RuneQuest Starter set corrections thread

MOB

Pregen Folios

Aranda of Nochet.

How to Play Aranda, fifth bullet.  Stasis rune, not Status rune

Book One: Rules

p.9, right-hand column "Ties" The text says "A tie (where both participants succeed but roll the same number)" is inconsistent with the preceding section that states that the winner in an Opposed Resolution is the party that gets the "better type of success". This deviates from the RQG rulebook p.144 and leaves unanswered situations where:

• the participants achieve the same type of success but roll different numbers
  • the participants achieve the same type of success, which happens to be a failure

The text leaves undefined a number of outcomes that are not described by the solution set (which is different to that in the RQG rules).

Edited by Jason D

Book 4, Page 58, Trollkin Quarters, fifth bullet: "...15 L with the missing the Issaries figure'. Remove the second 'the'.

Book 4, Page 67, last sentence in first column: "...and the ay to the rock lisard nest (following). 'ay' should be 'way', and lizard is misspelled.

Edited by Jason D

Book 3 section 72: "This costs an additional Rune point ad requires its own roll."

The 'ad' should be 'and'. I also thought Extension was stacked with the original spell (Shield in this case), and thus was one roll to cast. Like it would be to cast 2 points of Shield. Does it actually require its own roll?

Book 3 section 170: There appears to be a single quote in front of 'Your blade is embedded in his side'.

Edited by Jason D

Book 1, p.6, right column, second paragraph:

With an increased chance of 30%, Sven rolls
confidently, and fails with a roll of 89. His argument is
unconvincing and he does achieve his desired goal. ...

I guess, the last sentence should read: "His argument is unconvincing and he does not achieve his desired goal."

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 1

Not so much corrections but observations.

Book 2, p.15 "Sex and Marriage", second para, the terms "vingan", "nandan" and "helering" aren't explained.

Book 2, p.22 "The Liberation of Sartar", second para, "To extend the Glowline..." This is the first time this term is used and there's nothing to tell an RQ Starter what the Glowline is.

Edited by Jason D
  • Helpful 1

Website version of the soloquest:

The main text refers to BRT (Battle Result Total).

The text for the tool below that refers to BRT (Battle Rating Tracker).

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

Regarding the new character sheet design in the starter set:

• The digital version is form fillable, but doesn't have functional checkboxes for skills like the standard character sheet.
  • Weapons got moved from the skills list to a unified table with skill % and weapon statistics, but that table doesn't have any checkboxes for tracking weapon skill progression

On 11/11/2021 at 5:32 AM, DreadDomain said:

Book 1 Rules

p.61 Two-Weapon Use.

The section starts with the old statement: "Wielding a one-handed weapon in each hand allows for two attacks, two parries, or one attack and one parry" which somewhat clashes with the multiple parry rule.

The revised sentence from the Well of Daliath had already resolved the issue "With two weapons, one in each hand you can attack with both (subject to strike ranks), and parry with both (though only 1 parry allowed per attack) and subsequent parries (in a combat round) are subject to the -20% cumulative penalty, regardless of which weapon is used to parry."

The end of the section states "An adventurer with a skill above 100% may perform multiple attacks in a round, if there are adequate strike ranks to perform such actions (see "Skills Over 100%, page 60)". The referred section do not explain how multiple attacks are performed. Perhaps you wanted to refer to "Multiple Actions, page 59" where the second bullet point mentions to multiple attacks in a round, skill over 100% and two weapon use.

p.59 Multiple Actions

This might be intended as a simplification but note that reading the Multiple Actions section, second and third bullets lead to believe that with a skill over 100% and enough SR to perform two attacks, the first attack would be unmodified and the second attack would suffer a -20% modifier (instead of both attacks at half skills as per RQG).   

Yes I agree the wording on two-weapon use is a little misleading in the Starter Set.

"Wielding a one-handed weapon in each hand allows for two attacks, two parries, or one attack and one parry" - RuneQuest Starter Set. Rule Book p61

The well of Daliath description is a better starting point:

“ With two weapons, one in each hand you can attack with both (subject to strike ranks), and parry with both (though only 1 parry allowed per attack) and subsequent parries (in a combat round) are subject to the -20% cumulative penalty, regardless of which weapon is used to parry.“  - Well of Daliath 

I’m no wordsmith but a succinct alternative to fit in with the existing text could be something like: 

'Wielding a one-handed weapon in each hand allows for two attacks (one with each weapon). Either weapon may be used to parry alternately if desired, following the standard parry rules.'

Or

'Wielding a one-handed weapon in each hand allows for two attacks (one with each weapon). Either weapon may be chosen to parry a single attack, following the standard parry rules.'

Or 

'Wielding a one-handed weapon in each hand allows for two attacks (one with each weapon). Either, but not both, weapons may be chosen to parry a single attack, following the standard parry rules.'

Or 

'Wielding a one-handed weapon in each hand allows for two attacks (one with each weapon). Either, but not both, weapons may be chosen to parry an attack. The -20% malleus for subsequent parries applies regardless of weapon used.

