Project 4: Chronicles of the Future Earth

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it my browsers or is that picture incredibly dark?

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick, hi all,

Looks like I have some work to do! :D

The image on the Chronicles website was actually intended purely as a background placeholder image while we sorted out the cover - which is why it's dark. Now that things are moving at last I think I might have to start doing some updates!

BTW, Dustin does have a follow-on module for Chronicles which I believe may be more or less ready to go. After that, subject to demand, there may be campaign packs, sourcebooks, a players guide, etc :)

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

• 4 weeks later...

Very intriguing. I might have to pick this up.

The cover image, and the background description reminded me both of Barsoom and HPL's Dreamlands. Definitely pluses, in my book. (As a side-note: I'm halfway through A Princess of Mars, which is my introduction to Burroughs. Inspiring stuff).

I'm very tempted to run a John Carter-esque campaign, with 'travelers' from the 1920s or 30s 'crossing over' to a science fantasy world. I wonder if CoFE would do the trick?

I think everybody's right ;)

Can I throw "Zothique" into the mix too? And maybe a hint of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Hawkmoon, Lovecraft's Dreamlands, Tekumel, Byzantium, and Leigh Brackett? And, in a *very* bizarre way, the original Planet of the Apes movie? :P

• 1 month later...

Jeez! My POW is utterly overcome, I shall be buying this in a flash.. I adore this kind of fantasy (but with SF roots) stuff. I've wanted to get some of Sarah's work for a while (I didn't go for Starblazer so Mindjammer was a no no) so this is going to be my chance.

An excellent choice for Chaosium, it riffs off so many similar games from the past and yet also introduces new elements and new ideas and settings.

Done.. I am sold.:P

• 2 weeks later...

So, any details with regard to the rules you're supposed to use for the game? I like my BRP as light as possible (CoC is about as crunchy as it gets for me) so too much "crunch and clunk" might still turn me off this game, though the setting sounds excellent.

Hi Vorax,

I always assume everyone plays BRP their own way (I know I do), so there's no particular subset of rules you're 'supposed' to use. Instead, I've furnished things like stat blocks with all the extra bits you *might* need, with no expectation you'll actually use them. So, the stat blocks provide hit locations, strike ranks, fatigue points, *and* major wounds, for you to use or ignore as you see fit.

I guess the main exception to the above is the BRP Sorcery rules: they form the heart of the powers used by Urth's temples, so the book will be more readily usable if you use them.

Regarding complexity, though, IMHO you'll be fine using the 'Cthulhu subset' of the BRP rules :)

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I stumbled by Chaosium's site at lunch today and noticed some additions to the CoFE product listing. (At least, I don't remember seeing them before). Chaosium states that CoFE will be in stock on January 3rd. Also, there are a couple maps to view.

The regional map looks quite a bit like the Iberian Peninsula. Is "Future Earth" Spain-Portugal the main focus of CoFE?

I stopped by Chaosium last week and picked up a copy of CoFE. It's very nice looking, though I've not had time to digest it all. I'd describe it as sort of Gene Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun" mashed up with Moorcock's "Hawkmoon" stories. Looks very slick from what I've skimmed so far.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

The regional map looks quite a bit like the Iberian Peninsula. Is "Future Earth" Spain-Portugal the main focus of CoFE?

I was speaking with Sarah about the same thing a few days ago. It is indeed based on the geography of the Iberian Peninsula. However, the setting resembles modern Spain/Portugal about as much as modern California resembles paleolithic coastal dwelling communities. It's hundreds of thousands of years in the future, when our world isn't even a source of legend any more. Our world is nothing more than distant, ancestral memory.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

I stopped by Chaosium last week and picked up a copy of CoFE.

Can you actually stop by their office and buy stuff? Or was that by special arrangement? I'm in California for business a few times a year and would be cool to stop by.

I hope to be ordering my copy of CoFE tomorrow.

129/420

Can you actually stop by their office and buy stuff? Or was that by special arrangement? I'm in California for business a few times a year and would be cool to stop by.

I hope to be ordering my copy of CoFE tomorrow.

Zomben has special privileges in that regard. :)

SDLeary

I saw the maps. They made me want to know more.;D Besides, you can't read the legends on the city map. Good teaser, however I want to be teased again...the table of contents would do.

Speaking of which, they are apparently future Spain...and Cordova? I forget where Cordova is in modern times.

• 2 weeks later...