RuneQuest Starter set corrections thread

MOB

Nathem's Folio:

• Fertility should be 35, not 45 (Death is 65)
  • It's also possible that his left arm AP should be 4, not 3 depending on whether his leather hunting garb covers that location as well as the cuirboilli bracer
Edited by Jason D
removed an item that is already in Well of Daliath

On 12/21/2021 at 12:31 PM, RandomNumber said:

Nathem's Folio:

• Fertility should be 35, not 45 (Death is 65)

Actually, that's a question...  35/65 or 45/55 ?
But 45/65 is clearly wrong/impossible.

Edited by Jason D

C'es ne pas un .sig

Book 2, p.33

Orngerin has the Spirit rune 60%.

Based on previous discussions, he shouldn't have this form rune.

... although, i'd like to see a broader view in using this rune. Or giving a possibility to use it as a condition rune or something like that for shamans etc.

Edited by Jason D

Not sure if this as been reported.

Book 1 p. 29  Natural Healing: "As a location recovers lost hit points, the level of injury improves and the speed of healing increases."

The bolded part is not in the core book and is incorrect. the speed of healing does not increase. The core book mentions instead "...and any penalties for being incapacitated are adjusted based on the new state" which is correct.

I suggest to keep the original wording.

Edited by Jason D

Missing Grapple and Fist skills on character folios and definition in Rules book.

I am prepping for running the Rough Landing scenario, and have noticed some key information is missing…

Spoiler

In dealing with the trolls at the North Market, options suggested are to attack with Grapple or Fist (Book4, p8, col2, para1). This does indeed seem the best option if a fight breaks out, and one I'd hope my players lean towards, realising bearing arms in the city would be frowned upon (something their characters would know).

Only two of the character folios list the Grapple skill and none Fist. Though there are grapple rules in the rulebook, it does not have it listed under skills and there is no information on how to calculate it. Likewise, Fist as a skill or weapon is not mentioned anywhere.

It actually took me a bit of rummaging in the Core Rule book to find the info I needed. Grapple is not explicitly listed in skills there either, you find it on the Unarmed Attacks weapon table (Core p208) and in the skills list (Core p61). Being a weapon it counts as a Manipulation skill, thus that modifier is applied to the 25% base. Similarly, Fist info is on the same pages. They are only defined as hand-to-hand weapons Core p207).

Seems these Natural Weapons/Unarmed Attacks could do with some clarification in both sets of rules, perhaps an explicit entry in the skills chapter.

Edited by Jason D

Yanioth's character folio, background, para 3: " Now I travel with Vasana, following the path my goddess has set before me."

Now there are 14 PCs to choose from she might not be travelling with Vasana, in which case that sentence hangs a little oddly.

Edited by Jason D

Character Folios missing key skills.

It came up in play that the Listen skill wasn't on Aranda's folio. Examination shows that some commonly used skills are not on a lot of the folios. I would guess that skills at base value have been left off to save space. Problem is that there's no list of base skill values in the Starter Set, the individual skills have to be found in the rulebook to determine their base value. Also, players new to the system may not be aware that there is a potentially useful skill they can have a punt at. There is space for these skills on all but Vishi's folio.

I've mentioned Listen, but also notable in absence are Climb, Jump, Search, Conceal and Sleight, and some don't have all three key comms styles: Charm/Fast Talk/Intimidate. 

Whilst I'm sure there's a difference of opinion over what the most used common skills are, and it can be argued comms styles indicate the character's style, these will come up in play and should be to hand. It was bit of a facepalm moment for my player when he found Listen wasn't on his folio. When you're trying to introduce newbies to a system, such things a good impression do not make.

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 2

Book4, p15, col 1, para 4

"It's better for either Jonstown to know what is happening than for someone to die needlessly."  'either' is not needed. 

Book 4, p17, Mineste's Farm entry

Spoiler

We get info on what's found here and then, when we turn the page, we suddenly find there are scorpion men present: "If the adventurers have come in quietly, the scorpion men in this room are caught off-guard." What scorpion men? They haven't been mentioned so far and would be the first thing to catch the players' attention.

Apparently, "The scorpion men keep their captives in the main hall and within the basement below." But the basement below is, "home to the krashtkid", so I doubt any captives placed there would last long. Indeed the scorpion men do feed captives to it occasionally. More logically, captives are only moved into the basement to feed it. 

