A female telmori gives birth on Wildday...

Scorus

I don't have a sure answer but if we go by the bestiary, children born of Telmori parents are automatically initiated into the cult. Assuming both parents are Telmori, I would guess the gift of transformation is inherent. They are born as a baby werewolf and revert to human form the following day.

It also mentions Telmori children play with the wolf cubs, so maybe the rite to be recognized as an adult involves choosing the wolf you will bond with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scorus said:

...What comes out?

A Telmori.  Visible number of limbs an incidental!

2 hours ago, Scorus said:

I remember reading somewhere that Telmori don't begin transforming until they reach maturity, but I doubt that was a canonical source.

I dunno.  They might not follow the same pattern of adulthood and religious initiation as the Orlanthi, of course, and the automatic transformation may depend on either or neither of those.  The offspring might also be a non-sentient wolfcub, an awakened one, or a two-legged telmori child...  same as every other day of the week, really.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scorus said:

...What comes out?

different options, but is it possible ? maybe the transformation "blocks" the birth until the crisis time is over ?

if there is, you can imagine:

- it is a strong wolf, a brother one, with INT. never change into human form, except with the runemagic => aka the wolf can become a temlori initiate

- it is a werewolf baby, and it will get its human form just after the day, and will follow the standard.

- it is a werewolf baby, and it will stay a werewolf, except with the rune magic

- it is a human baby, as usual

and it may gain or not (in any option) some chaotic feature

and it may lost its mother (after all what happens in Vegas wildday stays in wildday)

3 hours ago, Alex said:

What, 15% of the population?  That's quite the production line they have there!  <movie voiceover person>  Telmoriland, Tula of Heroes...</voice>

Let's think about what would happen if a female Telmori in the in-between form and rage drops a human child. Would she savage it?

In that case, Telmori would have a 14% child mortality just by weekday, or their shamans know to accelerate birth so this doesn't happen.

And a child that somehow survives despite being born on a Wildday would be sufficiently rare to have hero pressed on to it

THere is a scenario in this - a highly pregnant Telmori woman was caught or otherwise separated from her pack, and now begs the PC to help her deliver the cub safely.

Or you can sneak that into the characters' back-story on character creation, or their parents'.

How exactly do the Telmori feel about their day of invulnerable raging madness? And do they remember their actions?

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 12/4/2021 at 8:07 AM, Joerg said:

How exactly do the Telmori feel about their day of invulnerable raging madness? And do they remember their actions?

They're not smart, but they still have INT.  I think, given that they worship Telmor, that they're rather in favour of the invulnerability, and anyhow, you're in their way, you really want to just hand over the cattle and leave.

It's not werewolfism as we know it from Earth tropes.  It's people who turn into semi-intelligent wolves because they were given a gift.  They might dislike the Chaos of the gift, but the thing itself?  It is the basis of their entire lifestyle.

Can you point me to where we're told the Telmori rage?  I think they have to change, but there's no frothing at the mouth involved unless they want to, RAW.

Edited by Diana Probst
Pedantry

1 hour ago, Diana Probst said:

Can you point me to where we're told the Telmori rage?  I think they have to change, but there's no frothing at the mouth involved unless they want to, RAW.

RQ3 Dorastor, Land of Doom p.25:

All Gloranthans, including most Telmori, know that the Telmori are cursed with chaos and must become unreasoning, savage beasts under the full moon, to dash about in the forest slaughtering man and beast alike in frenzied bloodlust. For the most part, this is the true history, for the Telmori usually encountered are the ones in savage wolf form, and the signs typically seen are the torn corpses of werewolves' victims.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I guess this is really the curse of Gbaji. At first, the promise of fully transforming into four-legged Telmori (wolves) on every Wild Day must have seemed like a gift to them, but it was actually a curse because it forces the Telmori to become murderous killing machines, and therefore hated wherever they go. On page 255 of Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes, it also says wolf companions become two-legged Telmori on Wild Days (!).

I guess the Telmori Royal Guard lock themselves in on the eve of Wild Day.

• Like 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

Just now, Rodney Dangerduck said:

I haven't checked his math, but one of our players calculated that the area of the Telmori tribe is an order of magnitude too small to support that many carnivores who have no real farming or herding or Ernaldan blessings etc.  By that reckoning, they raid neighbors because they are starving.

I assume they're not strictly carnivorous by diet -- heck, even wolves aren't the most carnivorous of, um, carnivores, and they're anatomically humans for (almost) 6/7ths of the time (given or taken a ton of Extension on that there rune magic).  But if they don't have any agriculture -- unfree/semifree Temori vendref anyone? -- it does sound like they'd have an overdensity problem.  Even if they herd, which doesn't seem to be entirely incompatible with the hsunchen shtick.  Of course in a way this is the War Clan phenomenon writ large.  Whether plausibly so or not I dunno.

They may of course be hunting over a larger area than their own tula.  Including possibly into Prax and Dagori Inkarth.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 10:57 PM, Shiningbrow said:

A new hero for the Hero Wars, blessed by their gods... 

Oh yeah, met one of those in-game once, negotiating the kid's release after he got caught lurking around an Orlanthi cattle herd helped build very useful good relations with the Telmori.  Turned out the kid's Telmor-blessed nose had caught scent of a broo infestation among the cattle, which meant a long night of healing magic and spirit combat to cleanse the herd.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 1:15 PM, Joerg said:

RQ3 Dorastor, Land of Doom p.25:

Sounds like anti-Telmori propaganda to me. The Bestiary says nothing of the sort, merely that their dire wolf forms go roaming in the countryside. Nothing about rage or bloodthirstiness.