Runequest Q&A

Scotty

On 6/21/2022 at 3:33 PM, PhilHibbs said:

RQG p.357

When Vishi Dunn becomes a shaman, he gives 5 points of his 19 POW to his fetch. Since he now has a POW of 14, he does not meet the basic requirements for priesthood (p.276 "Have a POW of 18 or higher."). Does he count as a priest of Waha, or does he still need to meet the basic requirements in order to function as a priest?

Or, do you consider whether his combined personal and fetch POW is 18 or higher as per The Well?

Use the rules for rune priests involuntary loss on page page 278. Although it's a voluntary loss, it's needed to become a rune priest-shaman.

On 6/21/2022 at 3:41 PM, Akhôrahil said:

From the rulings:

image.png.507ad763eafdbb4199a485f8a53a07b7.png

This seems huge. So this includes POW for Skill Category Modifiers and Spirit Combat? It's "always" and "all", after all.

I've rephrased this too reflect the key phrase is all situations involving the shaman's POW. Look at the situation the shaman is in and apply the rule. I've also added the phrasing from the expanded CHA to clarify further.

The fetch’s POW is always added to that of the shaman’s when they are together. This combined POW is used in all situations involving the shaman’s POW, but does not affect the shaman’s natural POW.

For example if the shaman is in the Spirit World and the Fetch is occupying or guarding their body, you would not add their POW together. The situation is that they are in separate places.

Likewise if the shaman and fetch are in separate spirit combat, you wouldn't add them together. If only the shaman was in the spirit combat, and the fetch was present could you do so.

The situation doesn't arise when calculating Skill Category Modifiers, but would arise in Spirit Combat if the fetch is present.

But if so:

image.png.55db92fbd512af6ac2dedbb288c54353.png

Here the fetch's POW doesn't seem to be added for Spirit Combat Damage (as in that case, it would be 2d6+6).

If the fetch wasn't in spirit combat or casting spells, yes. His combined usual POW & CHA is 33 plus 11 would be 44 and he could do 2D6+6. Remember the fetch is now defenceless, so Vishi would need to cast some defensive magic on it.

So is the intention instead that the Fetch's POW is only added to the shaman's POW for purpose like POW vs. POW rolls, POW x 5% rolls,

Yes. Depending on the situation

MP regeneration

No they are calculated separately per page 358.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

On 7/5/2022 at 10:05 AM, Brian Duguid said:

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere.

In the RQ:G Q&A at https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/catalogue/publishers/chaosium/runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha/cha4028-runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha-qa-by-chapter/cha4028-runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha-chapter-15-shamans/#ib-toc-anchor-3 it refers to assistant shamans discorporating by "casting [Discorporation] on themselves or having someone else (like their shaman) cast it on them."

In RQ:G and RBoM, both have the spell as Self only i.e. cannot be cast on others. This is in line with RQ:G page 367, where Vasana is taught by Argrath how to Discorporate, rather than simply Argrath using his magic upon Vasana.

So: is the magic Self only, or can it be used to Discorporate someone else, as per the Q&A?

Strictly speaking it is self only. However there are often situations in a game where one person discorporating will lead to a the GM having to leave the rest of the group out as they run that section. Using MGF (page 6), you can always bend the rules to keep your game fun. I have often had shaman have the shamanic ability of Discorporate others. or even a rune spell of Discorporate others. The Horned Man works in mysterious ways. Here is an example I wrote using Discorporate Other:

As a rune spell: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/9621-gaining-shamanic-abilities/#comment-141711

As a shamanic ability (Discorporate other, Spirit Snatch, Spirit Traveller, or whatever name you choose to call it), I always make the target pay the magic point costs (5mps + 1mp if Extended Discorporation).

• Like 1

P.273:

Vasana calls for Orlanth to request divine intervention...

…The gamemaster tells her player to roll.

There is no mention here of spending a permanent rune point prior to rolling, which could lead us to think that a Rune Lord doesn’t need to do that. It’s clear from the text on p.272 that they do.

Pictures were taken from an old version of the PDF, my apologies I didn't think the PDF had been updated. It now matches the printed book. I have updated this post to reflect outstanding queries about the latest version only.

Weapons & Equipment p.13:

image.png.cd2aa1b97bbaf6255d43aac5cf6ad3a0.png

Is this Hu-metal (bronze)? It has the Air rune on it and is crafted into a weapon.

image.png.b0bde507ff966e1e7686e6c597a80d7e.png

Is this Ga-metal (copper)? It's been minted into clacks.

image.png.412fc99b67a8d82dc7c008d85251382f.png

In the PDF, this used to say Ur-metal, iron. Was that correct? The updated PDF and printed book however this as Hu-metal (bronze). The handle looks like bronze, but the death rune on the ingot clearly indicates that the illustration is supposed to be the iron blade.

image.png.353f4ca47b25cf407ce992203dc5f630.png

Very minor point, the M of "metal" is in capitals whereas all the others are lower case.

Edited by PhilHibbs