We are also told that, "All but one of the residents are captives…or dead." OK, but what's happened to the one that got away? I find no mention of them. Maybe you mean the little girl in the haystack, but residents contextually here applies to the temple folk.

I feel this building needs more attention: a plan would be useful, especially as there's a chance of a fight here, assuming scorpion men are indeed present. There's an upstairs and a cellar, clearly, but we have an indication ("…with smaller sub-chambers.") there's other rooms they've converted from temple use to home use. 

An experienced GM will work around these inconsistencies, but this is a Starter Set after all. Even with experience, I'd rather apply my mental energy to embellishing rather than ironing out. 

Edited by Jason D

On 12/8/2021 at 8:33 PM, Cloud64 said:

I see that corrected on the folio's I have.  My bad - it's in the last bullet point which is covered by my correction below.

The other issue with Harmast is regarding him not being a particularly good rider. He has 40% which seems adequate as it matches, for example, Vishi Dunn who has no such caveat re his riding ability. I suspect what should replace that whole bullet is this line from the core rules char sheet: 

Harmast rides a Praxian zebra (and has a second), and must dismount to fight, as neither has been trained to be steady in combat. Each has MOV 12. Characteristics are not needed.

That's what I've replaced it with for my player whose chosen Harmast.

Keep in mind that Harmast has a Broadsword skill of 100%. His Ride skill is 40%. 

When he wants to fight on horse/zebra-back, his combat skill is limited to his Ride skill. 

If I were playing him, I would dismount. 

Vishi's Ride skill was a copy-paste error during layout (these folios went through a lot of iterations), and should be 65%. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 11/17/2021 at 10:12 PM, Scornado said:

CHA4035 North Sartar Map - what I assume is the village of Farfield east of Fair Jowl appears on the map as Farview.  Is that an error or an alternative name?

The map is correct, the text has been adjusted. 

Thanks for all the feedback.

Everything up to 1/22/22 that was implementable has been implemented and the files have been sent to the printer for a reprint. 

In some cases, all I could do is note the suggestion and move on. 

I have prepared a .pdf of game-related corrections and will be posting it here in the next few days. 

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 7

11 hours ago, Jason D said:

Thanks for all the feedback.

Everything up to 1/22/22 that was implementable has been implemented and the files have been sent to the printer for a reprint. 

Reprint? Already!?

11 hours ago, Jason D said:

In some cases, all I could do is note the suggestion and move on. 

I have prepared a .pdf of game-related corrections and will be posting it here in the next few days. 

Are you talking about a pdf akin to a Rune Fixes?

1 hour ago, Jason D said:

Here's the current .pdf of corrections. Note that this is not every typo or grammatical/consistency error. These are just the fixes for things that might hinder gameplay in some fashion or cause some confusion. 

Please let me know if you see anything still incorrect. 

RQ Starter Set Corrections.pdf 681.68 kB · 7 downloads

Thanks for this.

Two things:

• p25 Some “Attack and Parry results” differ from the core rules. It doesn’t seem to be for streamlining purposes in the starter set. Is this intentional? 

• p61 Two Weapon Use - “wielding a one handed weapon in each hand allows for two attacks, two parries, or one attack and one parry”  - I still question this. This for me doesn’t make 100% sense in the context of the RQG rules, I still feel it needs rewording. Read directly It implies a limit on the number of parries. Where as in the RQG rules the only limit is the accumulative -20% penalty for every parry after the first. To interpret it as intended the reader needs to do a bit of a mental flip to remember the parry rules don’t work the same as the attack rules , which feels a bit awkward for a starter set and the intended audience. Perhaps it’s just me though? Is this open to misinterpretation? 

Edit: regrading my second bullet point, I’m sure there is a very clear explanation for this rule in the Well of Daliath. Here it is:

“With two weapons, one in each hand you can attack with both (subject to strike ranks), and parry with both (though only 1 parry allowed per attack) and subsequent parries (in a combat round) are subject to the -20% cumulative penalty, regardless of which weapon is used to parry.” - Well of Daliath 

Alternatively you could take this approach:

’The only exception to parrying with two weapons is that you must decide which weapon leads the parry, and is open to any potential damage. Otherwise it follows the standard parry rules.’

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp