BRP Adventures Contest 2010 - Preferred Genre Poll

What genre adventure would you most like to see in the 2010 BRP Adventures monograph?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What genre adventure would you most like to see in the 2010 BRP Adventures monograph?

• Science Fiction
    • Fantasy
    • Historical
    • Alternate History
    • Post Apocalypse
    • Western
    • Pulp
    • Horror
    • Contemporary Thriller
    • Other (explain)

I think its kind of odd that the poll about the same subject on Chaosiums weabsite seems to be giving totally different results. For example, over there, post apocalypse is the clear leader, and here it's almost dead last. Anyway, thought it would be kind of interesting to compare the two polls. Here are the Chaosium ones. The number before the slash is the number of votes, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Fantasy 1520 / 19 %

Historical 723 / 9 %

Horror 1587 / 20 %

Post Apocalypse 1650 / 21 %

Pulp 719 / 9 %

Science Fiction 1536 / 19 %

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Yeah - couple of interesting things. This first two BRP books had a lot of pulpy adventures in them, and yet there are no votes for pulp on the poll. Is that because people got their fill in the first two books? History here is getting the top nod, whereas a Chaosium it's well down. Now, they have something like 1700 votes, so their sample is much larger, but still. I can sense a strong desire here for historical material. There have been a few threads in the past few months regarding historical material, and they've been quite popular. The recent thread about fantasy worlds not so much. I think if it wasn't for the interest that Classic Fantasy has generated outside of BRP, sci-fi would be preferred in this poll to fantasy, too. Is there a correlation between liking BRP and liking history or sci-fi? I think there is with regards to history - I think BRP, with its gritty nature, is one of the best RPGs for playing history, so it seems natural that fans of history end up here. For the same reason, would it be inappropriate to guess that BRP fans would prefer hard SF to space fantasy?

Maybe post apocalyptic is more popular at chaosium because CoC already draws a crowd that appreciates the nihilistic? Or maybe because historical, sci-fi, and fantasy are already served by CoC. Are there any post apoc. CoC monographs?

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

CoC draws a crowd that appreciates the nihilistic

I disagree... Lovecraft's stories are certainly far from optimistic, but I don't think that they present a nihilistic worldview. Remember they were written appr. 100yrs ago, when science was still struggling with superstition. I think Lovecraft's fiction wanted to show its readers that man was *not* at the centre of the universe, but was but one tiny element of it. For me, that's not nihilistic... that's just realistic!

I disagree... Lovecraft's stories are certainly far from optimistic, but I don't think that they present a nihilistic worldview. Remember they were written appr. 100yrs ago, when science was still struggling with superstition. I think Lovecraft's fiction wanted to show its readers that man was *not* at the centre of the universe, but was but one tiny element of it. For me, that's not nihilistic... that's just realistic!

You make a good argument - nihilistic was probably the wrong word, since I was thinking more about the end of existence than the lack of existence. I was merely trying to say that the CoC game draws people that appreciate that kind of thing (inevitable doom). CoC has a reputation in the industry (justified or not) for promoting the downward spiral if characters into insanity and death. There is also the idea that no matter what the characters do, the world will still eventually end when Cthulhu rises. I'm just speculating that this perceived focus on endings in the CoC game might attract the same kind of crowd as a post apocalyptic game (which focusses on what happens during and after the end).

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb