Binding genus loci spirits

Shiningbrow

As genius loci literally means spirit of place. I would say the binding does not override the loci connection. However I would allow ingenious players to work around this by making the binding item's material to be part of their loci (wood from their tree, bag of local earth, skin of water), and/or add a condition on the binding of "feels like home". It's even possible that a friendly spirit has a wanderlust and wants to be bound.

• Like 4

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

from my perspective yes

and I would create an ambiance like "maybe you do this thing to save people or bring wealth, but in fact you are bringing death to the nature"

so yes you suceed to bind the dryad, but you will feel day after day her suffer, and one day she will die, and this day you will be cursed not only by the elves (they have been looking for you since the first day) but by all the earth pantheon, as you are their kin munderer

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, David Scott said:

As genius loci literally means spirit of place. I would say the binding does not override the loci connection. However I would allow ingenious players to work around this by making the binding item's material to be part of their loci (wood from their tree, bag of local earth, skin of water), and/or add a condition on the binding of "feels like home". It's even possible that a friendly spirit has a wanderlust and wants to be bound.

So you are telling me that i could break a branch of a dryads tree, and then bind her into that branch, which will be part of her genius loci, so that i would have a transportable dryad with me all the time (with all "benefits" that this might get me)?

Sounds to powerful to me. 
It SHOULD be possible to make, but IMHO it should not be easy to do this.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

So you are telling me that i could break a branch of a dryads tree, and then bind her into that branch, which will be part of her genius loci, so that i would have a transportable dryad with me all the time (with all "benefits" that this might get me)?

Sure, why not. It's MGF all the way. (I wasn't suggesting breaking the tree, removing a ritually prepared part would be good)

Of course it is. Just preparing the binding will cost at least 7 POW. Then you need to learn the control (Dryad) from Aldrya...

I never said it was easy, but it's likely part of a whole story arc itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

6 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

I'd think you'd need to keep the branch alive... That may mean grafting it onto a smaller potted plant (at that size, the branch is likely a twig 🙄 ) and hauling the whole thing around -- maybe a bonsai plant with a twig grafted onto it.

Judge the health of the dryad by the health of the branch?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

I'd think you'd need to keep the branch alive... That may mean grafting it onto a smaller potted plant (at that size, the branch is likely a twig 🙄 ) and hauling the whole thing around -- maybe a bonsai plant with a twig grafted onto it.

Bonsai dryad... nice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, David Scott said:

Crystals don't need preparing. You just need the right control / command spell.

I'm fully aware.

I'm referring to the losing 1 mp/20m bit...

And, if you're saying one should need a branch from the tree for a dryad, what about the other nymphs?  A bit of water? What about forestry for oreads? And for hags??

2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

And, if you're saying one should need a branch from the tree for a dryad, what about the other nymphs?  A bit of water? What about forestry for oreads? And for hags??

It would be fair to say that doing this for any of the genius loci won't be straight forward or easy. So for nymphs you'd need some water from their river / stream, for oreads, a piece of rock or a bag of dirt, hags, I assume you mean voughs - the same as nymphs.

As for the quantity, the more, the better.

• Like 1

-----

5 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

"I am Groot!"

Edited by Oracle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Remember: Don't drink the water!

Hmm, could a nymph possess the one who drinks the water sustaining it?

Edited by Baron Wulfraed

12 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

But putting a dryad into a crystal instead of a part of her tree would mean to lose the genins loci connection, am i right?

That's what I'm getting at.. 

If we take @David Scotts idea that you still need at least a bit of it's home, then it would make sense that you could snap a twig off a tree (ok, make a cutting iof it!), or grab a flask of it's water... And have those In your backpack.

However, I'm not sure that the connection isn't somehow - even temporarily - overridden by the binding. Crystals are the blood of the gods. (Anyone have a source for coloured crystals indicating which gods??)

On 10/9/2021 at 3:00 PM, Shiningbrow said:

If one captures, say, a nymph, does the binding override the loci connection? Or would the nymph still lose that 1 mp/20m distance?

The answer is basically no.  The binding enchantment becomes the new loci connection.

On 10/9/2021 at 7:34 PM, David Scott said:

This is great stuff David, but consider that a Zzaburi or Vadeli may wish to torture the spirit for being a pagan entity, in which case they may deliberately encase them in materials that the spirit doesn't like, to break its will and force its total obedience.

• Like 1