Best BRP-type game for Not Super Crunchy but Could Be Used for WFRP or Colonial Gothic or 30 Years War?

Archivist

8 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

The two Investigator Weapons books for CoC also would help quite a bit, especially the one for modern weapons. They have some optional rules for adjusting rate of fire, reflex sights, combat tactics and other minutia. Just the sort of stuff you'd want for a military or special ops game.

5 hours ago, svensson said:

And that would pair up with Delta Green pretty well too.

Yes, but for your T2K, the way automatic weapons and suppression fire work are much more streamlined in the newer version of DG. If you play the older version then the Investigator Weapons can be useful!

SDLeary

5 hours ago, svensson said:

And that would pair up with Delta Green pretty well too.

Definitely. After all Delta Green is CoC as viewed through a military organization. Just the sort of folk who would be interested in firearms.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

For a low crunch alternative, I think the best option is Magic World. It tries to remain simple, and is derived from a game based in a grim setting.

You could use Rd100 for such a game, if you manage to fine tune the crunch factor, but I would rather recommend that you start with the Shade Land supplement. It is a high magic world, full of dark and secretive cults, and even has a variant Corruption system called Change. Not so different from the WHFRP concept.

• Like 2

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2021 at 8:12 AM, Questbird said:

Also if you aren't limiting yourself to BRP but want a WFRP alternative you could check out Warlock! by Fire Ruby games. It has the careers and d100-like skills, plus its own magic system that you could investigate for your needs.

Thank you!

I got hold of Warlock! due to your recommendation, including the gorgeous limited Black Edition, and it’s brilliant. I’ve bought other expansions too. 

It’s definitely up there with MW for me. 

• Like 1

Another option is "Zweihander"

ZWEIHANDER Grim & Perilous RPG: Revised Core Rulebook: Fox, Daniel D.: 9781524851668: Amazon.com: Books

It was written specifically as d100 version of WFRP ( when 3rd Edition WFRP was in decline )

I can't comment too much on it since I haven't played it but it has careers, chaos/corruption, talents to acquire from race or progression,  divine magic and arcane magic, and some reskinned monsters ( the "Skrzzak" are the "Skaven" ).

There's an expansion supplement with more careers, weapons, magic, advice.

19 hours ago, groovyclam said:

Another option is "Zweihander"

ZWEIHANDER Grim & Perilous RPG: Revised Core Rulebook: Fox, Daniel D.: 9781524851668: Amazon.com: Books

It was written specifically as d100 version of WFRP ( when 3rd Edition WFRP was in decline )

I can't comment too much on it since I haven't played it but it has careers, chaos/corruption, talents to acquire from race or progression,  divine magic and arcane magic, and some reskinned monsters ( the "Skrzzak" are the "Skaven" ).

There's an expansion supplement with more careers, weapons, magic, advice.

I have that. In fairness, I couldn’t get through the whole book. It’s just huge, and it has an odd and very non-homage wound system, which was a strange decision. I gave up on it. It’s a very complex WFRP in an enormous book. Truly HUGE. 

It sits on a straining shelf and it shall never be opened again. 🙂 

But maybe it would suit some people. Definitely not me.

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2021 at 9:34 PM, g33k said:

Use *ANY* monster, from *ANY* of the different games... and your players will never notice anything amiss.

Agreed...with caveats.  The one most likely to notice any difference is the GM, who might be surprised that the threat posed by a creature in one version of the rules may not carry over with the same effect to another.  Do your homework and understand if variant rules allow unintended work-arounds to a creature's threat, or impose other threats that weren't anticipated.  Adjust accordingly.  Otherwise, yes, the chassis and engine are instantly recognisable.

!i!

• Like 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green