Call of Cthulhu 7th Ed on Foundry VTT?

Anders Molin

5 hours ago, Anders Molin said:

Are there any plans to produce an official VTT module for Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition on Foundry VTT? I know there are a couple of unofficial ones, but I'm interested in Chaosium's stance. 

Yes, we are planning on getting all of our game systems onto Foundry VTT, starting with CoC. We only have limited resources to do that right now, so we have no ETA for when.

• Like 5

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

• 9 months later...

Hi, is there any news on this? I want to get back in to CoC having been away for the past 6 editions. The people I used to play with are scattered around the world so VTT is the most obvious choice. So I've got a VTT license etc but being able to buy digital content for VTT would be so helpful.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 9:24 AM, Rick Meints said:

Yes, we are planning on getting all of our game systems onto Foundry VTT, starting with CoC. We only have limited resources to do that right now, so we have no ETA for when.

Just make sure the new Cthulhu by Gaslight is on Fantasy Grounds soon after its print release.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For the existing Foundry implementation, I'd put forward my opinion that it's a little overly complicated and could use some trimming down. I'd like to see some toggles for things like the whole target and auto-remove damage stuff. Make it easier to use straight out of the box.

• 4 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 11:24 AM, Rick Meints said:

It's been 2 years. No updates? 

Honestly, it does not take 2 years to get a Foundry system and modules out if that is Chaoisum interest. Paizo, Free League and Cubicle 7 get their Foundry modules out basically within weeks of their books coming out.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 12:47 PM, AJ The Ronin said:

Honestly, it does not take 2 years to get a Foundry system and modules out if that is Chaoisum interest. Paizo, Free League and Cubicle 7 get their Foundry modules out basically within weeks of their books coming out.  

I'd add that what's there is kind of a mess. Needing to add the skills to the character sheet may make adapting different versions of CoC easier, but it's really cumbersome.

It's hard to do combat without a full on "tactical" thing with the targeting and all that which is an odd choice for a game that is more of the investigative type. What I mean here is things like getting a popup if you try to roll an attack without selecting a target and it refusing to roll damage unless you have a targe specified. The people on the Discord channel are great, but I don't think I'd ever have figured out any of the combat without their help. I just went in and I know there's something I'm supposed to do to define how many shots I'm taking when I'm doing multiple shots from a handgun, but damned if I can remember where it is.

I have to say that for me the Foundry version for CoC that already exists — and is FREE — is one of the best Foundry VTT implementations out there. Anyone who wants a more storytelling implementation can just ignore the fantastic detail provided  — which makes full use of the complete CoC game system a breeze — and simply  use the dice roller, the character sheet and the rule book.

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2023 at 7:56 AM, Numtini said:

I'd add that what's there is kind of a mess. Needing to add the skills to the character sheet may make adapting different versions of CoC easier, but it's really cumbersome.

It's hard to do combat without a full on "tactical" thing with the targeting and all that which is an odd choice for a game that is more of the investigative type. What I mean here is things like getting a popup if you try to roll an attack without selecting a target and it refusing to roll damage unless you have a targe specified. The people on the Discord channel are great, but I don't think I'd ever have figured out any of the combat without their help. I just went in and I know there's something I'm supposed to do to define how many shots I'm taking when I'm doing multiple shots from a handgun, but damned if I can remember where it is.

These types of stories about Foundry is why I stick with Roll20. 

Really no issues with Foundry and CoC for me. In fact, I think the implementation is absolutely brilliant and can’t imagine— aside from licensed content— what an official system would have that this doesn’t.

I also agree that CoC in Foundry works just fine with the "unofficial" module. I prefer Foundry by a long way over other systems which have predatory pricing models and data out of the control of users.

Back to the topic at hand though - there are two problems at the moment for CoC/Chaosium/Foundry as I see it:

1.  Chaosium, for whatever reason - known only to them, are dragging their heels on this - perhaps they could work with or endorse the existing 7E module?
  2. There must be a lot of duplicated effort out there. Since most VTT content is essentially data entry, by not having an official system or modules they are causing Keepers to have to enter the same data that many others must also be entering in order to play?
Edited by Hamish The PolarBear

On 2/18/2024 at 5:21 AM, Hamish The PolarBear said:
  1.  Chaosium, for whatever reason - known only to them, are dragging their heels on this - perhaps they could work with or endorse the existing 7E module?

It would be nice to have periodic updates on how its coming just to keep people interested. Or do preorder release of some content like Foundry items which mostly what is needed to get started.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont work for Chaosium or Roll20, but I am guessing from both The Bookshops of Arkham and The Graveyards of Arkham utilizing/advertising Roll20 there is a partnership/contract in place that might be limiting Chaosium from porting there stuff over to Foundry. Again this is just speculation on my part.

7 hours ago, EldorfDragonsbane said:

I dont work for Chaosium or Roll20, but I am guessing from both The Bookshops of Arkham and The Graveyards of Arkham utilizing/advertising Roll20 there is a partnership/contract in place that might be limiting Chaosium from porting there stuff over to Foundry. Again this is just speculation on my part.

Collaborating with Roll20 on Bookshops/Graveyards of Arkham has no bearing on us working with other VTTs, other than allocation of resources.

On 3/1/2024 at 5:51 AM, MOB said:

Collaborating with Roll20 on Bookshops/Graveyards of Arkham has no bearing on us working with other VTTs, other than allocation of resources.

Thanks for the clarification MOB, as I posted a partnership/contract with Roll20 was just speculation on my part of a possible reason other VTTs haven't gotten official CoC releases/updates. Makes sense that if you guys are using Roll20 currently in house for productions such as Graveyards that you will be allocating more of the resources to putting material out for that platform then other platforms.

Who knows what the future holds, the next Live play series could use a totally different VTT then either Foundry or Roll20, maybe even one that's both more user friendly and exclusively produced in house by Chaosium to support all their products (which I highly doubt, due to the additional costs and resources it would pull from other Chaosium projects, but one can always wish, lol).

• 1 month later...

I created an account here just to bump this topic! I play CoC on Foundry VTT with my team regularly. Obviously, we use unofficial character sheets. Things that are missing I add manually. But it would be so so awesome if we could get the official materials, monsters, NPCs, items, scenarios, etc. If we need to start a Kickstarter or something to raise money for this to happen I would happily contribute! CoC is the best RPG system for me and I love the features of Foundry VTT - together they work great!