Why does everyone hate Daka Fal?

Ladygolem

8 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Heort was a shaman, a practitioner of quid-pro-quo on a personal level, eye-to-eye rather than looking upward. And I think he instilled quite a lot of that into his followers, alongside the "looking up" approach of Hantrafal. That may have been part of his trouble with Orlanth, and possibly why he died of the Lightning Bolt.

Sure.  What I don't get is how that factors out into Daka Fal practice, vs 'normal' god-compatible clan-ancestral rites (assuming they're still a thing), vs any other shamanic practices.  Granted there's a clear conceptual distinction from the Kolati tradition, but I'd guess there's scope for a degree of double-jobbing there too:  what's the shamans per clan norm, anyway?

following what I understand and extrapolate ( ==> I don't say the rules are what I do)

Daka Fal in the rules can be seen as an entity you worship (like a god, etc...) or a game mechanics concept  (you don't worship DF directly , you worship a group or one ancestor, etc... providing exactly the same spells and powers + specific ones)

So if you worship your ancestor (you are shaman or not) in a XXX culture, you have no issue with XXX, as your ancestors worshipped XXX pantheon (XXX = Yelm, Ernalda, Orlanth, Magasta, what you want)

but if you worship Daka Fal himself for any mysical reason , without any mediator, without any community role

you may be hostile like your entity : devotion Daka Fal may indicate the average level of hostility you have against the gods

how many shaman would worship Daka Fal directly, without clan ancestors mask, without any mediator, without any community role ?

I would say some shamans who lost their bound with a community (for good or bad reasons) They may be resentful toward communities or just jealous, as the first dead was when he saw those who were not dead -the gods- .

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

you may be hostile like your entity : devotion Daka Fal may indicate the average level of hostility you have against the gods

I like this a lot - a character could pick between Devotion (Ancestors) and Devotion (Daka Fal) to indicate where the focus lies.

8 hours ago, Alex said:

Sure.  What I don't get is how that factors out into Daka Fal practice, vs 'normal' god-compatible clan-ancestral rites (assuming they're still a thing), vs any other shamanic practices.  Granted there's a clear conceptual distinction from the Kolati tradition, but I'd guess there's scope for a degree of double-jobbing there too:  what's the shamans per clan norm, anyway?

Probably close to zero, as few Sartarite clans would have shaman members, and few shamans would be bound to follow the authority of a clan chieftain. Shamans tend to live outside of those social structures, but lack the clan-equivalent structure of a major cult. IMG many Daka Fal shamans are likely to wander between their client places, attend funerals and are called to bless new-born with ancestral presentation and attention.

They may have assistants from and in each of the clans they service, and travel with a small retinue of assistants and temporary pupils aiming to learn a spell or some other ancestral skill, possibly from an ancestor held in this world by the shaman.

Where RQG talks about initiation rates, that's initiation to the main deities and some of the rarer cults. I don't know whether Daka Fal is included in those rarer cults, or in the number of people not initiated to the Orlanthi cults. Quite certainly, a large number of those non-cult-initiates will be active lay members of Daka Fal, as well as Orlanth and Ernalda (if only for the food).

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 12/8/2021 at 2:26 AM, jajagappa said:

Daka Fal, aka Grandfather Mortal, is the first being to die - killed by the actions of the gods. 

That's what I was going to say.

He bears a grudge for being killed and for all the Deities that came after him, forcing him to become the Judge of the Dead and all the mindless judging of petty deities and mortals that followed.

Basically, he is bitter and hates his job, so hates almost everyone because of it.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here