Edited by Jason D

Book 3, Section 71 (also in the online version of the Soloquest):

... Not only do you have fewer Rune points (3 Rune points compared to 24 total magic points) but they cannot be recovered without committed sacrifice and prayer.

The Pregen Folio for Vasana as well as her online character sheet for the online version of the Soloquest have 25 Magic Points marked.

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Richard S. said:

The blank character folio doesn't allow you to input a name. Not sure if that's really an error, but it would be nice to have.

Being able to edit "Name" to write your name and enable the check boxes would be essential I reckon. Would also need check boxes in the weapons section (under characteristics). That sheet is very nice

Book 1, p4

Last sentence of the page:

"The higher value of the characteristic, the better. These, in Attturn, influence and determine other aspects of the adventurer."

Should be "in turn".

Book 1, p61 under Thrown or Dropped Objects

"An adventurer can effectively throw an object if it weighs less than their STR in kilograms (see Falling, page 57). The damage fis the same, with any necessary alteration depending on the size of the object dropped."

This paragraph puzzled me as the paragraphs and bullet points just above explains clearly and succinctly how throwing object works. My first thought was that this sentence should be deleted to avoid confusion. However, because of the title of the section "Thrown and Dropped" and the reference to falling, maybe this is about dropping objects? If so:

- "can effectively throw" should be "can drop"

- "in kilograms" should be "in SIZ" as per the paragraph above

"fis" should be "is" 

"A large object hits 1D6 locations at once, doing the same damage to each, causing more total damage. If the object is flung downward, the half damage bonus is added. The weight of the object has little to do with the damage in this case."

The first part is quite clear. The last sentence in bold is puzzling and counterintuitive. I am sure there is a reason for this sentence but I cannot see it. Intuitively, I expect a large, heavy object dropped on me will do more damage than a large, light object. Delete for clarity perhaps?

"For every 3 kilograms an object weighs (round down), add 1D8 to the damage it does."

Is this suppose to be "for every 3 SIZ "? An additional 1d8 per 3 kilograms seems a bit excessing. Consider Cave Troll (STR 25) grabbing Adventurer (SIZ 13, 75kg) and throwinh him at her friend. Under this rule he could throw him 4 meters (impressive but not unbelievable or unbalancing) for a damage of whatever +25d8. 

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 1

Book 1 Rules. P27 Second bullet point: 

“A critical success does double maximum damage.”

Should this be “A critical success does double maximum damage, and ignores armor” ?

I understand there is streamlining here with the special damage for the starter set, but ignoring the effect of armour seems fairly fundamental to learning the concept of a critical hit in RQG. Should that not be included? 
edit: Also worth noting that the attack and parry tables in the starter set  do reference ‘ignores armor’ for critical hits.

Edited by Jason D

On 11/15/2021 at 9:24 PM, DreadDomain said:

"For every 3 kilograms an object weighs (round down), add 1D8 to the damage it does."

Is this suppose to be "for every 3 SIZ "? An additional 1d8 per 3 kilograms seems a bit excessing. Consider Cave Troll (STR 25) grabbing Adventurer (SIZ 13, 75kg) and throwinh him at her friend. Under this rule he could throw him 4 meters (impressive but not unbelievable or unbalancing) for a damage of whatever +25d8. 

It occured to me that this is not an edge case.  Boris (STR 16) grabs Bob (SIZ 13, 75kg) and throws him 1 meter at Barbara. He succeeds his DEXx5 roll. Barbara suffers 1d3+25d8 of damage...

• If the intent was "for every 3 SIZ add 1d8 to damage", she suffers 1d3+4d8
  • if the intent was "for every 3 STR in excess of SIZ add 1d8 damage", she suffers 1d3+1d8

Still a lot of damage...

Edited by Jason D

SoloQuest online, para 135:-

Spoiler

"Vasana’s Lightning Rune spell acts on strike rank 1 plus 1 for each additional Rune point spent [...]"

If I'm understanding the SRM table on RQG p193 correctly (and evidently opinions on this differ!), this should be SR 1 regardless of number of Rune Points spent (as opposed to additional magic points spent for any purpose).

"[...] but likely before Vostor attacks on strike rank 7."

Also this clause seems to be moot as Vasana's RPP is 3, and the adventure doesn't anticipate her doing anything else that would affect her SR, so even if my reading is wrong this would mean she's acting in SR 2 or 3.  Unless she melee attacks first and then invokes Shield, perhaps.

• Like 1

SoloQuest online, para 72:-

Spoiler

"If you fumble, the spell is not cast, time passes, and the magic points are lost."

This is logical, and consistent with how Rune Points work, and how magic points with sorcery work, but isn't per RQG p254, and I can't find any correction or clarification anywhere.  Is this an addition or change as of the RQSB?

