the Silver Key”)
  • Clavis Alchemiae (The Key of Alchemy), Robert Fludd (The Case of Charles Dexter Ward) -- alchemy.
  • Cryptomenysis Patefacta (Art of Secret Information Disclosed Without a Key), John Falconer (“The Dunwich Horror”) -- cryptography.
  • The Daemonolatreia, Remigius (“The Festival” and “The Dunwich Horror”)
  • De Furtivis Literarum Notis (On the Secret Symbols of Letters), Giovanni Battista della Porta (“The Dunwich Horror”) -- cryptography.
  • The Golden Bough, Sir James George Frazer (“The Call of Cthulhu”)
  • De Lapide Philosophico (On the Philosophers' Stone), Johannes Trithemius (The Case of Charles Dexter Ward) -- alchemy.
  • Key of Wisdom, Artephius (The Case of Charles Dexter Ward)
  • Kryptographik, Johann Ludwig Kluber (“The Dunwich Horror”) -- cryptography.
  • Liber Investigationis [actually, De investigatione perfectionis ("On the Investigation of Perfection")], Pseudo-Geber (The Case of Charles Dexter Ward) -- alchemy.
  • Magnalia Christi Americana (The Great Works of Christ in America), Cotton Mather (“The Picture in the House,” “The Unnamable,” “Pickman’s Model,” and The Case of Charles Dexter Ward)
  • Poligraphia, Johannes Trithemius (“The Dunwich Horror”) -- cryptography.
  • Saducismus Triumphatus (Full and Plain Evidence Concerning Witches and Apparitions), Joseph Glanvil (“The Festival”)
  • Thesaurus Chemicus, Roger Bacon (The Case of Charles Dexter Ward)
  • Traicté des Chiffres ou Secrètes Manières d'Escrire (Treatise on Figures or Secret Ways of Writing), Blaise de Vigenère (“The Dunwich Horror”)
  • Turba Philosophorum (Assembly of the Philosophers), Guglielmo Grataroli (The Case of Charles Dexter Ward) -- alchemy.
  • The Witch-Cult in Western Europe, Dr. Margaret Murray (“The Horror at Red Hook” and “The Call of Cthulhu”)
  • Wonders of the Invisible World, Cotton Mather (“Pickman’s Model”)
  • The Zohar (The Case of Charles Dexter Ward)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

ROLAND VOLZ

For a convention one-shot I have a cultist creating a book of necromancy out of human flesh. Any sources of the actual CREATION of a grimoire? I'm making a spell to Prepair Flesh to be an incorruptible page and iron-based ink using charcoal and blood. Even unfinished, anybody looking through it gets chills and a moan in the back of their mind with dreams for the next few days. 

Would appreciate any suggestions. 

9 hours ago, AlHazred said:

So, real works like Daemonolatreia by Remigius should have been, maybe, +3% Occult, and +0% initial CM and +0/1% full CM.

Not a bad idea.

Maybe even give it a 7 MR in 7th edition terms.

Or perhaps they could have a small MR, but not increase the Cthulhu Mythos skill - if you have the skill, then you can use the book as a reference, picking out the truth behind the occlusion, but it remains impenetrable to the uninitiated.

Regular occult volumes should have been in there from the beginning, but given a Cthulhu Mythos bonus only if the reader succeeds in an Idea roll -- these volumes contain enough matter and cross-referencing that a reader can guess at the ultimate cosmic secrets, but only if they put the pieces together.

An observation made in a Trail of Cthulhu supplement (Cthulhu City) was that if the Mythos underlies all of reality, then looking into any subject would eventually lead to Mythos truths.

• Like 1

I no longer own them, but I'd like to see the Necronomicon that is available in book stores (barely related to Lovecraft, but iirc contained 2 or 3 "spells"), and the Satanic Bible.

I need to check the rules for non Mythos magic again, as there are several books that I'd like to stat that would qualify. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 12:17 PM, HierophantX said:

Pardon me while I raise up this thread using essential saltes...

Is there a comprehensive list of Mythos/Occult Tomes for use in BRP games someplace? I'm working out my own list of late-medieval books on various natural philosophy sort of subjects and I'm looking to build a bigger database...

There are some real-world Occult tomes in the 7E Keeper's Tome.

EDIT: Occurs to me I didn't list them:

• Beatus Methodivo, attributed to St. Methodius of Olympus, c. 300 AD
  • The Emerald Tablet, apparently from a Phoenician original, author or authors unknown, c. 200 AD
  • The Golden Bough, by Sir George Frazer, 1890, in two volumes
  • I Ching, circa 2000 BC onwards, modern English translations available
  • Isis Unveiled, by Madame Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, 1877
  • The Key of Solomon, 14th century AD
  • Malleus Maleficarum, by Sprenger and Kramer, 1486 AD
  • Oracles of Nostradamus, by Michel de Nostradame [Nostradamus], 1555-1557
  • The Witch-Cult in Western Europe, by Dr. Margaret Murray, 1921
  • The Zohar, many editions and translated to Latin, German, English, French, etc., by Moses de Leon, 1280 AD

EDIT 2: And I realized I listed them in the first post. Oh well...

