A question about Cthulhu

Bygoneyrs

In my experience running CoC, sanity loss honestly isn't that big a deal to players - certainly not as scary as HP loss. If a PC has a good starting SAN, they'll rarely fail their checks, so they'll lose only a few points each time, and maybe none. Plus published scenarios tend to have rather generous sanity rewards.

I love CoC! At least in portioned amounts. The setting is solid and the support is great. I'm currently playing a character in the "Mask of Nyarlathotep" campaign. Formerly a stable cop, now a rather unstable sword and thompson wielding investigator wearing a 1st WW breastplate. Sanity is part of setting, but is rarely if ever the thing that kills a character. How deadly the game setting is depends on the GM, but yes, the mortality is somewhat higher than in a fantasy game. However, I've just gotten hold of the spell "Create Zombie", which I guess is almost like Resurrect? We'll see if a group member happens to die...

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I love CoC!

How about the spell Formula to Raise from Essential Salts, the failure of which which creates Ye Liveliest Awfulness (an inhuman monstrosity, a deformed, immortal beast bent on consuming flesh and blood).

"A person or animal can be resurrected from their essential salts. The target’s entire body has to be incinerated by alchemical processes into their essential salts. ... If any part of the corpse is missing the raising will not succeed and a hideous abomination may result."

See O.R.E. Nemesis for more details...

And that's all I have to say about that... :)

Edited by dragonewt

Wow now that is a awesome spell to give to players as part of a plot to have fun with. Well maybe the person to have fun would be only me but DM/GMs need to have some fun TOO<g>!!!

Penn

How about the spell Formula to Raise from Essential Salts, the failure of which which creates Ye Liveliest Awfulness (an inhuman monstrosity, a deformed, immortal beast bent on consuming flesh and blood).

"A person or animal can be resurrected from their essential salts. The target’s entire body has to be incinerated by alchemical processes into their essential salts. ... If any part of the corpse is missing the raising will not succeed and a hideous abomination may result."

See O.R.E. Nemesis for more details...

And that's all I have to say about that... :)

Old time RPGer of +34 yrs, player/DM/GM.

Well maybe the person to have fun would be only me but DM/GMs need to have some fun TOO!!!

Well, there it is. We have determined (with the input of GianniVacca and others) that the ultimate fantasy game will consist of: BRP + Classic Fantasy + Lords of Terror + The Book of Drastic Resolutions Volume Chaos + Malleus Monstrorum.

There will be plenty of Thanatari head hunting spells. And the only healing spell will be Formula to Raise from Essential Salts.

So... who wants to play in my game? :P

Edit: I almost forgot; there will be Charnjibbers... with lasers attached to their heads.

Edited by dragonewt