Draconic Eurmal?

EricW

From King of Sartar

One day Eurmal found a new way to betray his master. He found a foolish man, and he split his tongue, the way that a bird’s tongue can be split to make it talk. And he also split the man’s brain, and his heart. That way the man would understand dragon speech.

The man, who is called Rostand the Speaker, enjoyed the effect. The dragonewts, which were always something to fear, spoke to him and he understood. He found his way to a dragon, and rather than being eaten, he learned a song from it!

Rostand though this was great fun, and so he got his friends and his family to try it. It was a simple operation; soon they were all doing it to each other.

It was easy to understand the dragon speech, and to learn to do new magic from them. Many people wanted to do this, and did.

Is Eurmal a master of dragon magic? Or does he regard dragon magic and draconic thinking as a joke to be inflicted on others? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EricW said:

Is Eurmal a master of dragon magic? Or does he regard dragon magic and draconic thinking as a joke to be inflicted on others? 

Anything that goes bad in Orlanthi history is probably blamed on an Eurmali.  God Learners?  seduced by one of Eurma's tricks etc.  Historically on the other hand, no tricksters may have been present at any time.  The best understanding of the contradition is perhaps is that Eurmal as a Great God is present in every new thing and that if the New Thing goes bad, then he is to blame.

Another way of looking at it might that Loki (the TV show) caused the rise of Kang the Conqueror even though he never met Kang.

• Like 3

Argrath and Elusu are confronted by the Green Dragon.

ELUSU: Wa, I got this, Chief.

Elusu reaches into her backpack and pulls out a ragged set of green PJs decorated with a cloth tail and tatty leather wings. She puts them on and speaks Wyrmtongue:

ELUSU: No kill I! (cast LIE) We all friendlike delicious!

The Green Dragon swallows Elusu whole. Argrath hides.

Later that day, the Green Dragon defecates, then flies off. Argrath emerges from hiding. Elusu springs out of the enormous pile of poop.

ELUSU: It worked!

ARGRATH: You tried to say ally which is tthtththtsspppssspt. But instead you said ppstthhtsspppssspt which means delicious.

ELUSU: Yeah, in dragon that's pretty much the same thing. 

ARGRATH: Good point, ally.

ELUSU: STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Leingod said:

Or maybe that Eurmal's own insight into the cosmos is close enough to draconic understanding to allow him to impart some misleading false insights whose consequences will start small but become a big problem later.

The draconic left path is to avoid entanglement.

The Eurmalic path is to get entangled as much as bloody possible! 

Know thy enemy. 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

The draconic left path is to avoid entanglement.

The Eurmalic path is to get entangled as much as bloody possible! 

Know thy enemy. 😛

Well, to clarify what I mean (because I'm being slightly serious when I say it), both agree that the world we see and experience is fundamentally an Illusion. The main difference - at least IMG - is that the draconic path is all about returning to the primordial "true" reality, while the trickster doesn't think things are any less meaningful just because they aren't the Truth, or at least that there isn't necessarily a real "Truth" to be found and so it's pointless to look for one.

• Like 3

I don't think Eurmal is a master of Dragon magic.  He is a dabbler in many things.  Eurmal learned what it would take to learn to speak Auld Wyrmish and learn Dragon Magic (ghastly operations).  He didn't much like the sound of that but was curious about what it would do to someone else, so he tricked them into it.  

Of course Dragons and Dragonewts think that everyone else were just dragonewts who strayed from the Draconic path so far they forgot who they truly are; even Eurmal.  Of course we all know the dragonewts are wrong and crazy, don't we?  The mere fact that dragonewts seem to behave like tricksters is just a coincidence.

• Haha 1

My understanding is that both the EWF and the Godlearners were Eurmali plots.  

12 hours ago, Leingod said:

Well, to clarify what I mean (because I'm being slightly serious when I say it), both agree that the world we see and experience is fundamentally an Illusion. The main difference - at least IMG - is that the draconic path is all about returning to the primordial "true" reality, while the trickster doesn't think things are any less meaningful just because they aren't the Truth, or at least that there isn't necessarily a real "Truth" to be found and so it's pointless to look for one.

Anyway, I largely agree with this.  I think the practical implication is that an Eurmali could duplicate most Draconic magic, but doesn't access the magic in the same way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Revilo Divad Of Dyoll said:

My understanding is that both the EWF and the Godlearners were Eurmali plots.  

Creation of Glorantha was...

4 hours ago, Revilo Divad Of Dyoll said:

Anyway, I largely agree with this.  I think the practical implication is that an Eurmali could duplicate most Draconic magic, but doesn't access the magic in the same way.

If a Eurmali does it, it will backfire on the user differently than on a draconic mystic. In a more amusing way, one can hope (although you have to agree, the Dragonkill was just a crack-up).

• Like 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis

14 hours ago, Darius West said:

I don't think Eurmal is a master of Dragon magic.  He is a dabbler in many things.  Eurmal learned what it would take to learn to speak Auld Wyrmish and learn Dragon Magic (ghastly operations).  He didn't much like the sound of that but was curious about what it would do to someone else, so he tricked them into it.  

Of course Dragons and Dragonewts think that everyone else were just dragonewts who strayed from the Draconic path so far they forgot who they truly are; even Eurmal.  Of course we all know the dragonewts are wrong and crazy, don't we?  The mere fact that dragonewts seem to behave like tricksters is just a coincidence.

New Eurmal Spell - Eurmal's Draconic Wisdom. Trickster takes on a luminous aura, and sits floating in the air. Functions as a continuous lie spell, everything the Trickster says is perceived as ultimate wisdom, until he repeats a word he has previously spoken or accidentally tells the truth, after which the glow is abruptly extinguished, the trickster falls to the ground with a thump, and the audience is left feeling like complete idiots. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

the only thing I imagine about a draconic eurmal is the explanation of the deviant dragons like dragonewt, wyrm, etc..

I don't see Eurmal in any form a good model of the "right action".

It is perfectly possible to see Eurmal as the model of right action if you don't know you are looking at Eurmal.  Charisma, Lie, and illusions spells are like that.  Also remember than many gurus are rascals who get you to do the wrong thing to educate you as to why the right path is important, and to teach you to have courage in the face of making mistakes.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Darius West said:

It is perfectly possible to see Eurmal as the model of right action if you don't know you are looking at Eurmal.  Charisma, Lie, and illusions spells are like that.  Also remember than many gurus are rascals who get you to do the wrong thing to educate you as to why the right path is important, and to teach you to have courage in the face of making mistakes.

Who are we to judge right action? We know Eurmal was instrumental in saving the world from the devil, therefore either on some level what Trickster does must be right action, or dragonewts are agents of chaos working to complete what the devil started. Is the continued existence of the cosmos wrong? If you believe that existence is right, yet you question the rightness of the actions of a god who helped save the Cosmos from dissolution, your questioning of the rightness of Eurmal is really just an expression of your cosmic ignorance and inability to embrace a higher level of consciousness.

Edited by EricW

6 hours ago, EricW said:

Who are we to judge right action? We know Eurmal was instrumental in saving the world from the devil, therefore either on some level what Trickster does must be right action, or dragonewts are agents of chaos working to complete what the devil started. Is the continued existence of the cosmos wrong? If you believe that existence is right, yet you question the rightness of the actions of a god who helped save the Cosmos from dissolution, your questioning of the rightness of Eurmal is really just an expression of your cosmic ignorance and inability to embrace a higher level of consciousness.

All lies... 😉

• Haha 1