🔥🤔What are the best RQG rules? 🤔🔥

icebrand

Hi all, and happy friday!!!

Today i want to talk about what you think are the best rules of RQG, you know, stuff that sets it apart from vanilla BRP, stuff that makes you say "this is why RQG is my favorite edition!

(Then of course I'm gonna add them to my CE campaign because I'm as dense as a hungry uz 🦛 LOL)

My favorite are:

* A single skill for attack and parry (but thats kinda from BRP)

* Rune Points (i gave my players 3 points to start but i feel it was a monumental mistake haha)

Well, that's it! 

• Like 1

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

• Runes - It really adds to the integration with the world of Glorantha and adds a lot of flexibility. I also really like the opposed runes, no one can be good at everything and getting stronger in one, leaves you weaker in the other
  • Rune Points - the default is to get 3 points, not sure why you think that is a mistake, as a player, it's been a blast being able to use Rune Spells. If I compare it to my RQ3 Issaries initiate who I played for years and who never used any of his one-use Divine Magic, it's way better
  • Passions - great roleplaying tools and a great grab from Pendragon
  • Shaman rules - fills a big hole in the magic system
  • Seasonal XP rolls/Worship - again, it embeds you in the world much more strongly than in earlier editions
  • Character family history - again, gives you a built-in backstory that is often shared with the other party members, more integration with Glorantha
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, Martin Dick said:
  • Runes - It really adds to the integration with the world of Glorantha and adds a lot of flexibility. I also really like the opposed runes, no one can be good at everything and getting stronger in one, leaves you weaker in the other
  • Rune Points - the default is to get 3 points, not sure why you think that is a mistake, as a player, it's been a blast being able to use Rune Spells. If I compare it to my RQ3 Issaries initiate who I played for years and who never used any of his one-use Divine Magic, it's way better
  • Seasonal XP rolls/Worship - again, it embeds you in the world much more strongly than in earlier editions
  • Character family history - again, gives you a built-in backstory that is often shared with the other party members, more integration with Glorantha

Oh yeah, i also use the seasonal skill checks and worship (i even give them a free pow check since i really don't like how the game greatly encourages players to just cast (random spell) for checks.

As for 3 RP, where are those supposed to come from? Why does everyone have 3?

The meta game of CE strongly encourages to get 18POW (and priest rank) ASAP, that means literally everyone will get (near) 0 runespells until they are priest rank. While rune points greatly mitigate this, giving them 3 to start means they will have 3 until RP (or at least RL) unless it's one of those cults with #of spells required; if i gave them 0 they would have the choice to buy spells or aim for higher rank, now it's a no brainer.

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

7 minutes ago, Psullie said:

'cause "three is a magic number, yes it is" 🎶

+1 on Runes and bolting them into the game

Passions (but I'm a Pendragon fan)

If i do add runes/passions I'm going d20 like in Pendragon, but it's a lot of work, doesn't fit the chartsheet, and  I'm not sure how to implement mid game tbh

5 hours ago, icebrand said:

Page 73 (emphasis is from the book):

An adventurer should start play as an initiate of a cult. The player should select the cult of a deity that the adventurer has at least one Rune with a rating of at least 50% in common with the deity.

As an initiate, your adventurer starts play with 3 Rune points dedicated to that cult.

Assumption is likely that one has sacrificed POW as an initiate during the "prior experience" period.

Edited by Baron Wulfraed
clean up formatting, add assumption

Player characters are by default 21 years old and have been adults participating in historical events for 3-5 years. Presumably, they've sacrificed for Rune magic twice more after joining their cult in that interval. 

• Like 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

If i do add runes/passions I'm going d20 like in Pendragon, but it's a lot of work, doesn't fit the chartsheet, and  I'm not sure how to implement mid game tbh

For inspiration, you might start by looking where worlds collided:

https://www.pensee.com/dunham/pdp.html

PenDragonPass is going the other direction, though -- adding RQ to Pendragon -- so YMMV.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
  • Like 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

17 hours ago, Martin Dick said:
  • Rune Points - If I compare it to my RQ3 Issaries initiate who I played for years and who never used any of his one-use Divine Magic, it's way better

This summarizes my favorite parts of RQG.I would further add that the way Runes cover both personality traits (another cheer for Pendragon!) and your ability to cast divine spells is a very clever way to ensure characters will want to emulate their god.

4 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

For me, it's largely the G in RQG. Which, I suppose in rules terms, means the cults, and races, and histories, and myths.

And this. I like generic systems (I love BRP, HERO and GURPS) but I prefer when the systems supports/enhances/emulates a setting. Crack open RQG and it's immediately clear it is about Glorantha (did I mention it is my favorite fantasy setting?).

Edited by DreadDomain
  • Like 3