Edited by AlHazred

ROLAND VOLZ

• 4 weeks later...

Alhazred, on September 6 Posted this:

Manuscript of Beth Elohim
Aramaic, anonymous, 1580

Unnamed Kabbalistic treatise on the nature of the soul and divinity, and a metaphysical discussion of the nature and functions of angels and devils.
Sanity Loss: nil
Occult: +4 percentiles

I know a little bit of Hebrew, and I actually own and am in the process of reading the 12-volume Pritzker English Edition, translated by Daniel Matt. V. 1 was published in 2004, and the final volume 12 was published in 2017.  

The title Beth Elohim could be translated as 

Beth=House

Elohim = as either God, the monotheistic one God as understood by the Rabbis.  Or literally, the word is the masculine plural of Divine Being, hence 'Gods'.  Or can be translated as referring to 'Divine Beings' such as Angels, and thus even as The House of Angles and Demons.  So, yes, I would agree with Alhazred that the book could contain information concerning how to journey up toward the House of the Divine Being(s), thus discussing the nature of the human soul and its capacity to connect with the divine and thus make such a journey.  It would thus have reference to the Merkavah literature - the pre-official 'Kabbalah' literature of the Rabbis of the 13th century, which is when that term was used.  Like all Merkavah/Chariot literature, it would talk of the many celestial thrones above our human realm, with the guardians of those realms, the dangers you would face, how to avoid them, chants to safely visit those realms, etc.  It would, therefore, describe the angelic and demonic beings parallel to each of those higher realms.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkabah_mysticism

Sanity loss: I would say there could be some; if by reading it and trying to use the techniques described to make the journey, it could cost some sanity since it would undercut the idea that the material realm is the only realm which would therefore give knowledge of the 'True' Mythos knowledge that magick and such things are real.

Occult: could be higher in value as well, depending on how you wish to think about the Occult nature of the universe.  Are these Angelic realms describing via metaphors of this rabbinic culture their own encounter with the Great Old Ones, the Other Gods, or even the Outer Gods?  If so, then it could lead to real Mythos knowledge and points.  It all depends on how you wish to play this out.  If the Mythos is real, then perhaps every culture has encountered some glimpse of it and had to struggle with its own cultural biases to describe it.  This plays into the universal theory that all cultures encountered Cthulhu but just named that being within their own language and culture. I have many of my gaming texts in storage, but I do recall one in which they met a Rabbi who explained the Arabic and Hebrew terms that were their linguistic translation of our English translation for the Great Old One Cthulhu.   This, of course, leads back to a higher sanity loss once the reader accepts and understands the True Nature of what is being described.

It all depends on how you, as GM, want to play the game.  What is the underlying reality of any and all occult texts?  Are some just fabrications of human minds and do not describe any actual changes in how the material world functions?  Or do these texts, within their own cultural construct, describe Mythos Knowledge and thus do make changes in how the material world functions and thus reveal the powers of Mythos?  It all depends on your own cultural background.  If the GM is not familiar with the occult culture that the real text was written in, you may not be able to sufficiently describe for yourself, and thus your players, how what the text describes is actually a metaphor for describing how the Mythos magic and True History of all the realms actually functions.  

Thus, for example, is the term 'Satan' aka 'Supreme Lord of Hell' just a human mythology - Dante's Inferno just describing his version of the Christian Hell, or did he encounter, say, Cthulhu or one of the Other Gods and just gave the Christian Biblical name of 'Satan' to that being who he described?  It all depends on how you, the GM, wish to play things out.  At least, that is how it seems to me.

Lovecraft seemed to agree with Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Within my own novels, the Mythos term Other Gods are the Gods of Earth and, therefore, a term for any humanly crafted deity.  In my game, Jesus, Adonai Elohim Melech HaOlam aka YHVH, Allah, Krishna, Kali, etc, Zeus, Jupiter, and Odin, etc. are all deities that humans worship at varying times and places and are, therefore, 'Other Gods'.  All human religions describe deities who are 'real' but are, in the grand scheme of the Mythos, lesser in power and might than even the Great Old Ones.  All human Gods are bound to just this planet and can only affect this planet and, perhaps to a lesser extent Waking World Earth's Dreamland.

Edited by Gray Raven
fix capitalization of the word Mythos.
  • Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 8:18 PM, Darius West said:

There are quite a few Necronomicons out there these days.  Most derive in part from the Simon Necronomicon. Sadly it just doesn't live up to the hype.

Donald Tyson's Necronomicon: The Wanderings of Alhazred, Llewellyn Publications, 2005, I found to be a very interesting and 'realistic' English version of the fabled text.