Out Now! The RuneQuest Starter Set: Magic, Myth, and Might in a Box!

MOB

banner-rq-starter-out.png

– Magic, Myth, and Might in a Box! –

Great news! The RuneQuest Starter Set is now out in release world-wide, available to order from all five Chaosium fulfilment warehouses: USA, EU, AUS, CAN and UK.

7a03e23a-065f-429f-949e-311e3c45c56b.png

USD$29.99 — Remember that you also get the PDF when purchasing the physical copy direct from Chaosium.com.

The RuneQuest Starter Set contains everything you need to play an epic roleplaying game of gods, cults, magic, family, and fantasy! 

In RuneQuest, everyone uses spells and anyone can be a warrior. The gods provide powers to their mortal worshipers, and can intercede on their behalf. Each RuneQuest adventurer is unique, defined by their Runes, culture, and cult—all chosen by the player.

bd261f20-2527-e1a9-81fd-d9db3fbaa227.png

The RuneQuest Starter Set also includes these free downloadable materials to enhance your play experience:

screen-shot-2021-11-10-at-7.01.29-pm.png

Edited by MOB
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7

• MOB featured and pinned this topic

I'd buy if I could. When I try to pay, by whatever method, I get this msg, "Something has gone wrong! There was an error placing your order. Please contact us."

Occurs on multiple devices, VPN on or off, suggesting it's a problem Chaosium end. I am logged into my Chaosium account at the time. UK customer. MacOS and iOS, Safari browser. Never had a problem before.

Edit: Have contacted customer services and received response. Not sorted yet though, but am getting emails from Chaosium asking me to complete my order.

Edited by Cloud64

1 hour ago, Cloud64 said:

I'd buy if I could. When I try to pay, by whatever method, I get this msg, "Something has gone wrong! There was an error placing your order. Please contact us."

Occurs on multiple devices, VPN on or off, suggesting it's a problem Chaosium end. I am logged into my Chaosium account at the time. UK customer. MacOS and iOS, Safari browser. Never had a problem before.

Same here. But at the end when accept Paypal, my purchase is on stand by or pending. I've sent a mail to Chaosium but still don´t have an answer. Then I have the purchase on Paypal but I can´t proceed with my order U_U

Couldn’t resist! 

Wallet made for a last gasp use of the resistance table to resist purchase…the very reasonable price and U.K. postage already had a plus 60% in the starter sets favour. That was before the many other pluses due to outstanding contents.  Wallet was crushed in the stampede 🤣

What a great set. Looking forward to receiving the physical and playing through the solo. Will have to get my GM hat on for this.

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp

2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Huh, still no email yet, so much for signing up to be the first to know! 😜

As someone who used to work at a company that provided a marketing email service (think MailChimp but no where near as good) there could be many many many reasons for not receiving a marketing email and only a small percentage of those would be because of something Chaosium did.

Around 10 years ago when Black Friday started to be a thing over here we got massively caught out by demand on the system and emailed advertising a start of sale at 9am didn't go out for 2-3 days.... That was a fun mess to deal with let me tell you.

3 hours ago, Urhizen said:

Same here. But at the end when accept Paypal, my purchase is on stand by or pending. I've sent a mail to Chaosium but still don´t have an answer. Then I have the purchase on Paypal but I can´t proceed with my order U_U

UPGRADE: All solved. Thank you Chaosium!

50 minutes ago, Urhizen said:

UPGRADE: All solved. Thank you Chaosium!

Still broken for me 😢 After initial, and prompt, Chaosium customer services response have heard nothing more.

Edit: Hurrah! Finally managed to complete the order process. Not sure what changed, but something must've.

Edited by Cloud64

39 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

And on that issue, can anyone tell me how the Brick and Mortar thang works? @MOB? My local is where I will be being mine, so it will be needed info.

If your FLGS is a participant in Bits & Mortar, you get a download code from the shop. Otherwise direct them to https://www.bits-and-mortar.com and they can sign up there. We don't do anything except supply Bits and Mortar with the PDFs.

The https://www.bits-and-mortar.com website gives you all the info you need if you are a shop, customer or publisher. There's even a directory to find participating stores.

• Helpful 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2021 at 9:19 PM, Scornado said:

I expect only 40% of the starter set to be useful for an established campaign or group but at that price its' worth it for that 40% so I bought it.  The low price is a master-stroke.

"Book 1: Rules", 64 pages, nothing new... but nice to have at the table as a reference document for the players. 
"Book 2: The World of Glorantha", 64 pages, 21 pages about Glorantha in general (nothing new), 39 pages new about Jonstown 
"Book 3: Soloquest", 60 pages, a Soloquest... but one that you as a GM, as well as each of your (new?) players can play multiple times
"Book 4: Adventures", 84 pages, two new adventures in and around Jonstown + a reinterpretation (second visit) to a well known classic
Map of Jonstown
Map of Northern Sartar
Maps of a cave complex
reference sheets
14 pregens (7 new and 7 old friends: fully fleshed out NPCs for you as GM!)

Just counting the four booklets and the 14 pregens: 
300 pages total
ca. 200 pages useful also for veteran GMs. 

2/3 of a Stater Set useful for veteran players is VERY good! Especially with this price tag. 

Edited by AndreJarosch
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Half the pre-gens were in the GM screen so not really new (and we're using some of them in our game already), but I am not really going to quibble over the actual percentage.  The PDFs look good and I am sure when the box arrives it will be great.  As a compleatist, I had to have it anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Videopete said:

Wasn't there supposed to be some non human pregen characters? I'm looking through the booklets in digital.

Some of them have nonhuman companions, maybe that's what you were thinking of? I don't recall any talk of nonhuman pregens, though they would be pretty neat.

Edited by Richard S.

This is a glorious product - congratulations to the Chaosium team. Lots of usable material - Jonstown especially. Australian fulfillment is (as ever) first-class.  Ordered it Wednesday evening when it went on sale, physical product arrived Friday morning. It will be a pleasure to read this on the deck with a flat white Saturday morning. 😎

• Like 1