Keeping adventurers from different homelands together

GoldShogun

4 hours ago, Bren said:

As long as they aren't in Prax, it's not so hard for the Praxian to keep the cursing to mutterings under their breath since the horse riding prohibition doesn't really apply to the rich, fat, grassy lands of strangers. "Just let him try and bring that finicky, water guzzling, grass eater to my country and see how well it does."

Well, I did say in terms that it's be muttered under their respective breaths.  Not (necessarily) bellowed at the top of their lungs during a lance charge. 🙂

17 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

Another idea:

Both the Grazelander and the Orlanthi are competing for the hand of the Ernaldan. There are mythical reasons for it, as both Yelm and Orlanth competed for her. Also, both the Grazelander and Orlanthi families would benefit from such a marriage, but she is to choose her groom after he has properly shown his value, and has forced both to swear they won't harm each other no matter how. The Ernaldan is thus the leader of the party, and they go on missions where the Yelmite and the Orlanthi are always trying to outdo the other.

The Praxian is her bodyguard since the Siege of Nochet.

I love this.

6 minutes ago, RHW said:

I love this.

Yep. Ernalda can hold a load of disparate cults together. Ernalda+Orlanth gets you a giant chain of associations.

Another good unifier is Argrath, who is perfectly willing to band very diverse groups together.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the advice, all of it has been very helpful in giving me reasons for why the group should stick together in the long term!

Particularly like the Yelm vs Orlanthi competition for the Ernaldans hand but also like the idea of giving them a shared benefactor be it Argarth himself or a merchant. Might end up using both!

All four of the players do have some shared history, with the main one of note all four of them being present in the battle of Pennel Ford so we worked together and decided that's where they all first met.

Again thanks for all the tips and if anyone else has had groups from diverse homelands feel free to share!

• Like 1

Even without the Ernalda thing, it's important to remember that Orlanth and Yelm made peace with each other at the end of the Lightbringers Quest, arguably the most important myth among the Heortlings and one they repeat every year. If "Orlanth" is willing to offer friendship and "Yelm" is willing to accept it, they're acting as their gods would just as well as if they were acting like ritual enemies or competitors.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Leingod said:

Even without the Ernalda thing, it's important to remember that Orlanth and Yelm made peace with each other at the end of the Lightbringers Quest, arguably the most important myth among the Heortlings and one they repeat every year. If "Orlanth" is willing to offer friendship and "Yelm" is willing to accept it, they're acting as their gods would just as well as if they were acting like ritual enemies or competitors.

Right.  As Gloranthan history and myth rather lavishly illustrate, all options are open, between "World Council" and "stabby-stabby-stabby".

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2021 at 11:28 PM, GoldShogun said:

Any advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated and any information/tips on how others have kept multi-homeland adventurers together would be great to know!

Here are some reasons that might work:

• They are friends
  • They have shared experiences
  • They are joined together in some way
  • They have made common enemies

As a GM, I never overthink this, the Adventurers are together because they are together.

As a Player, my concern is "What does my Adventurer want to so?" and I react accordingly. If my Adventurer wants to leave the Party, then it will do so and I'll roll up another Adventurer. If another Adventurer wants to leave the party then fine, their problem.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here