RuneQuest: Weapons & Equipment - corrections thread

MOB

Page 67

Knapping is a specialty of the Craft skill (RuneQuest, pages 185–186), primarily used in remote areas but still among some urban folk still.

--Easier to read?

Page 67

equal number of points to a minimum of 0. Thus, a stone knife, normally 1D3+1 damage, that has suffered 2 points of damage has its damage reduced by –2, to 1D3–1, minimum of 0.

--Makes sense this way

Page 69

See the rules for Grappling (RuneQuest, page 224).

Edited by Jason D

I'm tracking notes from my own read-through in a Google doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TNoroK03aPKqpUi0VMJno_VQytvy77UOeqVKeMQEIHk/edit?usp=sharing

I'll mention in a new comment when I make significant updates. I've currently reached "Pottery" in the A Bronze Age World chapter.

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

p50 - Healing - " (or the nearest temple, if the healer is unaffiliated with a temple)" - why would a temple get the money, and not some organisation that the healer is affiliated with? This doesn't really make a lot of sense to me...

"if an adventurer is saved from disease or poison or maiming or death by the actions of a healer," - do we really need all those conjunctions? Just separate with a comma, and then the 'or' for the last.

Massage - "then the client is anointing with a layer of oil and massaged" - should be annointed.

Mentioned previously, but instead of the feminine "masseuse", and the corresponding masculine of 'masseur', you could just use the generic (gender-neutral) "(massage) therapist".

Still P50... Compose a Love Poem - balLad - unless you're using some strange spelling or non-standard English version of the word.

P51 - following on from the previous section on poems, songs, etc, it has a short section on Heralds, but then has another paragraph relating to famous bards knowing where the audiences are... I'd suggest moving this to before the bit on Heralds. (also, speaking of Heralds - it might be a good idea to suggestion who won't care about them...Do Issaries heralds enjoy safety in troll lands, akin to Argan Argar initiates?)

Edited by Jason D

p55 - Inns & Residences - "A Yelm cultist who places something under his protection has the responsibility of a ruler to keep their word and to protect". I suggest changing something to someone (or just adding it), to make sense in this context. Also, add "them" to the end of the sentence.

p56 - Funerary Rites - first sentence - "Death in all its forms are inevitable parts of life" - should be singular (ie, "Death... is an inevitable part...").

Also p56 - under Burial Marker - "along with other information as their cult" - information such as their cult - or whatever it was supposed to say, but left out.

Cont'd - "Usually takes two days to make longer if it is ornate." Need to separate the ideas here, such as with a dash between 'make' and 'longer'.

Cenotaph - "...or even one who had achieved Herodom". The 'even' implies that those who achieve herodom wouldn't normally get a cenotaph... whereas it's much more likely that they would!! (certainly more likely than a lousy God Talker!) So, either ditch the 'even', or change the 'Herodom' down a tier to ''acted heroically" or similar.

Edited by Jason D

P8 - are there any rules for how masterwork items are made - maybe special craft roll is one benefit, and a crit is 2?

P 12& 14 is unenchanted gloranthan gold heaver then lead (2x enc compared to 1.5 enc)?

P 14 enchanted ron [sic] states it "does normal damage against creatures such as werewolves that are immune to normal weapons, but subject to magical weapons." - I thought all enchanted rune metals did this, but it doesn't say so for the others

P14 sidebar lists Maran Gor as having Enchant Iron, but RQ Roleplaying in Glorantha has Maran Gor with Enchant Copper. Also Orlanth seems to have gained Enchant Silver - would have thought Tin would be more appropriate

P61 - has picture of spiked staff, but it doesn't appear in any table  or have a description

P76 War Gear - doesn't appear to have enc for any of the items?

P85 the description for Full Helm states "severely limits vision and hearing", but what is the penalty in game terms?

Edited by Jason D

P110 the Land Improvements table

Time to build for Caravanserai, Large and Caravanserai, Small seem to have been transposed.  The larger one should presumable take longer.  The prices are different in the table and in the main text.

In fact, that table disagrees with the main text in prices throughout.  The alphabetical order is wrong, and should be Aqueduct; Bridge, Stone; Bridge Wood; Caravanserai, Large; Caravanserai, Small; Cistern, Coppicing...  This is correct in the main text.

All of the prices for that table need to be checked against the main text.

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 1

Pg 4. The Market Size and Item Availability Chart.

