Festivsls or celebrations

Squaredeal Sten

Thanksgiving here in the U.S. has made me think of festivals or celebrations in known Glorantha.  Other than SacredTime, I think - but am not certain - that there are no canon festivals or celebrations other than cult holy days. ? Perhaps a celebration of Voria in Sea Season, though I can,t reference its timing ?  Please correct me with any you can reference.

However non canon events include the planting and harvest events in Six Seasons in Sartar.  Which are also cult events, just not on the holy day calendar.  What other non canon celebrations can you reference?  Descriptions of them?

I believe the Lunars will have some religious and regime oriented celebrations.  Not sure where they may fall on the calendar.

Then there are the non agricultural populations.  How about events in Prax?  Do the Uz and/or the Aldryami celebrate repeating events on the calendar?  Has anyone written descriptions of such?

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Spacins and spelling.

There is a Thing/Moot/Wapentake (not sure of the terminology) in late spring for the Tribe. Sorry not perfectly clear. Saw it a long time ago here on BRP.  I would imagine Summer Solstice and Yule are marked though I wonder about the Equinoxes.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

37 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

However non canon events include the planting and harvest events in Six Seasons in Sartar.  Which sre also cult events, just not on the holy day calendar.  What other non canon celebrations can you refetence?  Descriptions of them?

I super like all the special days in HW/HQ publications like Thunder Rebels, Storm Tribe and Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes. They're so flavorful!

Just an example, that day the Odaylans go fishing and then see who can lie the best/worst about past catches. Or how the Ancestors go around visiting homes on Ancestor Day, grumbling about how people these days just can't maintain proper standards any longer.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Source?

These are all in the old HW/HQ Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe books.

20 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Other than SacredTime, I think - but am not certain - that there are no canon festivsls or crlebrations other than cult holy days. ? Perhaps a cekebration of Voria in Sea Season, though I can,t reference its timing ?  Please correct me with any you can reference.

However non canon events include the planting and harvest events in Six Seasons in Sartar.  Which sre also cult events, just not on the holy day calendar.

You'll find the Planting and Harvest festivals on the holy day calendars - you just have to realize that these are largely the Ernalda and Orlanth holy days of Seaseason and Earthseason respectively. 

In some places there are other special holy days - e.g. in the HQ work Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes, there is the Feast of Beasts in Harmony week, Seaseason.  This is Flamal's holy day, but celebrated around Clearwine with a focus on the Earth Temple.  Beastfolk from Beast Valley come to visit and partake in the early spring celebration (much like May Day used to be, I suspect).  The Fertility week ceremonies mark the blessings of the fields, and Planting largely concludes with the Movement week ceremonies of Orlanth bringing the rains.

IIRC, Orlanth's Fireseason rites are marked by ritual fairs at holy places like Larnste's Table.  (I think the Pegasus Plateau scenario is another Fireseason fair example.)

One would also presume that cult or local heroes would also have special days marked out for them. As well as specific events in gods' histories (but again, probably more local)... E.g., the day that X did Y. Not always considered a holy day per se...

In Esrolia, every day is a festival day 😛

On 11/26/2021 at 9:18 PM, Shiningbrow said:

One would also presume that cult or local heroes would also have special days marked out for them. As well as specific events in gods' histories (but again, probably more local)... E.g., the day that X did Y. Not always considered a holy day per se...

In Esrolia, every day is a festival day 😛

Party city ?  Can't be, they have to work some time to achieve their high staddard of living and exports.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
spelling / typing

Clan Founder Days would be important, as would local celebrations.

"The day we drove the so-And-So Clan from out lands" or "Apple Fall day" might be local celebrations, for example.

Celebrations of events that happened in the mythology of deities could be important celebrations.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

20 hours ago, soltakss said:

"The day we drove the so-And-So Clan from out lands" or "Apple Fall day" might be local celebrations, for example.

Or even defensive ritual days. "Long ago there was the day when it rained black blood, and a seer told us the right rituals to repel it. Now we perform the ritual every year - no-one wants to take any chances. Would you want to be the one responsible for calling it off?"

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

given how the Dark Season holy days are clustered I reckon there's at least a few weeks' sustained festivity around the Tarpit on the Shadow Plateau, celebrating the troll gods, grieving the Only Old One etc.  Humans willing to brave the Shadow Plateau in the dead of winter could make small fortunes selling cooked food to the celebrating trolls.

• Like 2