Ernalda the Queen?

DucksMustDie

It seems like queenship is an indivisible part of her identity. Orlanth earned the chieftainship but Ernalda was always the Queen, in fact the male right to rule derives from a relationship with her so she's the source of sovereignty. I think Ernalda already provides plenty of suitable magic for a ruler anyway. Arouse Passion, Bless Champion, Charisma. All good stuff for a leader. The Orlanth Rex magic is a bit unsubtle in comparison and I don't think it would be appropriate.

Edited by simonh
  • Like 2

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

4 hours ago, DucksMustDie said:

Suppose a tribe (or a city in Esrolia) elects a ruling queen who worships Ernalda. Would she join some special subcult of Ernalda, like Orlanth has Rex subcult? What kind of special rune spells would she have access to? Same kind as Orlanth Rex? Thanks 🙂

No, the ruling queen is High Priestess of the Ernalda cult. So in this case it's what the high priestess can access that is different, which is basically Peace from Three Bean Circus (Which is likely rare as TBC are based in Prax.)

Jeff clarifies here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, DucksMustDie said:

If an orlanthi king can command priests and worshipers, why not an ernaldan queen? Ruling queen, not some stupid barbarians consort 

If an Esrolian Queen can rule a certain way, why don't Sartarite kings? If a Yelmic Emperor can rule a certain way, why don't the Orlanthi?

If a woman wants to rule the same way that men do, they can become a Vingan.

Edited by simonh

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

3 minutes ago, DucksMustDie said:

Well, I'm not looking for ways for this possible queen to rule like men, especially like orlanthi men. Orlanthi are useless. They don't even make decent arrowfodder since they fly or teleport away when the going gets tough. I'm looking for an equal opportunity for her to command priests and worshipers

OK, but commanding priests and worshipers as per those spells is ruling like a man. I mean, how can they possibly think interfering with a priest's communion with their god is a good idea? It's that sort of authoritarian coercion that breeds resentment and rebellion.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DucksMustDie said:

Well, I'm not looking for ways for this possible queen to rule like men, especially like orlanthi men. Orlanthi are useless. They don't even make decent arrowfodder since they fly or teleport away when the going gets tough. I'm looking for an equal opportunity for her to command priests and worshipers

Her cult doesn't have that power. Even the Yelm cult doesn't have that power. And the Orlanth cult didn't have that power until the late Second Age when Alakoring Rex found a way to command priests and summon his worshipers. And that was likely only possible in the crucible of magical exploration and experimentation we call the EWF. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Even the Yelm cult doesn't have that power. 

I was wondering about that, after making my comment about ruling like a Yelmic Emperor I had a look at the Yelm cult and it's notably missing an Emperor subcult or obvious rulership type magic. I'm guessing that's because the cult writeup in RQG is mainly of the cult as it's worshiped in Dragon Pass? Or does Murharzarm have his own cult in Peloria?

Edited by simonh

2 minutes ago, simonh said:

I was wondering about that, after making my comment about ruling like a Yelmic Emperor I had a look at the Yelm cult and it's notably missing an Emperor subcult or obvious rulership type magic. I'm guessing that's because the cult writeup in RQG is mainly of the cult as it's worshiped in Dragon Pass? Or does Murharzarm have his own cult in Peloria?

There is a Yelm Imperator cult, but it lacks the magical power to command worshipers. All of his subjects must give complete submission but that's enforced through social power or cult spirits.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DucksMustDie said:

I'm looking for an equal opportunity for her to command priests and worshipers

orlanthi men are weak and emotional, they always obey their wives without any magic, they are just manipulated by the power behind the thrown. No spell, women bodies and food are enough.

They always argue with leader, to demonstrate how strong they are so the only way for a king to command others quickly is to use spell.

But Ernaldan have a lot of other ways and when they see their husbands showing strength, they consider it as a weakness demonstration.

Esrolian women are strong and  rational. They know that a queen is better than a king. They know what benefit they can gain, even from a queen they hate, and when they have opportunity to gain without obeying. Their leader just need to be smart enough to show that the best way is her way.

solar men are week, conservative and afraid, they always obey because their fathers did it, and for the most rebels, to not be killed by their leader's "justice".  Their leader just has to demonstrate he is the leader.

solar women are... nothing, so they stay home and hope for a barbarian king lover. And when they find him, they just understand how weak is this king. so they become red moon worshippers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simonh said:

If an Esrolian Queen can rule a certain way, why don't Sartarite kings?

You get some additional useful magic? But Orlanthi kingship is far older than the Rex (Alakoringite) system, so you could run just a Vingkotling kingship if you like. Presumably you have to be able to demonstrate your ancestry in this case, like King Broyan (whom I interpret as ruling through the Vingkot rather than the Rex system of kingship).

Edited by Akhôrahil