RuneQuest Starter set corrections thread

MOB

On 1/31/2022 at 12:28 PM, Jason D said:

Here's the current .pdf of corrections. Note that this is not every typo or grammatical/consistency error. These are just the fixes for things that might hinder gameplay in some fashion or cause some confusion. 

Please let me know if you see anything still incorrect. 

Remember that one of Varakos's runes at the top of the sheet is incorrect, he has Harmony instead of Truth.

On 1/31/2022 at 10:28 PM, Jason D said:

Here's the current .pdf of corrections. Note that this is not every typo or grammatical/consistency error. These are just the fixes for things that might hinder gameplay in some fashion or cause some confusion. 

Please let me know if you see anything still incorrect. 

RQ Starter Set Corrections.pdf 681.68 kB · 28 downloads

Thanks Jason, greatly appreciated. I suppose udated PDF files will be available shortly?

Will the reprinted Starter Set take a leaf from the CoC Starter Set reprint and have thicker paper for the booklet covers? 

On 1/31/2022 at 11:13 PM, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

• p25 Some “Attack and Parry results” differ from the core rules. It doesn’t seem to be for streamlining purposes in the starter set. Is this intentional? 

I agree with this comment. The difference between the two tables doesn't make any easier to learn and it is confusing at best (I don't have a preference between one or another but should be the same). Perhaps the idea was to make critical results slightly less lethal?

On 1/31/2022 at 11:13 PM, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

• p61 Two Weapon Use - “wielding a one handed weapon in each hand allows for two attacks, two parries, or one attack and one parry”  - I still question this. This for me doesn’t make 100% sense in the context of the RQG rules, I still feel it needs rewording. Read directly It implies a limit on the number of parries. Where as in the RQG rules the only limit is the accumulative -20% penalty for every parry after the first. To interpret it as intended the reader needs to do a bit of a mental flip to remember the parry rules don’t work the same as the attack rules , which feels a bit awkward for a starter set and the intended audience. Perhaps it’s just me though? Is this open to misinterpretation? 

Edit: regrading my second bullet point, I’m sure there is a very clear explanation for this rule in the Well of Daliath. Here it is:

“With two weapons, one in each hand you can attack with both (subject to strike ranks), and parry with both (though only 1 parry allowed per attack) and subsequent parries (in a combat round) are subject to the -20% cumulative penalty, regardless of which weapon is used to parry.” - Well of Daliath 

I also agree with this. I was surprised to see the official errata was not used in this matter. The Well of Daliath text is much clearer here.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2022 at 1:28 PM, Jason D said:

I bought the Starter Set from Chaosium site. Will the .pdf be updated ?

I see the Wiki has been updated.  in the "Thrown or Dropped Objects" section, right after the bullet points, it reads: 

"An adventurer can effectively throw an object if it weighs less than their STR in kilograms (see Falling)."

To be consistent with the rest of the section, it should be "STR in SIZ".

"The damage fis the same, with any necessary alteration depending on the size of the object dropped."

fis should be is

• Confused 1

On 2/3/2022 at 10:55 PM, DreadDomain said:

Thanks Jason, greatly appreciated. I suppose udated PDF files will be available shortly?

Will the reprinted Starter Set take a leaf from the CoC Starter Set reprint and have thicker paper for the booklet covers? 

I've been updating it a bit. I realize I left some stuff off, as it came through channels other than this topic thread. 

I don't have any control over the paper quality, as that's utterly outside my control. 

19 hours ago, Jason D said:

I've been updating it a bit. I realize I left some stuff off, as it came through channels other than this topic thread. 

No worries, hopefully there is still time to sneak a few more corrections before the reprint.

19 hours ago, Jason D said:

I don't have any control over the paper quality, as that's utterly outside my control. 

Whot? And there I thought you were all-powerful! 😉

Speaking of changes, @Ryan Kent and @PhilHibbs made a good point in the wiki thread. The rules about distributing (Book 1, p60, Skill Over 100%, last bit) is fairly difficult to implement and it feels like it over complicates things unnecessarily, even more so for a Starter Set. 

On 2/5/2022 at 9:26 AM, Ryan Kent said:

If against multiple competitors or opponents, the penalty must be distributed amongst the opponents as determined by the player, so an adventurer with a 125% could reduce two opponents’ skills by an amount totaling 25%, whether –20% to one and –5% to the other, –13% and –12%, or –25% and –0%.

13 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

The problem with the rule is you don't really know at the start of the round how many attacks might be coming in, so you don't know how to distribute the points. Parries are reactive, you decide as and when the attack happens whether or not to parry. Even if you do all declarations up front, the person who declared an attack might be dead before they get to roll so you might waste most of your reduction points on them.

Edited by DreadDomain

On 2/3/2022 at 10:55 PM, DreadDomain said:

I am informed that yes, the reprint covers will be of sturdier stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Book 3 Solo Quest. P32

No. 96 - Text says “You swing down from Molon and take up a defensive position”.

The problem is I was compromised in the abdomen in the last encounter…I know stupid right? Trying to be heroic!
Ordinarily at - 4 hps in the abdomen I’d be unconscious and loosing hitpoints after losing twice the hitpoints in that location, but these simplified rules allow me to carry on for Sartar…I thought I should.

I guess I play through this scene on the floor prone after dismounting? With the modifiers that entails. I know I’m an idiot…I’ll have to crawl my way through the rest of the battle 😂

Retracing my steps to the previous no 79 on p28,  I had several options including healing. I could perform a maximum of two of the options. I chose to go straight to Kallyr on my bison. I think the issue here for me is that:

• once you go to seek out kallyr you can’t go back to perform the second choice at No79, p28.

My stupidity aside, I now have to achieve taxing rest of the adventure crawling because I chose to charge to kallyrs aid instead of healing myself.

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp

(n.b. bold-italic emphasis added by me)

On 1/27/2022 at 1:29 AM, Jason D said:

Thanks for all the feedback.

Everything up to 1/22/22 that was implementable has been implemented and the files have been sent to the printer for a reprint. 

In some cases, all I could do is note the suggestion and move on. 

I have prepared a .pdf of game-related corrections and will be posting it here in the next few days. 

Excellent news!  TYVM!!!

Now:  how can I get one of the new reprints, and be sure I am not getting one of the last few 1st-printing copies?

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 3 weeks later...

Starter Set Book 4 page 27:

"...but any successful attempt at healing (magic, First Aid, or Medicine)..."

What is Medicine in this context? It appears from the bolding that it should be a skill called Medicine, but there is none I could find.

In the skill Alchemy, you can make medicines, but that is specific to a disease it cures (RQ: RiG, page 175). I suppose it could be using the spell Refine Medicine to turn healing plants you already located via Plant Lore (RBoM page 72) to "8-10 Wounds" so they can be used on Markal. That would be easier to mention as a healing potion (such as the one in RiG page 83, roll of 13). And such potions would easily full under 'magic'.

Hence 'or Medicine' seems to be an error. I suggest "...but any successful attempt at healing (magic or First Aid)..." or "...but any successful attempt at healing (magic, First Aid, or healing potions/plants)..."

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much a correction, but...

In the Soloquest, I don't get why there's not an Opposed test between V's Honor and Hate at 128, because it would be extremely appropriate at this point.... This seems especially valid as many wouldn't try for the swimming earlier, and thus get this option then.