Augmenting Your Eyeballs With The Runequest Starter Set!

klecser

On 10/3/2021 at 9:20 PM, Shiningbrow said:

How do ships get to Minnesota???

😁

Whoops! I think I had two thoughts in my head and combined them when I wrote that. So ... garbled. That's my excuse and I'm standing by it! If only things could just be shipped via moonboat, it'd all make sense.....

5 hours ago, Susimetsa said:

I have a hard time adjusting to the idea that the Starter Set doesn't include the character generation rules (if I've understood it correctly). 😕 I guess I'm too old-fashioned in that sense...

It includes 14 pre-generated characters covering many of the basic cults, occupations, and homelands.  You can get play underway immediately and learn how to play the game and what RQG is all about.  It's a Starter Set not the full rules.

For creating your own character, that's where the RQG core book comes into play.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Susimetsa said:

I have a hard time adjusting to the idea that the Starter Set doesn't include the character generation rules (if I've understood it correctly). 😕 I guess I'm too old-fashioned in that sense...

I think the reason is that they don't want to have a character creation system that creates people that do not have any sense of community. And for that you need cultures, occupations, cult choices that go with those, and family background. That's a big page count. And runes, passions, honour, etc.

They could do a one-page character creation system, but then it would no longer be RQG.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I think the reason is that they don't want to have a character creation system that creates people that do not have any sense of community. ...

They could do a one-page character creation system, but then it would no longer be RQG.

A fair number of newcomers might actually be more comfortable with making characters who are unattached to a particular community. But that would (I agree) kinda undermine a big part of what makes RQG special.

One possible compromise would be to offer an abbreviated character creation system that was just for Sartar as a downloadable file. Have it include a very abbreviated history (how did you survive the Great Winter, etc.) and maybe a table of minor events that a PC dealt with as a kid. But that a) might still be too long, and b) cut too much into what the regular rulebook does.

2 minutes ago, Beoferret said:

One possible compromise would be to offer an abbreviated character creation system that was just for Sartar as a downloadable file. Have it include a very abbreviated history (how did you survive the Great Winter, etc.) and maybe a table of minor events that a PC dealt with as a kid. But that a) might still be too long, and b) cut too much into what the regular rulebook does.

Of course, this could be a free or charityware JC product.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Thanks for the answers! So it is basically a new and improved - and more expensive - version of the Quick Start rules, meant to be put aside when upgrading to the core book? Or a middle step between the Quick Start rules and the full rules?

I'm sorry for the daft questions. This has probably been explained somewhere. I was just confused when I read - on a local store page - that it "contains everything you need to play the world's best roleplaying game". 😕

1 hour ago, Susimetsa said:

Or a middle step between the Quick Start rules and the full rules?

This. According to the video, the rule book has around 60 pages. It doesn't have character creation, equipment (a few things are in the second book), some advanced combat options (but it has the disarm rules from Rune Fixes), and advanced magic (Rune Masters, sorcery has only a column, spirit world two pages). Skill and spell descriptions are very short.

The second book has some 20 pages of general information about the world and 40 pages on the setting of Northern Sartar and the city of Jonstown. The remaining two books have a solo adventure that teaches the rules (60 pages) and three other adventures (80 pages).

• Like 1