In the text that describes this charts use it skips what the modifiers are for, so its unclear if these are modifiers for trying to find non common items or any item. Or if these are Bargain modifiers for when checking for the price. 

Edited by Jason D

p.126 Trail Stones:

but when
attuned (see the section on power-storing crystals in
the RuneQuest Gamemaster Sourcebook)

Perhaps this could say "(see p.120)" as the rules are also in this book.

Or, actually, should be "(see p.122)" as the rules for attuning these kinds of items are different.

Edited by Jason D

p. 125, Green Cube description:

The gamemaster should determine what this is by rolling a D100. On a result of 01 it produces a protective Axe Daughter who swears herself to the nearest Ernaldan, friend or foe, for a year’s service. On a roll of 21–00 it is another gem from this or any other gem list but can also be a handful of grain of a local variety.

What happens on a roll of 02–20?

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 3

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

p. 95, third paragraph in Watercraft section: broken parallelism in "Boats and ships are common methods of travel along Glorantha’s coasts, waterways, and across its seas." Suggest recasting as: "Boats and ships are common methods of travel along Glorantha's coasts and waterways and across its seas."

Edited by Jason D

— 

p. 111, second paragraph of Profits & Losses subsection: "During any harvest that results in a bonus to the Income roll, part or all the bonus maybe stockpiled" should be "During any harvest that results in a bonus to the Income roll, part or all of the bonus may be stockpiled".

Edited by Jason D

— 

p. 112, Land Events table, 51–55 Wildfire and 61–70 Minor Raid entries: replace - (hyphen) with (en dash) in –10 penalties to match style of all other entries in the table.

p. 112, Land Events table, 56–60 Pests entry: "An infestation by insects—locusts, bloodflies, wasps, fleas, mosquitos, etc.—vermin such as mice, rats, etc." should be "An infestation by insects—locusts, bloodflies, wasps, fleas, mosquitos, etc.—or vermin such as mice, rats, etc."

p. 112, Land Events table, 81–85 Major Raid and 91–95 Invasion entries both say, "…the next year’s Harvest roll is impacted." By how much? All other entries that affect the Harvest roll specify penalty values.

Edited by Jason D

— 

p. 114, first column, fourth paragraph (starting with "Cult skills can always be learned…"): "some service may be required in stead of traditional payment" should probably be "some service may be required instead of traditional payment".

p. 114, second column, second paragraph (with page references omitted): "Skill groups are grouped by occupations and those taught by cults." This sentence probably belongs with the list of three broad skill types under the Finding a Skill Trainer heading on p. 113, but even if it's moved, I don't understand what it's telling me. Seems superfluous given that we've already got the definitions for common, professional, and magical skills, and "skill groups are grouped…" just confuses me further. Suggest dropping this sentence/paragraph altogether.

Edited by Jason D

— 

p. 115, Types of Characteristic Training section, POW bullet point: "An appropriate temple can train POW to its members and to those from associated cults" should probably be "An appropriate temple can train POW for its members and for those from associated cults".

p. 116, first paragraph of Improving a Characteristic Through Research section, first sentence: "It is also possible to self-teach oneself" is superfluous. Suggest recasting as "It is also possible to teach oneself".

At the end of the same sentence, "whether through discipline, exercise, experimentation, and eliminating any unfavorable habits" has broken parallelism; suggest recasting as "whether through discipline, exercise, experimentation, or eliminating any unfavorable habits". (I'd write "or elimination of unfavorable habits", myself, to better match "experimentation".)

p. 116, second paragraph of Improving a Characteristic Through Research section: "multiplied by ×5" is superfluous. Suggest recasting as "multiplied by 5".

Edited by Jason D

— 

p. 117, Etyries Spell Exchange subsection, first paragraph, first sentence: "Another means of learning spirit magic, practiced primarily in the Lunar Empire and where Etyries cults or traders are found, is through the Etyries’ cult Rune spell Spell Exchange allows the caster to trade possession of one spirit magic spell of their choice for another spell known by someone else." This is a run-on, and also uses the wrong name for the Rune spell in question according to The Red Book of Magic p. 49; suggest recasting as "Another means of learning spirit magic, practiced primarily in the Lunar Empire and where Etyries cults or traders are found, is through the Etyries’ cult Rune spell Exchange Spells, which allows the caster to trade possession of one spirit magic spell of their choice for another spell known by someone else."

Edited by Jason D

—