Book 3: SoloQuest, page ii (pdf version, paper version not received yet)

I guess Mark Smylie should be listed in the Artists list for the book:

ARTISTS: Andrey Fetisov, Jon Hodgson, Kalin Kadiev, Roman Kisyov, Michelle Lockamy, Loïc Muzy, Jan Pospisil, Scott Purdy, Naomi Robinson, Simon Roy, and Chris Waller

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 1

All four books, page ii (copyright page)(PDF as well as printed version):

EDITORIAL CONSULTING AND ADDITIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS: Michael O’Brien,
Nick Brooke, Jean-Christophe Cubertafon, Jonathan Geere, Martin Helsden, David Larkins, James Lowder, Rick
Meints, Diana Probst, Neil Robinson, David Scott, and Gianni Vacca

(red emphasis mine)

I may be completely wrong, and this is indeed a completely different person, but my immediate guess would be, that this is Martin Helsdon aka @M Helsdon, the author of Armies and Enemies of Dragon Pass.

Edited by Jason D

Book 3: Soloquest - entry 135.

"Next, roll  POW against  POW. Refer to the Resistance Table in Book 1: Rules (page 10) for more information. Roll 1D100. You must roll equal to 45% or lower. "

Both  have a POW of 15, so it should be 50% or lower (as per page 10 of the QS rule book!)

Given I just rolled a 48 (after having my broadsword shattered) this was very important!

Edited by Jason D
[spoilers] 

Book 2, page 12, second column. 

"An adventurer’s kinfolk support them against enemies, pay their ransom them if they are captured, and avenge them when injured." There is an extraneous 'them' in the middle of the sentence. Or you could say "..., ransom them if they are captured,..."

Edited by Jason D

Book 2, page 16, second column.

"Others consider Sartarites to be quarrelsome, reckless, and
fiercely independent. Most are devoted to Orlanth and Ernalda
and hate the Lunar Empire with a burning passion."

The order of these two sentences would make more sense swapped. In the current order, the 'Most' implies most of the 'Others' are devoted to Orlanth and Ernalda and hate the Lunar Empire with a burning passion. But I expect the 'Most' should apply to Sartarites.

Edited by Jason D

Book 2,

pp.44-52

• each Quarter of the city details locations that aren't indicated on the map e.g. Dinacoli House, Ruined Barracks, The Three Suns.

pp.46-47

• The text lists residences for six Sartarite tribes of which four are in use and two not (Maboder and Dinacoli). This seems to tally with p.25 which states "a confederation of four (originally six) Sartarite tribes." But, one of the residences is for the Dinacoli who AFAICT did not join the founding of Jonstown and were/are part of the Alda Chur city Ring (see WF15, p.32). The book doesn't state which the sixth founding tribe was, alongside the Cinsina, Culbrea, Malani, Torkani and Maboder (perhaps I missed it though?)

p.51 Market, North

• third line, staples, not stapes

pp.57-61 Map locations

• Clay Man: the map places it north of Jonstown. p.15 of Book 4 places it west, on the route to Mernyr's Landing at the base of Larnste's table. "A Rough Landing" might be confusing Clay Man with Frithan?
  • Farfield: the Northern Sartar map calls this Farveiw
  • Gejay Hills: description seems off. According to the map on p.26 the Gejay Hills bisect Malani lands rather than separating Malani from Colymar lands. The same might be true of Stael's Hills too. But... Sartarite tribes... this could be true next season 🙂.
  • Horse Rest: description states its belongs to the Culbrea tribe, p.26 places it inside Cinsina territory.
Edited by Jason D

book 4

page 54.

'The far walls are a garish
array of colors—sulfuric yellow-gold, coppery orange-brown,
verdigrised green, and shot through with veins of bluish gray.'

which is what the map shows, but 2 paragraphs later,

'A grey band of rock runs from this dim cavern mouth,
across the cavern vault, to the tip of the ledge leading to the
Twisting Tunnel, thereby separating the orange limestone
from the off-white rock'

which is the same description as the one in the RQ2 apple lane book

Edited by Jason D

On 11/20/2021 at 11:36 PM, 7Tigers said:

Are the Starter Set rules supposed to replace Core Rules when different?
Ex: p.60, skills are supposed to be natural & unmodified > 100% for lowering other people skills now.

p.202:

Splitting Attacks
An adventurer may split attacks if and only if each attack is
50% or higher. Thus, an adventurer can only split attacks
with a natural skill rating of 100% or higher with the weapon
(magical benefits or augments that bring a skill over 100%
do not count in this case).

It was ever thus.

*Edit* Oops, that's splitting attacks.

Example on page 171:

Vishi’s unmodified Spirit Combat skill is 95%, and Yanioth’s augment
pushes it to a robust 125%, a near-certain victory—though of
course, any roll of 96–00 is still a failure. Vishi will even be
able to use the percentiles of the skill above 100% to reduce the
attacking spirit’s Spirit Combat skill, reducing its chances of
success by –25%.

So yes, the starter set contradicts this. I'm pretty sure that this isn't a deliberate "Official Change To The Rules", for whatever that would be worth!

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 2